+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple to Release Micro-USB Adapter for iPhone in the UK

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Apple to Release Micro-USB Adapter for iPhone in the UK

Last year the European Union decided that all new cellular telephones should be able to recharge using a standard micro-USB adapter. By agreeing to use a universal charger, the EU hopes to cut down on e-waste and eliminate the need for cell phone manufactures to include a new charging unit with every phone that is sold.

Instead of redesigning the latest iPhone, however, Apple has instead chosen to create a micro-USB dongle to comply with the new law. This lets Apple avoid any nasty fines while at the same time allows them to maintain compatibility with a wide array of third-party accessories already available throughout the world.

Appleís micro-USB adapter will cost £8.00 (about $12) when it ships October 14th. No word yet if itís coming to the US any time soon. Itís also not yet clear if this device will do anything other than charge an iPhone. Hopefully, it will let you sync your iDevice at the very least.

According to the Apple Store in the UK, ďThe Apple iPhone Micro USB Adapter allows you to use third-party micro USB cables and chargers to sync or charge your iPhone. Simply connect your iPhone to the Micro USB Adapter, then connect a micro USB cable or charger to the Micro USB Adapter.Ē

Apple has a long history of using propriety connections with their devices. Who can forget the square HDI-30 SCSI adapters that Apple used on first-generation PowerBook models. Thankfully, SCSI is now a thing of the past. Hopefully, this new adapter will help Apple cut down on e-waste as well.

Source: Apple

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ;
    Itís also not yet clear if this device will do anything other than charge an iPhone.
    "sync or charge your iPhone" I think that tells you that it lets you sync you iPhone.

Also it probably won't come out in the USA, the cables Apple sell cost a lot more so why would Apple give people an alternative? The only reason they are doing it in the EU is because they have to by law.

I might buy this and have it connected to my divice the whole time.

I wonder what would happen if we connected a pen drive via a usb to micro usb adapter?
    Last edited by spazturtle; 10-04-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 437 Posts

I thinj dongle is a funny word, but id pay for one of these things in America

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Probably not coming to the US but I plan on getting a couple anyhow.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    I wonder what would happen if we connected a pen drive via a usb to micro usb adapter?
    The same thing that happens when you connect one to the USB camera kit... which is nothing, except if you jailbreak. USB Keyboards on the other hand...

iPhone? More like MyPhone thekirbylover's Avatar
    Thanks

You'll probably be able to buy these outside of the UK by getting it from a UK Apple reseller that ships worldwide.
    I won't buy one unless we can use iTunes and the jailbreak apps with it. And even if it does, I'm still scared I'll lose it easily.
    Also, unless the next iPhone's going to be as thin as everyone is guessing, a Micro USB port should be fine next to the dock connector.

Edit: The 4S has the same design as the 4, so why Apple didn't add a built-in Micro USB port, I don't know.
    Last edited by thekirbylover; 10-05-2011 at 02:52 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jiniej's Avatar
    Thanks

Well NOW what? It WASNT THAT THIN...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

"sync or charge your iPhone" I think that tells you that it lets you sync you iPhone.

Also it probably won't come out in the USA, the cables Apple sell cost a lot more so why would Apple give people an alternative? The only reason they are doing it in the EU is because they have to by law.

it will increase your iphone capacity (act as external memory) .. lol kidding

Thanks

So hang on in the uk apple won't be giving you a new charger with each phone because of the eu law on waste but then charging you £8.00 for an adapter so you can charge it by some other phone adapter?

Thanks

Nothing will happen, trust me

I'm gonna have this adapter soon 

Thanks

I'll be buying a couple, my cat like to chew on iPhone cables for some reason... This $12 investment will save me $30 if they chew through one... They don't chew the black cables, just the white ones; they must be racist towards white cables.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    This looks pretty nice, I'll try and get one over here.

Thanks

Heh hehheh heh You said Dongle..he heheheh

Yeah Dongle yeah yeah

Sorry had a beevus & butthead moment..

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Apple just made a mockery of that EU ruling there, you still cannot charge an iphone using a micro usb cable which is supposed to be the law, you have to buy an adaptor to make it work. Ridiculous.