+ Reply
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Breakdown of iPhone 4S: A Disappointing Analysis?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple’s “ Let’s Talk iPhone ” media event is now over and many are left disappointed. The iPhone 4S was announced along with several iOS device refreshes and many were
    Thanks

Default Breakdown of iPhone 4S: A Disappointing Analysis?

Apple’s “Let’s Talk iPhone” media event is now over and many are left disappointed. The iPhone 4S was announced along with several iOS device refreshes and many were left unsatisfied. Apple revealed the price points for the new iPhone 4S (with contract) which consist of:

• $199 – 16 GB
    • $299 – 32 GB
    • $399 – 64 GB

The device will consist of both black and white models and will be available for pre-orders starting October 7th. As mentioned previously the iPhone 4S will have the following specs:

• Dual Core A5 Processor.
    • Dual Core Graphics.
    • 8 Hour 3G Talk Time Battery.
    • 2x Faster Download Speed.
    • CDMA + GSM Radios.
    • 16, 32, 64GB Models.
    • 8 Megapixel Camera 3264x2448 Resolution, 5 Lens.
    • Backside Illuminated CMOS.
    • 1080p Video Recording.
    • Video Image Stabilization.
    • Temporal Noise Reduction.
    • Siri Voice.

Although the hardware will be an improvement over the iPhone 4, the iPhone 4S doesn’t seem to offer anything groundbreaking or exciting as anticipated. The specifications inform us some of what we expected including a faster CPU/GPU, longer lasting battery life, faster download speeds, dual-mode (CDMA + GSM), larger capacity (upto 64GB now), a better camera with camera features, and exclusively the Siri Assistant.

Everyone already knew the new iPhone would have the A5 chip and the improved GPU performance was also expected. Apple spent quite a bit of time showcasing the improved graphics but honestly it seemed much like what the iPad 2 has been able to do since March but just on a smaller screen. The improved battery life is a slight upgrade, which is probably the least of what many people were looking forward to.

The improved camera did seem to appeal to many with the fact that it now offers a quicker load time to the first shot (1.1 seconds), a quicker response shot to shot (0.5 seconds), and a higher quality image. The iPhone 4S will also support 1080P video recording as well,which is also going to appeal to many but all in all, a camera update was one that many expected. It isn’t a good enough reason to justify the purchase of the device.

The Siri Personal Assistant is just about the only thing along with the expected hardware improvements that is exclusive to the iPhone 4S that impressed the public. Siri’s co-founder Norman Winarsky just yesterday mentioned that Siri’s Assistant would be a “world-changing” event and many see it being a huge leap forward. I can definitely see Siri becoming popular amongst many but I don’t know how many would agree that it is “world-changing."

The WOW factor of the new iPhone was relatively low as much of this was expected from before. Many were anticipating some surprise throughout the keynote, but were left with nothing. As mentioned previously, the iPhone 4S essentially is a slightly upgraded (hardware-wise with the exception of Siri) iPhone 4. Even so though, there were many complaints that the iPhone 4S doesn’t have a larger screen (which was amongst the many rumors that were circulating before today’s announcement).

Many are left disappointed as well due to a lack of 4G surprises at today’s Apple media event. The new iPhone is confirmed to not be compatible with either LTE or WiMax 4G wireless networking standards. The new iPhone will work on 3G networks including AT&T’s HSPA+ network, which the carrier has been advertising as “4G.” It won’t be compatible with AT&T’s recently launched LTE network nor Verizon’s already growing LTE network. It also won’t be compatible with Sprint’s nationwide WiMax 4G network, even though Sprint has reportedly made a commitment to sell over 25 million iPhones over the next few years.

Although several Android-based smartphones have been released with support for the 4G networks, Apple has been quite reluctant to add to its popular iPhone. Despite rumors to the contrary, CEO Tim Cook repeatedly said that “LTE would force design compromises we’re not willing to make,” including increased size and decreased battery life.

Some have already decided to jump the bandwagon and purchase an Android phone until the release of a true next-generation iPhone while others are caving in and still planning to purchase an iPhone 4S. With everything revealed, what are your thoughts? Are you going to be purchasing an iPhone 4S? If not, what are your plans?

P.S: I hope you didn't have the following response (some people probably did):

Last edited by Akshay Masand; 10-04-2011 at 01:52 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone spider_romeo's Avatar
    Thanks

Where is the "CHEAP" iPhone ????

No,No,No,No..,No....I'm not going to buy iPhone 4S....wewwww
    Last edited by spider_romeo; 10-04-2011 at 02:09 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default #iphone4ass
    sorry to use that kind of language: but they release the #iphone4ass imho

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not sure if the "S" in the name of it it means sorry, or suck, or sad, or just skip which is what I'm gonna do.A great big steaming pile of FAIL in my opinion.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 722 Posts

Ill prolly stay with my iPhone 4 but I might wanna go see what the wp7 has in store

iPhone? More like MyPhone kingchkn's Avatar
    Thanks

The iPhone 4 8GB is only $99 and the 3Gs is free.

Thanks

I'm happy it's not amazing so I'm not tempted to overpay and get a new phone halfway into my contract

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

That pictue describes exactly how I feel. DAMN YOU APPLE!!! That being said I will still upgrade bc my 3GS is about to drive my insane, and my HTC Inspire has lost its fire. I love my ipad 2, so having the speed increase along with the additional features of Siri, iOS5, and icloud should make me happy for the time being. But not being able to upgrade when a truly new iphone comes out is going to leave me pissed once again. Lets just hope for a speedy jail break.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingchkn View Post
    The iPhone 4 8GB is only $99 and the 3Gs is free.
    True That!! The best thing to come out of the "event" if you can call it that? Was the price drop of the 4... If you haven't been able to afford or just didn't think it was worth the money, here is your chance to grab one at a great price!

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spider_romeo View Post
    Where is the "CHEAP" iPhone ????

No,No,No,No..,No....I'm not going to buy iPhone 4S....wewwww
    They are offering an 8GB iPhone 4.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Well according to some people here, they believe AT&T's marketing that HSPA+ is 4G, so I guess to them Apple has released a 4G iPhone.Will I buy one? I dunno yet. I got an original iPhone in the launch month, upgraded to 3GS at it's launch and it's getting slower. I doubt iOS 5 is gonna make my 3GS run snappy, I fully expect iOS to effectively brick it.The question I'm asking myself is, is 4S worth the extra € over a now cheaper iPhone 4? And will an attempt to transition to Android via Samsung Galaxy S II be worth it also?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    ehh I had a feeling this would happen.. Hopefully next year they have something amazing. going to use my upgrade for a android now.

pfp
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I was ready to order an iphone 5 to replace my aging 3gs, but a 4s - I just don't know.

iPhone? More like MyPhone spider_romeo's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    They are offering an 8GB iPhone 4.
    Yeah $549 for the unlocked one at apple.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

No way I'm wasting a upgrade. I'll stick with my iPhone 4. Nothing wrong with it. It is sad that Siri isn't going to be available for the iPhone 4, or iPad though. I guess Apple had to give the 4S something to make people think it's a major upgrade.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Ill prolly stay with my iPhone 4 but I might wanna go see what the wp7 has in store
    I also will be checking out windows phone 7, they are making huge changes back there, I expected something ground breaking from apple, so wp7 here i come

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    No way I'm wasting a upgrade. I'll stick with my iPhone 4. Nothing wrong with it. It is sad that Siri isn't going to be available for the iPhone 4, or iPad though. I guess Apple had to give the 4S something to make people think it's a major upgrade.
    Dont u worry my friend - i'm sure our jail breaker will find a way to get Siri in - yeah like the multitasking in iPhone 3 - it might not be as fast without A5 - but i really care less - my iP4 is fine and thing cooking over the fence (read as samsung) seem a bit better - at least form this side of the fence yeah !!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

This "new" phone is a joke, bye bye apple. Time to look at android.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Like I said earlier, You can't get double the speeds on an already slow/choked network. I get 1.5 to 2 mpbs on At&t 3g at BEST (not 7.2 like they state) and there will be no 14.4 for me anywhere. I can't even send a text message or make a phone call while at a sporting event for christ sake. I look over and see Verizon users with no problems at all!
    We live in a connected lifestyle anymore and if I can not post a picture of myself and my daughter at a football game for my wife to see (or a pic message for that matter) It does me no good at all.
    The thunderbolt looked like an option, but battery life was crappy. Now the droid bionic may be an option, but I'm not rushing out anywhere yet.
    All my necessary iphone apps are in andriod so it's an easy jump for me. I'll take 2 years on another network untill they get it right!

Is there anyone that actually get 7.2mbps anywhere?

Smitty

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey Apple looks like someone to a big bite out of your assWTF were thinking

+ Reply
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast