+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4S Camera to Compete with Point and Shoot Cameras

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default iPhone 4S Camera to Compete with Point and Shoot Cameras

It’s no surprise that Apple upgraded the iPhone’s camera today. The camera has been steadily improving with each successive generation of iPhone model. Rumors have been circulating for quite some time that Apple would upgrade the iPhone’s camera to 8 megapixels. The fact that this rumor turned out to be true is not surprising, but what is surprising is magnitude of improvements that Apple has been able to make to this year’s iPhone model.

The iPhone 4S now features an 8 Megapixel camera capable of generating 3264x2448 resolution images. You’ll be able to snap pictures more quickly now as well, with only a .5 second delay between shots. The camera has been designed to let more light in, which should produce better quality images in low light settings. You can now take pictures with the lens wide open at f/2.4. This should produce images that are 30% sharper than the previous iPhone model's camera.

The lens includes 5 elements and should produce images that have better color accuracy and more color uniformity. The image sensor now has a hybrid IR filter and a backside illuminated sensor. This should produce better results in low-light environments. Hopefully, the days of grainy indoor pictures will be a thing of the past with this camera. Concertgoers should be able to bring home better quality photos from the mosh pit now as well.

The iPhone 4’s camera already produces wonderful pictures, especially considering that it uses a tiny imaging sensor. Apple hopes to compete with dedicated point-shoot-cameras with this latest iPhone model. Point-and-shoot camera sales have been on the decline in recent years, with more and more people opting to take pictures with their phones instead of dedicated cameras.

Recently, photo-sharing site Flickr released a graph showing the top 5 most popular cameras used to upload pictures to the site. The iPhone 4 beat out four popular DSLR models from Nikon and Canon.

It would seem that Apple is gaining popularity among photographers as well as everyone else. Photographers that make a living taking pictures will never abandon the DSLR. But for the rest of us, an iPhone is all the camera we need most of the time. Soon, you’ll be able to upload images directly to Twitter when iOS 5 is released October 12. I can’t wait to check out the new camera on the iPhone 4S.

Source: Apple

Thanks

I do need an upgrade since I still have 3gs but this is verrrrry ***

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The improvements to the camera are actually the most interesting feature for me, cos I know deep down Siri is not gonna be able to understand an Irish accent (or half the words we use anyway). We can barely understand ourselves sometimes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    the improvements to the camera are actually the most interesting feature for me, cos i know deep down siri is not gonna be able to understand an irish accent (or half the words we use anyway). We can barely understand ourselves sometimes. Xd
    lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

The improvements to the camera are actually the most interesting feature for me, cos I know deep down Siri is not gonna be able to understand an Irish accent (or half the words we use anyway). We can barely understand ourselves sometimes.
    Yeah. No matter what you ask it, it'll give you directions to the nearest pub.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnnytucats For This Useful Post:

feidhlim1986 (10-04-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnytucats View Post
    Yeah. No matter what you ask it, it'll give you directions to the nearest pub.
    Like we need directions to a pub...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Advertising camera specs to people who don't know photography.

Thanks

Are you actually Irish? Or an American who thinks he is Irish? Lol
    If I helped please head on over and smash the Thanks button.

My Personal Cydia source: apt.finalbillybong.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itaintrite View Post
    Advertising camera specs to people who don't know photography.
    people who don't know photography look at the megapixels. 8 megapixels > 5 megapixels. More megapixels doesn't always mean better quality but it's what sells and makes it easy to compare different cameras to the average person.

On another note, the back-facing camera has been improved, but what about the crappy front-facing one?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I am already very happy with my iPhone 4 picture taking. Not surehow much this camera might impress me though I only take maybe a doEn pictures a month on average

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FinalBillybong View Post
    Are you actually Irish? Or an American who thinks he is Irish? Lol
    Actually Irish. Born and raised and still here.

Fhearr leat as gaeilge?