+ Reply
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4S - Tech Specs and Features

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by hoekapika its the sixphone (iphone, iphone2g, iphone3g, iphone3gs, iphone4, iphone4s) six phones so every number for i new iphone is a redesign thats what i wanted iphone
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,162 Times in 6,964 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoekapika View Post
    its the sixphone (iphone, iphone2g, iphone3g, iphone3gs, iphone4, iphone4s) six phones so every number for i new iphone is a redesign thats what i wanted iphone 5
    iPhone 2G and iPhone are the same thing. You are counting it twice.
    The list is: iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Hillefied's Avatar
    Thanks

its the sixphone (iphone, iphone2g, iphone3g, iphone3gs, iphone4, iphone4s) six phones so every number for i new iphone is a redesign thats what i wanted iphone 5
    You can't necessarily think that way. The iPhone 3G wasn't necessarily a total redesign from 2G. mainly it's form factor and various iOS changes made that the biggest differences. But you do have a point. With every number change in iDevice development is something that no one has every thought of.

Thanks
    any one know how much ram the 4s will pack

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 755 Posts

any one know how much ram the 4s will pack
    1GB, it's in the thread.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Hillefied's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    iPhone 2G and iPhone are the same thing. You are counting it twice.
    The list is: iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S.
    That may be incorrect. The 2G was more 1GS in terms of form factor. It looked identical to the first iPhone created. It was the second generation iPhone. That implies that there was a first generation iPhone.

For more info, you should research iPhone on Wikipedia. I haven't researched this yet so I may be wrong.

Update: I researched and I was mistaken. There were 2 variants of the original iPhone. The later variant increased the flash storage. My apologies.
    Last edited by Hillefied; 10-04-2011 at 05:36 PM.

Thanks

Default Everyone calm down!
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearpig View Post
    How the hell can apple sit on their butts for 16 months and only have a minor improvement. iPhone is barely keeping up with competition.
    mod edit: do not insult other members iPhones do exponentially better that any individual Android or WP7 phone, and the 4s is no different
    Last edited by Simon; 10-04-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Thanks

any clue yet whether there are unlocked iphone4s and if so where would they be released?

when the i4 was released it was unlocked in many places in europe and took them a while to release it in the states...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hillefied View Post
    That may be incorrect. The 2G was more 1GS in terms of form factor. It looked identical to the first iPhone created. It was the second generation iPhone. That implies that there was a first generation iPhone.

For more info, you should research iPhone on Wikipedia. I haven't researched this yet so I may be wrong.

Update: I researched and I was mistaken. There were 2 variants of the original iPhone. The later variant increased the flash storage. My apologies.
    Yup, they upped the memory at one point, even uploaded the bootloader (unlockers will remember that one) but all still the first iPhone which we call iPhone 2G because it used 2G data.

Quote Originally Posted by infinnocente View Post
    any clue yet whether there are unlocked iphone4s and if so where would they be released?

when the i4 was released it was unlocked in many places in europe and took them a while to release it in the states...
    Wondering this myself. I am assuming Apple will continue what they started with the iPhone 4 and sell them factory unlocked at a higher price in the US like they do in other countries. I hope this is the case, we will find out Friday for sure.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

infinnocente (10-04-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by infinnocente View Post

I don't know if anyone can answer this for sure, but I was wondering the same thing, because that is the way I intend to go. I was looking on the apple site, in the FAQ under the iPhone 4s page, and found this.

When I buy from the Apple Online Store, does my iPhone come ready to use?

Yes, if you have selected a mobile phone carrier. When your iPhone arrives, all you have to do is turn it on and follow the onscreen instructions to set it up. There’s no need to call the carrier or visit a store to complete the activation. If you have selected an unlocked GSM phone, you will need to acquire a micro-SIM from the supported GSM carrier of your choice and activate it in order to use your iPhone.

You can see the entire FAQ here: iPhone 4S - iPhone 4 - iPhone 3GS - Buy direct from Apple - Apple Store (U.S.)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lukinrats For This Useful Post:

infinnocente (10-04-2011), Simon (10-04-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lukinrats View Post
    I don't know if anyone can answer this for sure, but I was wondering the same thing, because that is the way I intend to go. I was looking on the apple site, in the FAQ under the iPhone 4s page, and found this.

When I buy from the Apple Online Store, does my iPhone come ready to use?

Yes, if you have selected a mobile phone carrier. When your iPhone arrives, all you have to do is turn it on and follow the onscreen instructions to set it up. There’s no need to call the carrier or visit a store to complete the activation. If you have selected an unlocked GSM phone, you will need to acquire a micro-SIM from the supported GSM carrier of your choice and activate it in order to use your iPhone.

You can see the entire FAQ here: iPhone 4S - iPhone 4 - iPhone 3GS - Buy direct from Apple - Apple Store (U.S.)
    I would assume that answers the question then. Thanks

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

infinnocente (10-04-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    gfg

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I would assume that answers the question then. Thanks
    Let's hope so, but I cant really tell. Even if you look at the link that I posted there, it has all the iphones listed. It could be taken a couple of ways

1. It could mean what we think, which is that you can now get any of the phones unlocked

2. It could be a catchall FAQ where they forgot to take that out

Who knows
    Last edited by lukinrats; 10-04-2011 at 05:55 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BradTrinh24 View Post
    Not very impressed, but it expected from Apple. Wonder when they will announce price drops of iPhone 4 since it showed it at staying the same price as a 16gb 4s?
    It's $99, but 8gb and 3gs $0

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tha1youshouldfear View Post
    LMAO!!! Still no 4G???? That's HORRIBLE!! It's just going to have "4G-Like" speeds?? LAME!!
    I think this is actually better. It's WIDELY available and everyone can keep their current plans. I've never had a "4G" device but it wouldn't surprise me if you had to pay extra for the 4G network.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillefied View Post

They did that with the 3G as well. It doesn't mean it's another generation of the phone. The white iPhone 4 didn't come out until this year. Still the same gen as the black one of last year. These are just small upgrades.
    Last edited by TheDirtyDiddler; 10-04-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Switch72nd View Post
    You both are kinda wrong, the ITU (International Telecommunication Union) says that they are now. Here is the quote:

Following a detailed evaluation against stringent technical and operational criteria, ITU has determined that "LTE-Advanced" and "WirelessMAN-Advanced" should be accorded the official designation of IMT-Advanced. As the most advanced technologies currently defined for global wireless mobile broadband communications, IMT-Advanced is considered as "4G", although it is recognized that this term, while undefined, may also be applied to the forerunners of these technologies, LTE and WiMax, and to other evolved 3G technologies providing a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed.

So no offense guys but do some research, they decided they were 4G almost a year ago.
    What ITU decided was basically that "4G" isn't actually a standard, and is meaningless.
    Like my 4G sig. :P
    Last edited by raduga; 10-04-2011 at 06:37 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Definitely NOT wasting my upgrade/money on this. I'll stick with my iPhone 4

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have the 3GS and this would work for me since I don't need 4G I would be happy with 14.4mbps just so I can stream my MLB.TV and NHL games thru HockeyStreams. Having AT&T unlimited grandfathered I never go above 5gig per month anyways. I just want a decent speed when I watch games during the day at work and when I am at sporting events.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TW10Si View Post
    Definitely NOT wasting my upgrade/money on this. I'll stick with my iPhone 4
    Considering this was by far the largest single upgrade an iPhone has ever gotten what is considered a waste and what would you have wanted otherwise?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So here's my theory. The iphone 5 is around the corner. I don't believe that Apple would spend 16 months between releases and not have all the things that are driving smartphones: 4G, bigger screen, sexy new form factor, etc.

I'm betting that iPhone 5 will be released Q1 and was delayed b/c there were some key hardware elements that weren't up to their standard yet. They needed to have a new offering for Christmas or def be left behind. This will be a perfect strategy. There is such pent up iPhone demand that apple will see great sales over the next 6 months from the average user that is willing to take the current offering. Most of us on this forum are pretty hard core tech hungry people, but there are only about 4.5% of cell users that are smartphone users currently. There is HUGE untapped target market for Apple right now. The iPhone 4S will satisfy the vast majority of buyers.

Once the remaining hardware elements get to where Apple wants them, the iPhone 5 will hit and entirely new wave of Buyers, revenue AND stock price jumps. Apple is one of the 5 most valuable companies in the world with a ton of cash. Any long term thinking business is looking at the 2+ year plan - not this quarter.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenFrogg For This Useful Post:

raduga (10-04-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Considering this was by far the largest single upgrade an iPhone has ever gotten what is considered a waste and what would you have wanted otherwise?
    "by far the largest single upgrade" is pretty hyperbolic, and kinda silly. By the numbers, its about par for other "guts" upgrades. The hardware got spec updates instead of outright replacement.

2G -> 3G
    iOS 2 (woop-de-doo!)

3G-> 3GS
    new CPU family, new type of camera, magnetometer

3GS-> 4G
    new GPU, front-facing camera, gyro, retina

4G-> 4GS
    new CPU family

Ignoring the spec bumps (which are, as you say quite substantial) this refresh doesn't offer any new hardware. Since they only changed things under the hood, most users won't see much changed. It'll feel a little faster. Some things that crashed and burned before, won't.

If Apple says its the "Best iPhone ever!!" I agree.
    But largest single upgrade? This aint it.
    Last edited by raduga; 10-04-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    "by far the largest single upgrade" is pretty hyperbolic, and kinda silly. By the numbers, its about par for other "guts" upgrades. The hardware got spec updates instead of outright replacement.

2G -> 3G
    iOS 2 (woop-de-doo!)

3G-> 3GS
    new CPU family, new type of camera, magnetometer

3GS-> 4G
    new GPU, front-facing camera, gyro, retina

4G-> 4GS
    new CPU family

Ignoring the spec bumps (which are, as you say quite substantial) this refresh doesn't offer any new hardware. Since they only changed things under the hood, most users won't see much changed. It'll feel a little faster. Some things that crashed and burned before, won't.

If Apple says its the "Best iPhone ever!!" I agree.
    But largest single upgrade? This aint it.
    It's actually quite based in fact. If you look at everything that was upgraded it has the largest incremental upgrade from the previous unit of any other previous generation iPhone. Everyone seems to have this extremely narrow minded view that since it doesn't LOOK any different that it's not a significant upgrade when that's anything but the case.

Double the processing power with an extra CPU core and faster clock speed. (3GS > 4 only gave you +400Mhz)
    7x The graphics processing power
    +512MB RAM (3GS > 4 only gave you +256MB)
    +3MP on the camera (3GS > 4 only gave you +2MP)
    +360 pixels on video recording 720 >1080 (3GS > 4 only gave you +240)

iPhone 2G > 3G was a complete and total JOKE. Same phone except for the crappy plastic case and the 3G baseband chip. IMO this was a downgrade b/c the processor couldn't handle rendering web pages at the increased speed and didn't have enough RAM.

iPhone 3G to 3GS was the second best upgrade with 128 to 256MB RAM, 2 to 3MP camera, 412 to 600Mhz processor (50% faster)... but still a relatively crappy screen and camera, not enough RAM and marginal CPU performance.

So to sum up... given the ACTUAL FACTS listed above the iPhone 4S is the best upgraded phone per component than the previous model to date. If they had increased the screen size all the apps would have to be re-written for a different resolution.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 10-04-2011 at 07:53 PM.