+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Check To See If You Are Eligible For An iPhone Upgrade

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by RICO_ Don't know who your cell service is with, but with AT&T it's $250 + 18 + 2yr contract price of phone for early upgrade. So if
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Don't know who your cell service is with, but with AT&T it's $250 + 18 + 2yr contract price of phone for early upgrade.

So if the new iPhone is $199 with a 2yr contract then you pay a total of $467 + tax on the phone. A big rip off if you ask me!
    To each his own, but you are still paying way less than retail on the phone, even at that $467 pricetag. FWIW, pretty sure the person you were replying to said he has JUST the $18 upgrade fee message. This means it's contact price of phone (likely $199.99) plus the $18 = $217.99
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

I bought a 4 in february, but it says that I am eligible for an upgrade. Sweet.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I can upgrade my iphone 11/17/2011 i have bought the phone in june preordered it online. But i have a question me and my cousin both bought the iphone 4 in june how come his upgrade is in feb 2012 when mines is in nov if we both bought the phone in june?? he waited in line and received his phone a day after me

iPhone? More like MyPhone spider_romeo's Avatar
    Thanks

Not eligible

So I will get it from Hongkong, get the unlocked one

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    To each his own, but you are still paying way less than retail on the phone, even at that $467 pricetag. FWIW, pretty sure the person you were replying to said he has JUST the $18 upgrade fee message. This means it's contact price of phone (likely $199.99) plus the $18 = $217.99
    What do u mean $467? My message says $250.00+$18.00=$268.00 in order for me to get the new iPhone. My only issue is do I really want to go thru this for an A5 chip upgrade or is there going to really be a redesigned teardrop iPhone 5 that I can justify upgrading too? Got to wait until Tuesday lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    I bought a 4 in february, but it says that I am eligible for an upgrade. Sweet.
    How is this possible? ATT seems to be very inconsistent with the whole upgrading policy. I preordered my iphone4 when they first dropped and it is saying I'm not eligible till 2/2012. How the hell can you be eligible in less than a year? Doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whodatfan View Post
    How is this possible? ATT seems to be very inconsistent with the whole upgrading policy. I preordered my iphone4 when they first dropped and it is saying I'm not eligible till 2/2012. How the hell can you be eligible in less than a year? Doesn't make a damn bit of sense.
    Honestly, I have had my phone 4 exactly 10 months and I got the $268 phone upgrade text but my actual phone upgrade is June 2012. So 50 bucks just to get the new iPhone is good deal I think.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    I am eligible but my wife is not till February. The weird thing is we both got our iPhone4 a day before the official release, June 2010... why aren't we both eligible? We have had the same family plan contract since the days of Cingular.
    Hope this will clear some things up, I work for AT&T in a wireless store. AT&T now does not differentiate between primary and secondary lines EXCEPT when it comes to upgrades. The primary line on the acct becomes eligible every 12 months. That means new customer pricing +$18 upgrade fee and new 2yr contract. ($199.99 16GB and $299.99 32GB) plus tax of course.
    A note on sales tax: normally you are charged tax on the full retail value of the device NOT the sale price. You can avoid this if you upgrade at Walmart or Target, they choose to eat the tax and only charge make you pay tax based on the sale price. If you get the message that says upgrade pricing plus $250 plus $18 upgrade fee, then you would pay $199 or $299, 16 or 32GB, plus $250, this is called an exception upgrade. As long as it has been 6 months since your last upgrade you will be eligible for this. It has always been $200 extra for the exception upgrade not $250 but I got the same msg when checking so apparently it has changed, at least for us iphone customers.

So primary is 12 months.
    The rest are 20 months.
    Also most people don't know that changing your rate plan can affect eligibility for upgrades.

And please whoever it was who was recommending to go to a retail store and complain to try and get a deal. DONT! 1. It's not gonna make us want to help you get what you want by taking an ear-raping from you. 2. We can pull strings sometimes, BUT NEVER FOR IPHONES. AT&T has an agreement with Apple that prevents and price adjustments on Apple devices. I could give away ANY phone for free if I had to, BUT couldn't give you $5 off an iphone.

Hope it helps

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrNewbdude For This Useful Post:

Cowboy (10-03-2011), mmaboi21 (10-02-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    Honestly, I have had my phone 4 exactly 10 months and I got the $268 phone upgrade text but my actual phone upgrade is June 2012. So 50 bucks just to get the new iPhone is good deal I think.
    Ahhhhh, I think you misunderstand that text. What it says is you have to pay the upgrade phone price which is 199 for 16gb or 299 for 32gb PLUS an additional 250 dollars AND 18 dollar upgrade fee. So, to upgrade early, it will cost you 468 dollars for a 16gb iphone5 OR 568 dollars for the 32gb. If you are not eligible to upgrade, it is 268 dollars EXTRA on top of the upgrade prices of the phones 199 or 299.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Striknine View Post
    Even though some people are eligible for an upgrade, it will still cost at least $199.00 plus $18.00 upgrade fee for a new phone. Same offer for new customers.
    Yeah thats what i paid for a new contract when i got my i4...

Quote Originally Posted by MrNewbdude View Post
    Hope this will clear some things up, I work for AT&T in a wireless store. AT&T now does not differentiate between primary and secondary lines EXCEPT when it comes to upgrades. The primary line on the acct becomes eligible every 12 months. That means new customer pricing +$18 upgrade fee and new 2yr contract. ($199.99 16GB and $299.99 32GB) plus tax of course.
    A note on sales tax: normally you are charged tax on the full retail value of the device NOT the sale price. You can avoid this if you upgrade at Walmart or Target, they choose to eat the tax and only charge make you pay tax based on the sale price. If you get the message that says upgrade pricing plus $250 plus $18 upgrade fee, then you would pay $199 or $299, 16 or 32GB, plus $250, this is called an exception upgrade. As long as it has been 6 months since your last upgrade you will be eligible for this. It has always been $200 extra for the exception upgrade not $250 but I got the same msg when checking so apparently it has changed, at least for us iphone customers.

So primary is 12 months.
    The rest are 20 months.
    Also most people don't know that changing your rate plan can affect eligibility for upgrades.

And please whoever it was who was recommending to go to a retail store and complain to try and get a deal. DONT! 1. It's not gonna make us want to help you get what you want by taking an ear-raping from you. 2. We can pull strings sometimes, BUT NEVER FOR IPHONES. AT&T has an agreement with Apple that prevents and price adjustments on Apple devices. I could give away ANY phone for free if I had to, BUT couldn't give you $5 off an iphone.

Hope it helps
    Thanks for the clarification Helped a lot
    Last edited by mmaboi21; 10-02-2011 at 10:52 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,536 Times in 660 Posts

Is there a way to watch apples event live???

Green Apple
    Thanks

When I try to order the current iPhone 4 it won't let me it keep saying "Unable to complete request. Please try again in a few minutes." I know I have everything entered correctly and I have even tried putting a different phone number from the same account. Could AT&T be moving alot of peoples upgrade date and their servers are overloaded?

Thanks
    Thanked 14,784 Times in 6,877 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Happy363 View Post
    Is there a way to watch apples event live???
    There are sometimes sites that play a feed from there. Not always ease to find though and not the best quality. Occasionally Apple streams it but they havent done that the last few times.

Green Apple
    Thanks

They should have it on their podcast a couple days after the event.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whodatfan View Post
    Ahhhhh, I think you misunderstand that text. What it says is you have to pay the upgrade phone price which is 199 for 16gb or 299 for 32gb PLUS an additional 250 dollars AND 18 dollar upgrade fee. So, to upgrade early, it will cost you 468 dollars for a 16gb iphone5 OR 568 dollars for the 32gb. If you are not eligible to upgrade, it is 268 dollars EXTRA on top of the upgrade prices of the phones 199 or 299.
    Ouch, so I understand all the moans and groans checking if your eligible for iPhone upgrade. So, I need at least 400 for selling my iPhone 4 to get iPhone 5 early lol but it would make better sense to pay 600 for unlocked version?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    Ouch, so I understand all the moans and groans checking if your eligible for iPhone upgrade. So, I need at least 400 for selling my iPhone 4 to get iPhone 5 early lol but it would make better sense to pay 600 for unlocked version?
    Here is AT&T's unlock policy http://www.att.com/esupport/article....id=ifGKTk7wczT
    The next iPhone won't EVER be exclusive because atleast Verizon will be getting it from day one. Here is the settlement from a class-action lawsuit about AT&T unlock policy: http://www.mobileburn.com/chtml/mobi...e=news&Id=9533

I will consider buying the next iphone if AT&T is forced to unlock it. Also the next iPhone needs to be jailbreakable like my current iPhone 4 is. AT&T needs to let me keep my unlimited data. If one of the requirements are not met I will go to an Android phone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    I am eligible but my wife is not till February. The weird thing is we both got our iPhone4 a day before the official release, June 2010... why aren't we both eligible? We have had the same family plan contract since the days of Cingular.
    I've had this problem in the past. If you are on AT&T then the primary account holder is eligible for the 1 year upgrade on the iPhone, not all accounts. Therefor, the main number gets the upgrade benefits and the others have to wait the two years.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

YES!!! I'm eligible. Been gettin iPhones every year since the 3G. Android that!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I checked and I'm eligible. I got my 4 on a second line in march but I put it on my primary....my primary is eligible I'm on at&t so I'll see what happens in the next few days

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12