+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Check To See If You Are Eligible For An iPhone Upgrade

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Everyone already knows that new iPhones are going to be announced on Tuesday October 4th during Apple’s “ Let’s Talk iPhone ” event. For those of you who are on
    Thanks

Default Check To See If You Are Eligible For An iPhone Upgrade

Everyone already knows that new iPhones are going to be announced on Tuesday October 4th during Apple’s “Let’s Talk iPhone” event. For those of you who are on AT&T and Verizon, you may be wondering if you are eligible for an upgrade with your carrier. It is widely known that if you don’t buy off contract, early upgrade fees can be extremely expensive for smartphones, especially for an iPhone.

Instead of wondering if you’ll be eligible for the upgrade or calling in and sitting through generally horrendous customer support, there is an easier alternative for both carriers. Check below:

If you are an AT&T customer, you can check your upgrade eligibility straight from your current iPhone. Dial *639# (from the Phone app) and call the number. AT&T will give you a message that states the following: “A message will be sent to your phone.” Shortly after, you should get an SMS message with the details on your upgrade eligibility and contract commitment.

As of right now, there isn’t any certainty on how AT&T determines early upgrade fees but it has been noted by many that the more you spend on your iPhone, the more likely you are to receive a favorable upgrade price. Regardless of what early upgrade fee you’ll have, expect a two-year contract to be tacked on as part of the deal.

On a side note, going to the retail store then negotiating and complaining can sometimes help you cut a deal on the early upgrade fees. In some cases, AT&T retail employees have been able to play around with the early upgrade date to offer an early iPhone purchase at a more reasonable price. This is all purely luck though (or based off connections) so don’t complain if you don’t succeed.

If you are a Verizon customer, you’ll have to check online for upgrade eligibility. Customers need to login to Verizon’s website and navigate to the “My Verizon” page. Each phone tied to your account will be displayed with its upgrade eligibility date here.

Remember, regardless of what happens, you can always pay the extra $200 for an early iPhone upgrade if you really want to. As for your old iPhone(s), you can keep them for backup, give them to your parents, siblings, children, or friends, or sell them! If you plan to sell your old iPhone(s), you can use a variety of different services such as NextWorth, but in reality you are probably better off selling the device(s) on CraigsList or something similar to it instead.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

I have been elegible through AT&T for a long time. Never bought the iPhone 4 so ready for the iPhone 5! I can't wait!

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

Dang at least it 200 off i have to pay full retail.

Ps guys complaining this time of year will not help you get a cheaper phone at att and please don't promote doing it.
    Also if you guys can remember the last two years att has made customers upgrade eligible as long as your upgrade date was with in the the same year so if your upgrade date is 12/31/11 and the phone comes out 10/16/11 you can still probably get it with out complaining. Double check you upgrade the week of release.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Sweet, says I am eligible. I have bought a new iPhone every year but it always says I'm eligible :-)

-Luke

Thanks

If you dial #UPG from a Verizon phone you get a message about your upgrade eligibility.

Thanks

Honestly checking your eligibility right now is sorta pointless. The last few times a new iPhone has come out, they've upgraded almost everyone's eligibility to encourage people to buy the new phones. The same will probably happen when this one comes out.

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't qualify for an upgrade until 11/04/2012. Oh well iPhone 6 will be my next phone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone salayyad's Avatar
    Thanks

I checked my account with 2 lines. Second line is eligible mine isn't. I have to pay extra $250. Asked a Rep why and he said because the second line costs more it makes it eligible sooner for the upgrade. I'll probably buy it anyways and recoup some of the money by selling my iPhone 4.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by salayyad View Post
    I checked my account with 2 lines. Second line is eligible mine isn't. I have to pay extra $250. Asked a Rep why and he said because the second line costs more it makes it eligible sooner for the upgrade. I'll probably buy it anyways and recoup some of the money by selling my iPhone 4.
    If its att that is the old way. The rules have changed fyi guys now it has nothing to do with cost of the line everyone will now be upgrade eligible at 20 months so if you spend 300 or 10 it won't matter
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post

I got the same message.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

I am eligible but my wife is not till February. The weird thing is we both got our iPhone4 a day before the official release, June 2010... why aren't we both eligible? We have had the same family plan contract since the days of Cingular.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 671 Posts

i logged in into ATT and there are showing me good for a update and i just got my iPhone 4 last yr and 3G yrs before that. No sure way or how, but im not going to complain or ask why????? LMAO

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I got the same message with the 18 bucks upgrade fee. But i want to know what does it really mean. Does it mean i get to get a new iPhone for only 18 bucks and a 2 year plan, or do i have to pay the standard cost of say 299 + 18 + 2year deal>? Thanks for the help

iPhone? More like MyPhone <(O)> Device's Avatar
    Thanks
    I qualify! Woo! can't wait!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PRKnight View Post
    I got the same message with the 18 bucks upgrade fee. But i want to know what does it really mean. Does it mean i get to get a new iPhone for only 18 bucks and a 2 year plan, or do i have to pay the standard cost of say 299 + 18 + 2year deal>? Thanks for the help
    Don't know who your cell service is with, but with AT&T it's $250 + 18 + 2yr contract price of phone for early upgrade.

So if the new iPhone is $199 with a 2yr contract then you pay a total of $467 + tax on the phone. A big rip off if you ask me!

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Upgrade Advantage Program: See rate-plan brochure and Wireless Customer Agreement for full terms applicable to selected rate plan. Customer eligibility may vary based on credit history, payment history, payment status, customer type, and other factors. Two-year service agreement required. Upgrade fee of $18 applies. Subscriber must live and have a mailing address within AT&T's owned network coverage area. For further details regarding AT&T's Return Policy and Early Termination Fees, including Cancellation of Service, please see our return policy. AT&T may change the terms and conditions of the AT&T Upgrade Advantage Program at any time without notice. All other charges apply. Some dealers impose additional fees. Coverage not available in all areas.

Wohooo I'm elegible

Source: AT&T
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Check To See If You Are Eligible For An iPhone Upgrade-img_3348.png  
    Last edited by javiert30; 10-02-2011 at 06:40 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

My upgrade date randomly changed back in feb. From june 23 to nov 10th on primary line. *Have battled back and forth with CS and even threatening to cancel they will not budge and can not give me a reason why it was changed. The best they would do is take 50 bucks off my next 3 bills. So looks like ill be upgrading in nov.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 699 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    I have been elegible through AT&T for a long time. Never bought the iPhone 4 so ready for the iPhone 5! I can't wait!
    +1 very anxious!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Striknine's Avatar
    Thanks

Even though some people are eligible for an upgrade, it will still cost at least $199.00 plus $18.00 upgrade fee for a new phone. Same offer for new customers.