+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Samsung Takes Additional Jabs At Apple

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,870
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 121 Times in 106 Posts

    Default Samsung Takes Additional Jabs At Apple


    According to Samsung, “Apple claims that the iPad’s design is exclusively its own, but the design existed long before the iPad,” found in the The Korea Times. Following Samsung’s demands for a preliminary injunction against the new iPhone 4S in France and Italy; it seems that Apple’s iPad design rights in Europe have been filed for nullification. The application at hand was filed originally on August 9th at the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (OHIM).

    If the whole ordeal turns out in Samsung’s favor, then Apple’s cases in Europe against the Galaxy Tab 10.1 would probably see a change in verdict. According to critics, Apple’s design rights were too basic and were mentioned to be applicable to a variety of different products including digital photo frames, TVs, and basically any item with a simple display around the border.

    Regardless of what critics said though, the German courts awarded Apple an injunction against the Galaxy Tab 10.1. The injunction was initially effective across Europe but later ended up being an issue for sales in Germany specifically. The Samsung Galaxy Tab was found to be copying Apple’s registered iPad design, which is why a judge continued to uphold the ban.

    Samsung seems to firing back by trying to block the sales of the iPhone 4S in European countries due to 3G WCDMA related patent infringement. It has been said that more injunction requests will be filed in the near future.

    Furthermore, after many customers were complaining about the iPhone 4S, Samsung saw this as an opportunity to flaunt its Galaxy S II. The rival smartphone maker created a comparison sheet which compared the Galaxy S II to Apple’s iPhone 4S, as noted by the folks over at The Unlockr.



    The comparison highlights the areas where the Galaxy S II comes out on top when being compared to the iPhone 4S which include the fact that the S II has 4G, an AMOLED display, a larger screen, a stronger front-facing camera, better video capture/playback, weighs less, has a removable battery, can be used as an HDTV remote control, has an external memory slot for a microSD card, and is boasting more affordable pricing with no memory limitations. The company also seems to point out that unlike Apple, it will begin selling the device on the T-Mobile network next week as well.

    The topic of Apple being a “closed ecosystem” also came up and Samsung tried to flaunt the fact that Galaxy S II users have a choice to purchase music from a variety of different services, the choice to use multiple cloud services, and the option to use a variety of different video clients. All of which, can’t be done on Apple’s iOS platform as users are restricted to using the App Store and services such as iCloud.

    With Samsung already seeking injunction against the iPhone 4S, the rival companies continue to complicate their relations with one another. I personally don’t think this back and forth between the two will get anywhere productive for the tech industry. Eventually one of the two will come out on top and as of right now, it seems like it will be Apple. As per Samsung’s spec sheet comparing its Galaxy S II to the iPhone 4S, I personally feel that hardware isn’t the reason why people go for the iPhone or Apple products as a whole, but rather the software and user experience – which I personally think is much better on the iPhone.

    What do you think of the whole situation between Apple and Samsung? On another note, will you be purchasing the iPhone 4S or have you already gotten/plan on getting the Galaxy S II? Share your thoughts and opinions below!

    Source: The Korea Times, The Unlockr

  2. #2
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    49
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    I will upgrade my 3g to the 4s. I messed around with the S II and it was ok. The cameras were nice on the S II but I love my unlimited data and only use 150 or so texts. 4G is just a gimmick like 3D phones right now.

  3. #3
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Orlando, Fl
    Posts
    243
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 41 Times in 31 Posts

    The author of this article thinks people purchase phones because of software and user experience rather than hardware, which he believes is much better on the iPhone. My question to him is, have you even tried and used the new Galaxy S 2? I don't believe you have because I haven't met one person that would prefer the iPhone over the Galaxy S 2 after using both side by side. There is no comparison! The GS2 is hands down a much better device, both in user experience, OS and hardware. I know it is hard for Apple fans to admit that their beloved device has been kicked off the mountain top, but it has. Sorry! The truth is the truth!

  4. #4
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    i´m switching to S II, im sick of the dam IOS.

  5. #5
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

    If it was just about hardware and specs....who would actually have an iPhone. There is no point in having a 400hp engine under the hood if you have no steering wheel.

  6. #6
    MMi Staff Writer Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,870
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 121 Times in 106 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Go Gators View Post
    The author of this article thinks people purchase phones because of software and user experience rather than hardware, which he believes is much better on the iPhone. My question to him is, have you even tried and used the new Galaxy S 2? I don't believe you have because I haven't met one person that would prefer the iPhone over the Galaxy S 2 after using both side by side. There is no comparison! The GS2 is hands down a much better device, both in user experience, OS and hardware. I know it is hard for Apple fans to admit that their beloved device has been kicked off the mountain top, but it has. Sorry! The truth is the truth!
    I have tried the Galaxy S II at a Samsung exclusive event in NYC long before it was released. Although the phone did seem very fluent, fast, and appealing I still felt that the iOS had more convenience and overall use when it comes to the user experience (hence my opinion). I'm not looking to pick an argument here though. Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion so if you feel that way about the S II, I can totally understand your point of view!

  7. #7
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Aumz View Post
    If it was just about hardware and specs....who would actually have an iPhone. There is no point in having a 400hp engine under the hood if you have no steering wheel.
    Exactly, throwing around hardware number is like having a whos .... is the biggiest contest, having the biggiest doesnt mean your the best performer, lol. i want an experience but a bunch of hardware specs and mumbo jumbo thrown at me

  8. #8
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Go Gators View Post
    The author of this article thinks people purchase phones because of software and user experience rather than hardware, which he believes is much better on the iPhone. My question to him is, have you even tried and used the new Galaxy S 2? I don't believe you have because I haven't met one person that would prefer the iPhone over the Galaxy S 2 after using both side by side. There is no comparison! The GS2 is hands down a much better device, both in user experience, OS and hardware. I know it is hard for Apple fans to admit that their beloved device has been kicked off the mountain top, but it has. Sorry! The truth is the truth!
    People do purchased phone for the software and the user experience....where have you been...? the appeal of iOS is that its so simple to use for a smart phone,. I have not have had the chance to try the GS2 but i have tried out Android for a few days( temporary trade my iphone 4 with a friend Mytouch 4g) his phone was not rooted or had anything extra install, but it was so laggy from everyday use, and i was ready to go back to my iphone 4....yes android offers customization and widget...but i personally dont find it that appealing ( my opinion as a normal consumer, not a tech geek). Apple has the right formula that the majority of people want, where as android only appeal to power user and tech geek, and that's why iphone will always be the phone to beat. My own personal opinion of course.

  9. #9
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Go Gators View Post
    The author of this article thinks people purchase phones because of software and user experience rather than hardware, which he believes is much better on the iPhone. My question to him is, have you even tried and used the new Galaxy S 2? I don't believe you have because I haven't met one person that would prefer the iPhone over the Galaxy S 2 after using both side by side. There is no comparison! The GS2 is hands down a much better device, both in user experience, OS and hardware. I know it is hard for Apple fans to admit that their beloved device has been kicked off the mountain top, but it has. Sorry! The truth is the truth!

    When did Apple get kicked off the mountaintop? If Samsung had all this technology and didn't do a thing with it....shame on them! Everyone is trying to topple Apple, not Samsung. I know if I had created something that would change how everyone uses a phone, I wouldn't let anyone steal it from me.....Samsung needs to go back to the drawing board and get it right the next time around. We'll see how many people climb back up the mountain on October 14th. Excuse me, where's the line for Samsung Galaxy S2 or any of Samsung products....ok, they have Apple beat on the HDTV's...I'll give them that!

  10. #10
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,124
    Thanks
    163
    Thanked 179 Times in 154 Posts

    I too have used both the Galaxy S II and iPhone and personally don't like the Galaxy much at all. It's probably one of the best Android phones, but that's not saying much. not mention touchwiz ripped off iOS. I'll be sticking with iPhone for quite a while. And if i ever did switch, I'd go to windows phone before I'd go android. Specs aren't everything. Apple tries to make and overall better, quality product But looking through out the phone on how to make it better. And don't just add Megapixels or processor speed. They go above to make the camera and performance actually better, not just make it look good on paper.

  11. #11
    I'm not a star Imahottguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MI, USA
    Posts
    2,440
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 164 Times in 143 Posts

    Quite frankly, I have not encountered a single Android phone that has been able to best iOS in terms of software and UI experience. Anyone who buys a phone on specs alone is setting themselves up for fail. Apple realizes that after a certain point, specs don't matter. Why battle over who can throw in the best RAM, or external media slots, or convex glass screen (lol, had to laugh at that)? I enjoy several manufacturers when it comes to phones/tablets/netbooks/computers, but my personal preference has been iPhone since the 1st Gen. I've said it before, and I will say it again: you know a mobile OS is difficult to use when your coworkers are constantly asking for help with their "droid"; can't seem to figure out their "droid". I tell them to get an iPhone, and when they do- no more questions! iOS is as simple as slide to unlock and go! I don't consider myself a fanboy, I'm not, I own several different prodcuts, like my Pantech P7000 phone that I am using right now. I do consider myself a pro at using iOS, and am still utterly lost in Android. Android is the least logical UI I have ever seen! No offense to the fandroids... //ramblings

  12. #12
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    Quite frankly, I have not encountered a single Android phone that has been able to best iOS in terms of software and UI experience. Anyone who buys a phone on specs alone is setting themselves up for fail. Apple realizes that after a certain point, specs don't matter. Why battle over who can throw in the best RAM, or external media slots, or convex glass screen (lol, had to laugh at that)? I enjoy several manufacturers when it comes to phones/tablets/netbooks/computers, but my personal preference has been iPhone since the 1st Gen. I've said it before, and I will say it again: you know a mobile OS is difficult to use when your coworkers are constantly asking for help with their "droid"; can't seem to figure out their "droid". I tell them to get an iPhone, and when they do- no more questions! iOS is as simple as slide to unlock and go! I don't consider myself a fanboy, I'm not, I own several different prodcuts, like my Pantech P7000 phone that I am using right now. I do consider myself a pro at using iOS, and am still utterly lost in Android. Android is the least logical UI I have ever seen! No offense to the fandroids... //ramblings
    this is all personal preferences guys. i was one of the first to get the iphone 2g, the 3gs, and i even toyed around with the iphone 4 a bit. but im an android user now. like i said its personal preferences, ios is fluid but so simple and plain. gets boring to me quickly. now if i were to get my 56yr old mom i wouldnt get her an android but an iphone. she wont be a pro pro in ios but she will manage. now with android she will probably be lost.

  13. #13
    iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    218
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    apple is a “closed ecosystem” and "closed minded" company...

  14. #14
    Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,824
    Thanks
    490
    Thanked 676 Times in 362 Posts

    To all you who are typing long *** posts about the galaxy s 2 being better than the iphone... Sure it has better specs, but whats the point in having better hardware when the software can NOT take advantage of it? im sure that when the 4s comes out, and we run a side by side comparison with the galaxy, they will be NECK AND NECK, no questions about it, iphones are behind the times with hardware, but the os makes up for it. yes the OS is a bit plain, but guess what, it works, if you think the galaxy is better and is "king of the smartphones" prove it, the fact is its not.this argument is very much stupid in terms of hardware. it really comes down to, android or iOS. most people like iOS BECAUSE everything is in one place and easy to get to and they dont end up having 3 app stores to search through to find the latest version of angry birds. and also, android is a bit flimsy in the apps that are available on it, i know there are more good quality apps coming out but its really hard to do since the screen size on EVERY ******* phone is different, with apps on the iphone, its 3 screen sizes only, and 2 of those screen sizes just include putting a @2x on the end of the image and thats why we have jailbreaks, because we like to spice things up a bit, themes tweaks etc, sure those features are on android but you find an amazing theme that you can live with you cant.and no, im not a fan boy... i have a android tablet. and its not the best experience in the world, but neither is iOS, thats why there have been 5 versions of ios

  15. #15
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    1,131
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 87 Times in 71 Posts

    Apple started this, it will end with Apple.Apple's patents is so generically stupid yet they can get an injunction upheld, Samsung's patents is specific which Apple admittedly used without permission injunction request should be upheld not just in Europe but world wide.If I wanted a new phone it would not be a 4S.

  16. #16
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Hillefied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    166
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    I think that the Android OS is still in it's infancy compared to the nearly 5 years worth of iOS development. Android is well on it's way, but that's not to say that Android has hit the mark with a phone like the Galaxy S2. After the Apple Event quasi-live-blog here at ModMy, I posted about my disappointment with expectations I had regarding the next iPhone. I fully anticipated a larger screen and new form factor, but I was still impressed with the internal hardware advancements and the incredible array of software features (some, of which, were designed for i4S). The iPhone and Apple experience, the emotional and tactile response to owning and operating an iDevice, is very powerful. Samsung and other competitive mobile telecommunication manufacturers aren't quite up to par on consumer enjoyment. Having said that, I can honestly tell you that I would be a multi-platform device consumer. I will get the iPhone 4S to upgrade my iPhone 3G, but I would also own the Galaxy Tab because of positive previous experiences with non-telecommunication Samsung products.

    Everyone is entitled to opinions on this thread. I hope we can just relate to these opinions and stop getting so belligerent.

  17. #17
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default I switched to GS2, but am switching back.
    Quote Originally Posted by SsputniikK View Post
    i´m switching to S II, im sick of the dam IOS.
    Have you used an Android device for long? I have taken advantage of AT&T's return policy and bought 4 phones over the past 12 months:
    1) WP7 - didn't take long to realize the voice recognition and lack of OS features left it in the dust. I hope that the mango update has fixed most of these
    2) Moto Atrix - must have had some issues in the initial OS that has been updated, but the laggy screen response and poor GPS had me return it.
    3) Borrowed an Inspire - like the HTC Sense on it, but ended up having to give it back after about a month - the memory issues with using external storage were an issue. Miss the way Sense linked all the contact accounts so neatly between FB, Tw, email, etc...
    4) Switched to Verizon for the Thunderbolt. Had to recharge about every 7-8 hours even with a task killer and JuiceDefender Ultimate installed. It was an early model and mine froze up several times. Took it back and switched back to AT&T and my iPhone 4. Made me really think about what I want my phone to do. Call, text, tweet, take pictures of my kids, and look up directions on the internet
    5) Just bought a galaxy S2 on AT&T on 10/2. The responsiveness and screen are really nice. Android Gingerbread and the hardware work really good together. Its a nice phone. BUT - I am so used to have an iPhone - the extra steps for texting, moving back and forth between screens, having to hit the menu key all the time, and not having notifications on the lock screen (I had iOS5 beta) are the reason I am returning it today. I am gonna miss the screen the most - stunning.
    If I was already an Android user, then none of these would be issues - the SGII is the best Android on the market, IMHO, and will make many users happy. But its not much faster or more intuitive to use than my iPhone 4. So, the 4S is most likely to best it in performance and user interface capabilities. (Played with a Bionic in the store - the camera angle of view is the SAME as the iPhone VIDEO field of view - too narrow for pictures and was another deal breaker)
    One thing that many people miss in comparison is the user experience. I have been a MobileMe subscriber for a couple of years - that whole wireless cloud sync - having appointments and contacts transfer to all my connected devices (PC at work, Mac at home, iPad in my work bag, daughter's iPod) is really a bonus - which will all be included with iCloud.

    So, I while agree that the SGII is better than the iPhone 4 and on par with the 4S as far as specs go it comes down to what we have become accustomed to. If I were to totally switch to Android, a year from now I wouldn't know what I was (or wasn't) missing. But I think the Android OS is missing many of the little Ease Of Use features that make iOS so powerful and user friendly - especially with v5 coming soon. But, Android has its own features that iOS lack - and much of that is customizations to the UI and how individual apps behave with notifications and sounds.

    For me, I'll stick with my 4. Everyone has a different opinion and which is why there is market competition - choices for the masses.

  18. #18
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,438
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 185 Times in 145 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Aumz View Post
    If it was just about hardware and specs....who would actually have an iPhone. There is no point in having a 400hp engine under the hood if you have no steering wheel.
    When has Apple ever had the most powerful hardware? Apple shines best in their software.

    I think the App Store concept is the biggest factor in prevent people switch between iOS and Android. If you've paid for many apps it's tough to switch and possibly have to buy the same apps again. Well that's how I see it anywho

  19. #19
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Hillefied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    166
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    When has Apple ever had the most powerful hardware? Apple shines best in their software.

    I think the App Store concept is the biggest factor in prevent people switch between iOS and Android. If you've paid for many apps it's tough to switch and possibly have to buy the same apps again. Well that's how I see it anywho
    I actually completely agree with you. As an iPhone owner, I have invested for just over 2 years in the App Store Apps, music, books, etc. It is difficult to move on from that investment. But that's not what is stopping me. I want to continue with Apple because of my experiences using and owning the iPhone. I'm not quite ready to make a memory of it all, just yet.

  20. #20
    iPhone? More like MyPhone sammo123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    152
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 36 Times in 9 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Go Gators View Post
    The author of this article thinks people purchase phones because of software and user experience rather than hardware, which he believes is much better on the iPhone. My question to him is, have you even tried and used the new Galaxy S 2? I don't believe you have because I haven't met one person that would prefer the iPhone over the Galaxy S 2 after using both side by side. There is no comparison! The GS2 is hands down a much better device, both in user experience, OS and hardware. I know it is hard for Apple fans to admit that their beloved device has been kicked off the mountain top, but it has. Sorry! The truth is the truth!

    You must not be able to read since the person who posted before you clearly stated that he has tried both and the S 2 wasn't as good as the iPhone. I will also state i have tried both and i would not switch to the S 2. The hardware doesn't matter if the OS can manage its self efficiently which Android devices can not.
    RIP Steve Jobs.. You changed the world

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts