+ Reply
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4S - Tech Specs and Features

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by raduga "by far the largest single upgrade" is pretty hyperbolic, and kinda silly. By the numbers, its about par for other "guts" upgrades. The hardware got spec
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Hardware upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    "by far the largest single upgrade" is pretty hyperbolic, and kinda silly. By the numbers, its about par for other "guts" upgrades. The hardware got spec updates instead of outright replacement.

2G -> 3G
    iOS 2 (woop-de-doo!)

3G-> 3GS
    new CPU family, new type of camera, magnetometer

3GS-> 4G
    new GPU, front-facing camera, gyro, retina

4G-> 4GS
    new CPU family

Ignoring the spec bumps (which are, as you say quite substantial) this refresh doesn't offer any new hardware. Since they only changed things under the hood, most users won't see much changed. It'll feel a little faster. Some things that crashed and burned before, won't.

If Apple says its the "Best iPhone ever!!" I agree.
    But largest single upgrade? This aint it.

I'm a little confused as to what people are considering hardware. To me this is a huge hardware upgrade (and software for that matter). Sounds like there isn't really that much UNmodified hardware other than the display and the casing. Maybe people want a redesign so they can show off that they have the new model but personally I'm quite happy with my ip4 form factor and I'm pretty psyched about getting twice the RAM and a much more powerful CPU. I have to say I'm pretty curious about Siri too. I bought voice activator on Cydia and I like it but it's not so easy to set up...

I feel like people are looking for change for the sake of change... I've seen almost no concrete complaints about what was absent that should have been included (other than a larger screen, which I'm glad was absent). Just moaning about how it's a "minor" upgrade. In my book, the form factors great, just make it more powerful.

iCloud looks cool too for the syncing aspect. My number one complaint about iTunes is how it handles app syncing. Especially when you have multiple idevices and multiple comouters. Frankly I'd be pretty happy if I could never open iTunes again.

Let's just hope I can convince my wife to give me her upgrade and take my hand-me-down ip4!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to virtualcappy For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (10-04-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    It's actually quite based in fact. If you look at everything that was upgraded it has the largest incremental upgrade from the previous unit of any other previous generation iPhone. Everyone seems to have this extremely narrow minded view that since it doesn't LOOK any different that it's not a significant upgrade when that's anything but the case.

Double the processing power with an extra CPU core and faster clock speed. (3GS > 4 only gave you +400Mhz)
    7x The graphics processing power
    +512MB RAM (3GS > 4 only gave you +256MB)
    +3MP on the camera (3GS > 4 only gave you +2MP)
    +360 pixels on video recording 720 >1080 (3GS > 4 only gave you +240)

iPhone 2G > 3G was a complete and total JOKE. Same phone except for the crappy plastic case and the 3G baseband chip. IMO this was a downgrade b/c the processor couldn't handle rendering web pages at the increased speed and didn't have enough RAM.

iPhone 3G to 3GS was the second best upgrade with 128 to 256MB RAM, 2 to 3MP camera, 412 to 600Mhz processor (50% faster)... but still a relatively crappy screen and camera, not enough RAM and marginal CPU performance.

So to sum up... given the ACTUAL FACTS listed above the iPhone 4S is the best upgraded phone per component than the previous model to date. If they had increased the screen size all the apps would have to be re-written for a different resolution.
    The facts, as always, are subject to interpretation.

I see that while it now has a dual core CPU, the clock speed seems to be the same (unconfirmed)? As someone who's been running SMP in my main computer since I had a Pentium III, I appreciate that dual cores can help with some workloads and responsiveness. I also know that MHz still matters. The 7X graphics processing power will be great.. when we get something that uses it. (I'm actually genuinely excited about that once using airplay for output becomes more popular).

The RAM may have gone up by 512MB this time, but it's gone up by 100% every time. If you look at relative increase for the camera and video you see a reduced improvement. 3 to 5MP is +67% while 5 to 8MP is only +60%. Likewise 480p to 720p is about 300% increase in resolution while 720p to 1080p is only about 200% more.

Where's the 4" screen? Or the 3D camera / screen? Where's the pico projector? Where's the LTE?

I wasn't actually expecting any of those things, but I do think that's the sort of "new hardware" people where hoping for, given the kinds of new things the iP4 brought. I was actually struggling to imagine what exactly they'd come up with since the iP4 is still, 14 months later, pretty good. A new processor just cause they have one and better battery life were pretty much the only things I could be certain of. The update doesn't seem that disappointing to me, but I'm still in contract so it doesn't really matter.
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. -- M.C. Escher
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge. -- D.J. Boorstin

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What do you people think, is this iPhone going to be sold in stores as unlocked from october 14th forward?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,640 Posts

Wonder who would wants to upgrade from iphone 4 to 4s when the standby time has decreased from 300 hrs to 200 hrs..the battery is the same as iphone 4

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tha1youshouldfear View Post
    LMAO!!! Still no 4G???? That's HORRIBLE!! It's just going to have "4G-Like" speeds?? LAME!!
    No one has TRUE 4G. All these networks "claiming to have" 4G speeds are in reality saying, "this is just a supped up 3G." TRUE 4G is coming in 2012. So just wait 1 more year and then you'll get an iPhone 5 with 4G.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    That's why you root an android phone to put on a custom ROM go get rid of all the bloated software. I bet that a Galaxy S2 rooted with a custom ROM will blow the iPhone 4S away. Don't forget about the Nexus 3 (Prime), that will be pure stock with a dual core 1.5Ghz processor and that will for sure blow away the iPhone 4S. Not to mention the S2 is on 4G with Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T and it looks like the Nexus 3 may be on Verizon with an LTE version.
    Too bad TRUE 4G isnt even out yet.
    Last edited by GreenApp1e; 10-04-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

lol. So many people displeased with the results of Apple's event, and yet how many of you will flock to the retail stores like zombies to get this phone anyway? I'm betting a good majority of you will....maybe not on release day.....but you'll cave eventually when one of your friends or a co-worker shows it off to you.

And all it does is prove how Apple can lag behind the rest of the market and STILL be successful......because of die-hard loyalists who SETTLE FOR WHAT APPLE HAS GIVEN THEM.

Even the stockholders were un-impressed by this phone's debut. You think Apple cares? NOPE. Why? Because they know that the herd will river-dance all the way to the stores, holding hands and singing along the way......open up their wallets.....and fork over their cheddar.

The same people that piss and moan about Apple not giving them what they want are the same people that just deal with whatever Apple gives them at the time. And thats exactly what they want!

How much of a step-up do you think the iPhone 5 would be if nobody bought the 4S and it completely flopped in sales? Apple would make extra effort to ensure the 5 was truly a leap forward and not just some mild upgrade built to shut you up.

Just my thoughts on the whole deal.

Thanks

It's actually quite based in fact. If you look at everything that was upgraded it has the largest incremental upgrade from the previous unit of any other previous generation iPhone. Everyone seems to have this extremely narrow minded view that since it doesn't LOOK any different that it's not a significant upgrade when that's anything but the case.
    I agree that its a "significant" upgrade, but its not earth-shattering.

Double the processing power with an extra CPU core and faster clock speed. (3GS > 4 only gave you +400Mhz)
    3GS > 4 was 1.6x the clock speed.
    4G > 4GS has no change in clock speed, but dual-core should offer some improvement. (not double)

The proportional upgrade is comparable.

7x The graphics processing power
    3GS > 4 wasn't a huge GPU bump, but you may not remember what graphics was like on the 3G (awful).
    3G > 3GS was at least "7x" if not more; since the 3G SoC didn't really even have a dedicated GPU.

Numbers like "7x the speed" are kinda worthless without good benchmarks.
    We'll need more of those to validate properly.

3G > 3GS - 2x the RAM
    3GS > 4G - 2x the RAM
    4G > 4GS - 2x the RAM

Proportionally, it's no different than previous power-ups.
    But practically speaking, a lot LESS significant because the earlier models were really horribly starved for RAM.
    Doubling from 3G>3GS helped a lot.
    Doubling from 3GS>4G helped, but not as much.
    Doubling from 4G>4GS will only really help, when Apps demand and use the extra space. As a developer, personally, I can't wait! But it won't improve the user experience much for day-to-day use, because the OS doesn't need it as desperately.

3G > 3GS - replaced a fixed-focus 2mp cam with an auto-focus 3mp cam. Night and day. By FAR the biggest change in usability. (its not the pixels. Its really just a much better camera.)
    3GS > 4G - replaced an auto-focus 3mp with an autofocus 5mp (1.6x). AND added a front-side 1mp camera.
    4G > 4GS - replaced the 5mp with 8mp (1.6x).

Proportionally, the same. But they didn't add any brand-new cameras like they did the last time.

3GS > 4G > 4GS (480>720>1080) 1.5x bump every time.
    Proportionally, the same.

iPhone 2G > 3G was a complete and total JOKE. Same phone except for the crappy plastic case and the 3G baseband chip. IMO this was a downgrade b/c the processor couldn't handle rendering web pages at the increased speed and didn't have enough RAM.
    I guess we have to agree on something....

iPhone 3G to 3GS was the second best upgrade with 128 to 256MB RAM, 2 to 3MP camera, 412 to 600Mhz processor (50% faster)... but still a relatively crappy screen and camera, not enough RAM and marginal CPU performance.
    3G > 3GS gave you:
    modern CPU (armv6 vs armv7) clocked at 1.6x speed
    real GPU (instead of having the CPU do the work)
    enough RAM that the OS wasn't eating your lunch (instead of having the OS eat your lunch)
    vastly more functional camera (though still low-resolution)

So to sum up... given the ACTUAL FACTS listed above the iPhone 4S is the best upgraded phone per component than the previous model to date. If they had increased the screen size all the apps would have to be re-written for a different resolution.
    [/B]
    Let's not forget 3GS > 4G
    CPU: 1.6x clock up
    GPU: modest improvement
    Display: double resolution. 4x the pixels. That was kindof a big deal, no?
    Camera: incremental improvement + extra camera in front

There's no problem with the 4GS. I don't have a problem with the 4GS. I think its nice.

If the retina display is "good enough" no need to change it.
    If the auto-focus multiple-lens camera is "good enough" no need to change it. Just replace the CCD to bump the pixel count.
    If 2 cameras is good enough, no need to add another 3 or 4 cameras on every side.

But its still less of a jump to go from a slightly less powerful device with all these basic features to a more powerful one, than it is to go from a slightly less powerful device without those features to one that has them.
    Last edited by raduga; 10-04-2011 at 11:54 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

LMAO!!! Still no 4G???? That's HORRIBLE!! It's just going to have "4G-Like" speeds?? LAME!!
    --- until now, people do not know what real 4G is ... no carrier in the United States has real 4G technology ... LTE or Long Term Evolution is essentially like 3.5G which a faster iteration of 3G ... The Real 4G hasn't even been tested commercially here in the US ... Even Verizon is not fully 3G until they have moved all their customers to a situation where the user can make voice calls and use data (like internet traffic) at the same time which is an essential part of being 3G. The LTE capability which Verizon lamely calls 4GLTE is in the right direction towards 3G compliant ...

Thanks

Just because it doesn't have a new form factor doesn't mean it's not a significan't upgrade. Strictly talking specs the iPhone 4 to 4S was a MUCH bigger upgrade than the 3GS to 4 was! Just like the 3G to 3GS was a MUCH bigger upgrade than the 2G to 3G was. Y'all are hung up on the fact that it looks the same on the outside.

Looking at specs alone the 4S is a MUCH better phone than the 4.
    Well said.
    Quaerite et invenietis.

iPhone? More like MyPhone General Klinger's Avatar
    Thanks

Since the 4 and 4s are nearly identical and I can't find any info anywhere else, is it safe to assume the cases are the same? I would rather order my case now so it's here before my phone. I HATE carrying around an iPhone without a case.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,168 Times in 6,640 Posts

Pretty sure the cases will be the same.

iPhone? More like MyPhone General Klinger's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Pretty sure the cases will be the same.
    That's what I am thinking. Just gonna order the case on Amazon so it can be returned if I am wrong

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Because 4G is just hype, and there is nothing that meets the proposed 4G standards. The only thing that will scale to 4G has nothing to do with mobile phones, it's the WiMax wireless internet service type crap. Let me repeat... There is no such thing as 4G. The ITU can't make a spec, and then change its mind to suit the hype-pushing mobile phone corporations.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    I agree that its a "significant" upgrade, but its not earth-shattering.

3GS > 4 was 1.6x the clock speed.
    4G > 4GS has no change in clock speed, but dual-core should offer some improvement. (not double)

The proportional upgrade is comparable.

3GS > 4 wasn't a huge GPU bump, but you may not remember what graphics was like on the 3G (awful).
    3G > 3GS was at least "7x" if not more; since the 3G SoC didn't really even have a dedicated GPU.

Numbers like "7x the speed" are kinda worthless without good benchmarks.
    We'll need more of those to validate properly.

3G > 3GS - 2x the RAM
    3GS > 4G - 2x the RAM
    4G > 4GS - 2x the RAM

Proportionally, it's no different than previous power-ups.
    But practically speaking, a lot LESS significant because the earlier models were really horribly starved for RAM.
    Doubling from 3G>3GS helped a lot.
    Doubling from 3GS>4G helped, but not as much.
    Doubling from 4G>4GS will only really help, when Apps demand and use the extra space. As a developer, personally, I can't wait! But it won't improve the user experience much for day-to-day use, because the OS doesn't need it as desperately.

3G > 3GS - replaced a fixed-focus 2mp cam with an auto-focus 3mp cam. Night and day. By FAR the biggest change in usability. (its not the pixels. Its really just a much better camera.)
    3GS > 4G - replaced an auto-focus 3mp with an autofocus 5mp (1.6x). AND added a front-side 1mp camera.
    4G > 4GS - replaced the 5mp with 8mp (1.6x).

Proportionally, the same. But they didn't add any brand-new cameras like they did the last time.

3GS > 4G > 4GS (480>720>1080) 1.5x bump every time.
    Proportionally, the same.

I guess we have to agree on something....

3G > 3GS gave you:
    modern CPU (armv6 vs armv7) clocked at 1.6x speed
    real GPU (instead of having the CPU do the work)
    enough RAM that the OS wasn't eating your lunch (instead of having the OS eat your lunch)
    vastly more functional camera (though still low-resolution)

Let's not forget 3GS > 4G
    CPU: 1.6x clock up
    GPU: modest improvement
    Display: double resolution. 4x the pixels. That was kindof a big deal, no?
    Camera: incremental improvement + extra camera in front

There's no problem with the 4GS. I don't have a problem with the 4GS. I think its nice.

If the retina display is "good enough" no need to change it.
    If the auto-focus multiple-lens camera is "good enough" no need to change it. Just replace the CCD to bump the pixel count.
    If 2 cameras is good enough, no need to add another 3 or 4 cameras on every side.

But its still less of a jump to go from a slightly less powerful device with all these basic features to a more powerful one, than it is to go from a slightly less powerful device without those features to one that has them.
    Very detailed analysis and comparison. +1

One thing, the standby time of the 4s has been decreased to 200 hours compared to the 4's 300 hours. BUT, the 3G talktime increased from 7 to 8 hours. Explain please? (sorry if it's a stupid question)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default I'm going to get it, cannot wait any longer...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tario70 View Post
    Apple somewhat failed in my eyes today & yet I'm on the fence...

How sad is it that I see this new iPhone & I'm seriously considering hanging on to my iPhone 3Gs for one more year? I really do not like the design of the 4, now 4S. A glass back has to be the most idiotic design choice in the history of design choices for cell phones. I'd be curious as to what others think. Those with the 4 I'd assume will be happy to keep their phone with no rush to upgrade, but are there any other 3Gs users that are in the same boat as me? & what will you do?
    I've been hanging on to my old 3G for about the last 11 months waiting for Apple to release their next new iPhone... I didn't want to get the iPhone 4 back in December, because I thought that they'd give me a new choice in 6 more months... WRONG! I'm quite disappointed in Apple's lack luster upgrade this year. That being said, I will get the iPhone 4S...because I'm addicted to iPhone and my 3G just doesn't cut it. back to the "no 4G" comments... 4G speeds are supposed to be 100Mbps. Based on that, nobody has a true 4G phone or network available right now and Apple is just setting the record straight. The 4S is just as fast, if not faster than the other "4G" phones out there according to all the specs I can find from any of the other carriers/manufacturers.

When the iPhone 5 finally comes out, I will not get it... I'll wait for the "5S" or 6!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Very detailed analysis and comparison. +1

One thing, the standby time of the 4s has been decreased to 200 hours compared to the 4's 300 hours. BUT, the 3G talktime increased from 7 to 8 hours. Explain please? (sorry if it's a stupid question)
    quick guess:
    the new radio uses less power when active than the old one did?
    but baseline power drain is greater than before?
    (Could be a side-effect of the A5, though if true that iz teh suxors)

Or radios are much more efficient, but battery is a little smaller?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GreenApp1e View Post
    No one has TRUE 4G. All these networks "claiming to have" 4G speeds are in reality saying, "this is just a supped up 3G." TRUE 4G is coming in 2012. So just wait 1 more year and then you'll get an iPhone 5 with 4G.

Too bad TRUE 4G isnt even out yet.
    I could explain once again how your interpretation is wrong. Instead I'll ask you to please enlighten us as to what you think "TRUE 4G" is and how it is something magically different than LTE or WiMax.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    4G has not been released yet, no phone has 4G
    Um, not sure what you are talking about. Think Droid Bionic, HTC's Thunderbolt, Charge, etc...These all run on Verizon's LTE band which is 4G.

Who wants an iPhone 4s when you can get the iPhone 4JB? Yes, this is the iPhone 4JB.
    Last edited by klugey1; 10-05-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klugey1 View Post
    Um, not sure what you are talking about. Think Droid Bionic, HTC's Thunderbolt, Charge, etc...These all run on Verizon's LTE band which is 4G.
    LTE is not 4G, LTE is a working towards 4G specification, LTE-A is a 4G candidate. ITU say for a standard to be 4G it has to deliver 1Gbps speeds.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Using percentages (or "proportional" numbers) rather than absolute values to skew your analysis of upgrades is funny.

256 to 512 is a 100% upgrade
    512 to 1028 is also a 100% upgrade but if you take absolute/actual values this upgrade is much more significant. (+512 MB vs +256MB)

3MP camera to 5MP camera is a 66% increase.
    5Mp to 8MP is a 60% upgrade so percentage wise it looks like the second upgrade is less significant... but looking at absolute numbers +3MP is more than a +2MP upgrade.

480 to 720 is +50%
    720 to 1080 is also +50% so while percentages might make it look the same absolute numbers give you +360 pixels in this upgrade vs only +240 pixels in the last upgrade.

You seem to think adding an extra core but keeping the same clock speed is LESS than double the performance; however, historically when computers went from 3.4+Ghz on a Pentium 4 computer to a modest 1.8Ghz Core 2 Duo it shows a significant performance boost because of the advanced chip architecture. It's not pure clock speed that determines performance when adding cores. If you look at the benchmark tests of the iPad vs iPad 2 you will see the iPad 2 scores more than TRIPLE those of the iPad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]