+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report: 4G LTE 'iPhone 5' In The Vault Until Next Year

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
We had to wait sixteen months between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S. Next time around, however, we may only have to wait six to twelve months before the
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Report: 4G LTE 'iPhone 5' In The Vault Until Next Year

We had to wait sixteen months between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S. Next time around, however, we may only have to wait six to twelve months before the iPhone 5 is introduced. The iPhone many of us were expecting to see yesterday - a significantly redesigned 4G-capable iPhone - may drop in the spring of 2012, says analyst Will Strauss, president of Forward Concepts.

"They're saving iPhone 5 for the LTE version and that won't be out until next spring," Strauss tells CNET. Given Strauss' close work with chip providers and even closer connections with companies that produce components for Apple's iPhone, his comments are stirring the pot. Although Strauss didn't cite specific sources, the general point of his claim - that the iPhone 5 will be dramatically different form the iPhone 4S - doesn't come as much of a shocker.

"There's no way they could come out with LTE now," Strauss admitted, tangibly implying that it's pretty obvious many Apple fans were hoping for something bigger and better out of Apple's media event on Tuesday. In the long term, however, Strauss contends that Apple was smart for waiting to deploy any such futuristic mobile technologies.

Current implementations of LTE in phones like the HTC Thunderbolt are too kludgy for Apple's tastes...The Thunderbolt, for example, has an LTE baseband (modem) chip and a second 3G chip from Qualcomm for the voice functions.
    As if a "kludgy" design wasn't enough to keep Apple at bay for now, there's another reason why waiting is better. "There are a lot of places today that LTE still doesn't reach," Strauss says, a reality that all but certainly will change dramatically during the next six to twelve months.

Source: CNET

iPhone? More like MyPhone ccoltmanm's Avatar
    Thanks

6 to 12 months is the difference between me waiting the 6 months to upgrade my 4, or 12 months upgrading now.

Thanks

I'm in Montana, so I am just ecstatic with GSM 3G. I won't be seeing LTE for a LONG time yet.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

you guys need to let it go and live life. if the 4S is not for you(or me) then thats cool but let the iphone 5 BS go.. i mean you really want to gossip for 15 more months ??

Thanks

Dude ITS OVER!!! Why keep dragging out these stupid rumors? What's done is done! Just wait til next year man jeez.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Venom1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Sigh...here we go all over again.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

iPhone 4s JUST released, and already rumors for the next iphone are coming. Jesus man. Atleast give a few months.

Thanks

LOL @ "may drop"

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Ok, listen up MMi and in particular Michael Essany.

Apple will not, I repeat, WILL NOT release another new iPhone any sooner than 10 months time. (giving them the option to return to the July/Aug slot). You reported on all the wrong and frankly stupid notion of Apple releasing a second iPad in the fall of this year, please don't do it again.

None of us give a rats *** who the source is, or who reports the story. Unless the information comes from Steve Jobs, Tim Cook, or the team of VPs at Apple, then please do not waste your own time and ours by posting an article about it. We don't care if even the CEO of AT&T says something, they are usually extremely wrong. If the "source" as the title "analyst" before their name, then this is how you write the article: Hold the power button on your computer until the screen goes black. Easy!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ccoltmanm View Post
    6 to 12 months is the difference between me waiting the 6 months to upgrade my 4, or 12 months upgrading now.
    I am in a similar boat. My question for everyone is, given that SIRI is being hacked fo preious phones as we speak, will my 3Gs get me through until the iPhone 5, or will I regret the upgrade. Furthermore, when I got a 3gs, and the 4 came out, I was no impressed and waited. Hopefully that will not be the same for the 5, with a much better 5s coming the following year. That all said, I have to upgrade eventually, iPhone 7 maybe? But anyone's thoughts on the 3gs situation would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey listen if you don't like the info or articles why are you here? People like you are annoying. I don't understand if you think it's a waste why even bother reading it or commenting? This site reports rumors, industry talk and competitor happenings .... You obviously need to understand a rumor may or may not come true soooooo if you want on the ball or what is out information I suggest you get off of blogs and troll apples website every 10 - 16 months for concrete information.

Wow dude take you unrealistic demanding troll ***** off this site!

Every blog is full of people like you grow up and realize that not everything you read is going to come true!

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Ok, listen up MMi and in particular Michael Essany.

Apple will not, I repeat, WILL NOT release another new iPhone any sooner than 10 months time. (giving them the option to return to the July/Aug slot). You reported on all the wrong and frankly stupid notion of Apple releasing a second iPad in the fall of this year, please don't do it again.

None of us give a rats *** who the source is, or who reports the story. Unless the information comes from Steve Jobs, Tim Cook, or the team of VPs at Apple, then please do not waste your own time and ours by posting an article about it. We don't care if even the CEO of AT&T says something, they are usually extremely wrong. If the "source" as the title "analyst" before their name, then this is how you write the article: Hold the power button on your computer until the screen goes black. Easy!
    Last edited by lighter; 10-05-2011 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks

The iPhone 4s already has LTE, don't you remember? they said "The iPhone 4s has what are competitors are calling 4G"

Thanks

What competitors are calling 4G is the HSPA+ network. LTE is LTE and is suppose to be the true 4G but carrier mislead people.

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    The iPhone 4s already has LTE, don't you remember? they said "The iPhone 4s has what are competitors are calling 4G"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lighter View Post
    What competitors are calling 4G is the HSPA+ network. LTE is LTE and is suppose to be the true 4G but carrier mislead people.
    LTE is not 4G it is a 3.5G candidate, LTE-A is a 4G candidate. ITU says for a standard to be 4G it has to deliver 1Gbps.

Thanks

And so the nonsense starts over.

FFS, stop all the pointless articles Will ya?

Thanks

Ok so then HSPA is 2.5? And HSPA+ is 3? And the current LTE is 3.5 ?

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    LTE is not 4G it is a 3.5G candidate, LTE-A is a 4G candidate. ITU says for a standard to be 4G it has to deliver 1Gbps.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mysterion's Avatar
    Thanks
    lol

Hey listen if you don't like the info or articles why are you here? People like you are annoying. I don't understand if you think it's a waste why even bother reading it or commenting? This site reports rumors, industry talk and competitor happenings .... You obviously need to understand a rumor may or may not come true soooooo if you want on the ball or what is out information I suggest you get off of blogs and troll apples website every 10 - 16 months for concrete information.

Wow dude take you unrealistic demanding troll ***** off this site!

Every blog is full of people like you grow up and realize that not everything you read is going to come true!
    Most people read these articles for the truth.
    iPhone 4 Verizon

Untethered jailbroken w/ Sn0wbreeze

iPhone? More like MyPhone buttamix's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aenima133 View Post
    iPhone 4s JUST released, and already rumors for the next iphone are coming. Jesus man. Atleast give a few months.
    Not even!!! The 4s isn't out yet!!! I'm not to worried my upgrade isn't till next year

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

I mean seriously.........

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It depends which organization you want to get your information from.

According the the 3GPP and IEEE HSPA is 3G, HSPA+ is 3.5G and LTE and WiMAX (IEEE 802.16e) are 3.75G but still within the 3G Standard.

According to them LTE-Adv and WiMax-Adv (IEEE 802.16m) are in the 4G Standard.

Worrying about data speeds you won't even be able to use is pointless to be honest.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

spazturtle (10-05-2011)