Scott Forstall asked the iPhone 4S running Siri "Who are you?"

"A humble personal assistant," Siri replied.

Right....for now.

Apple showed off their latest innovation in mobile technology and surprisingly it wasn't a brand spankin new device, rather it was an incredibly innovative voice command personal assistant application called Siri. On a day when only an iPhone 4S with faster insides and no cosmetic changes was the big hardware announcement, Apple came through in the clutch on the software side of iOS with the Siri personal assistant.

Siri, in the simplest of terms, is a personal assistant. Users can schedule meetings, look up information on the web, text, check the weather, and a ton of other tasks by simply speaking. Memorized commands aren't necessary. Everything done with Siri portratys the illusion of conversation very well, especially compared to other offerings.

Forstall asked Siri "Finde me a great Greek restaurant in Palo Alto," and Siri responded with the following:

This is definitely a step forward in voice-command based computerized personal assistants, especially ones that fit in the palm of your hand. Apple may have disappointed those looking for some newly designed hardware, but for those looking for an improved user experience, they potentially delivered in spades. For me, I'm looking forward to asking Siri, "What is the meaning of life?" My future depends on her answer....

Source: Apple [images via Engadget]