Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AndroidLock XT Coming Soon to iOS 5

Default AndroidLock XT Coming Soon to iOS 5

Now that the iOS 5 gold master is out in the wild, as well as the iPhone 4S coming October 14th (preorders begin October 7th), the question becomes what the jailbreak community is doing behind the scenes. As many of you would assume, the scramble to make all tweaks and applications compatible with the next upcoming public firmware is definitely ensuing. Some are easy to accomplish, others are not. One in particular that is almost iOS 5 compatible is AndroidLock XT. AndroidLock XT allows you to use an Android-style lock instead of the standard passcode; a personal favorite of mine. The developer of AndroidLock XT Zmaster (@_Zmaster) was gracious enough to allow me to beta test his application as well as give an exclusive viewing of AndroidLock XT in action on iOS 5.

This is just one example of the many applications that are gearing up for iOS 5 compatibility. ModMyi will be on the front lines ensuring that our reader base is up-to-speed on what is becoming iOS 5 compatible for our jailbreak users.

Primarily, AndroidLock XT will strictly be updated to support iOS 5 and no new features will be added (at this point). For those of you users that have AndroidLock XT already, everything that is part of the current version will be available on iOS 5. Enabling and adding/changing your pattern is still a staple feature and works well on iOS 5 on this current build. Other components that are still apart of AndroidLock XT on iOS 5 include:

• Select Theme
    • Change Behaviour
    • Logging

Note: This current build has a SpringBoard icon for settings because the developer did not have the updated PreferenceLoader file in order to continue. When AndroidLock XT for iOS 5 officially releases, all the settings will be housed in the Settings.app under its own tab.

In response to what will be different in AndroidLock XT for iOS 5, Zmaster noted these minor changes:

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster;
    This version is just adapted to work on iOS 5, but there are some small differences.

For example, I discovered that the graphics were being drawn at not optimal resolutions on retina displays. Now in the next version, it will be full retina compatible.

In the pre-iOS 5 version of AndroidLock XT, it was possible to have Android lock always visible. But now in iOS 5, we have the new lock screen notifications that use lot of space. Keeping the lock always visible makes no sense because it would cover those notification and prevend the user to slide the finger over them So, in iOS 5, AndroidLock XT will always be minimized and there will no longer be an option to show all the time. You'll be able to activate it with either a tap-to-unlock or slide-to-unlock. For those users on 4.x and below, the option will still be available.
    Thus far, AndroidLock XT works beautifully on iOS 5 and should be fully up and running when the time comes. There's no current ETA for the release of AndroidLock XT on iOS 5, however I suspect that it could be very soon. If you have purchased AndroidLock XT already, then your license will be transferred over to the new version. For those who haven't yet, I'd highly recommend purchasing it when iOS 5 releases or buy it now for $1.49 if you're on 4.x and below still (since it will transfer over anyway - never too early!).

Here are a few other follow-up questions that gives a little more detail to what Zmaster has been doing with AndroidLock XT and his other projects:

JOSH: What has been the most difficult part to change to make AndroidLock XT iOS 5 compatible?
    ZMASTER I'd say it has been interacting with the notifications on the lock screen. Actually, the most difficult thing is working without docs and proper tools in general. That's what makes a task that looks simple take hours to implement.

JOSH: Are you planning on changing or adding anything new to AndroidLock XT as a result of iOS 5?
    ZMASTER At the moment there are no new features in iOS 5 that suggest me to make other changes.

JOSH: Other than AndroidLock XT, are you working on making any of your other applications iOS 5 compatible? Or are they already compatible?
    ZMASTER I only have one other extension on Cydia, which is GroupSend. I already updated it to make it compatible with iOS 5.

JOSH: Do you have any other projects you are working on? All firmwares or iOS 5 specific?
    ZMASTER Not at the present. At this point, I'm a bit worried for the future of jailbroken devices. It seems that it's becoming more and more difficult to jailbreak them and I think that first attempts were simple and more stable. When you then consider the difficulties and the time it takes to develop things that hooks into iOS (not standalone apps), it gets discouraging.

Follow Zmaster (@_Zmaster) on Twitter to keep up to date on what is to come.

Source(s): Zmaster
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 10-05-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Thanks

I'm on a iOS 5 the last beta before the GM and it's jb but has preference loader been updated yet? Cuz I tried a week and still didn't work

Quote Originally Posted by indyracer05 View Post
    I'm on a iOS 5 the last beta before the GM and it's jb but has preference loader been updated yet? Cuz I tried a week and still didn't work
    PreferenceLoader for iOS 5 has not been publicly released, however there are a few of us who have the updated version. It will be public when iOS 5 releases.

I like that tweak simply because it's more secure than slide to unlock, but it detrimentally simpler and more fun to use than ticking in various number codes. I guess I'm pretty excited.

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Tucker View Post
    PreferenceLoader for iOS 5 has not been publicly released, however there are a few of us who have the updated version. It will be public when iOS 5 releases.
    care to share the wealth

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

This tweak has been available via Cydia for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    This tweak has been available via Cydia for quite some time.
    It has indeed - and is one of my favorites that I eluded to. I made note of the fact that it is being updated to for iOS 5 compatibility, not that it is new.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh I am sorry I must not have read it completely. great tweak and when i get iOS5 i will def get this again!

lol. i just put this on my 3Gs today when my daughter kept grabbing my phone. nice to see it'll be available when i get that 4S

Thanks

This is exactly why i got it. lil brat figured out the slide to unlock before she could walk. i hated the pass code and got this and have had it since its inception. shes 3 now and gets so mad that she cant get into my phone to watch the friday song on youtube. she trys to eyeball me when i unlock it to see the pattern. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by ewokcwalk View Post
    lol. i just put this on my 3Gs today when my daughter kept grabbing my phone. nice to see it'll be available when i get that 4S

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Is the quick camera feature not available when androidlock xt enabled? So far double tapping home button brings up the ipod/music control but no camera icon on the slider.