+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upcoming: Add Basic Photo Editing Tools in Photos.app with PhotoEdit

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Although it seems to be more of a joke these days, the saying "There's an app for that" has proved to truly be a reality. Whether you search the App
    Thanks

Default Upcoming: Add Basic Photo Editing Tools in Photos.app with PhotoEdit

Although it seems to be more of a joke these days, the saying "There's an app for that" has proved to truly be a reality. Whether you search the App Store or Cydia, you will find a tweak or application that does just about anything. These days, companies such as Apple have even played on this notion by pushing the comprehensive library that it has.

But where a struggle can occur is when looking for an application that is simple and inexpensive, especially with an expansion library to choose from. When it comes down to photo editing applications specifically, you can be in a bind if you're just looking for a simple, easy-to-use, application. In other words, why spend $5+ for an application that you'll only use for two or more of its features? Not to mention, if it runs within its own application, it can be tedious and out of your way - why not just rotate the image (as an example) on your computer since it's easier to do? Filippo Bigarella (@FilippoBiga) is releasing a tweak soon called PhotoEdit that gives you the ability to do simple photo editing functions.

PhotoEdit will run natively within your Photos.app and will be a simple step from any picture in your Camera Roll or folder. When viewing a picture, simply click the "Go To" button and hit "Edit." From there, you have a few options:
    • Rotate Clockwise or Counterclockwise
    • Change to Grayscale or Sepia

When you've chosen what you want, just hit "Save" on the top right hand corner. Upon going back into the main folder or Camera Roll, you'll see that the original photo as well as the new edited photo is there. Nifty.

Although PhotoEdit offers simple tools at this point, I'm positive that Filippo will be expanding on it in the future. But at this point, what PhotoEdit offers is simplicity. If you're looking for simple tools like rotation and adding tones to your photos, PhotoEdit is a viable option. You don't have to be an expert to use this.

One might ask, why choose this over other products? Here's my reasonings:
    • It's simple
    • Runs native within your Photos.app
    • It will be free
    • Has room for expansion

Keep your eye on Cydia as it should be available soon. It will be compatible on all devices running firmwares iOS 4.2+ (does not work on the iOS 5 beta).

Name: PhotoEdit
    Author: FilippoBiga
    Price: Free

Follow Filippo Bigarella (@FilippoBiga) on Twitter to keep up to date on PhotoEdit and other projects he has in store.

Source(s): Filippo Bigarella
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 10-01-2011 at 09:04 AM.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Or...you could get the photoshop app which is also free, and does exactly this and more. However, I do see the point of having it built in that's a nice feature. But I feel like the developer then should put more effects and options available...also iOS 5 will be bringing basic photo editing options too.

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    Or...you could get the photoshop app which is also free, and does exactly this and more. However, I do see the point of having it built in that's a nice feature. But I feel like the developer then should put more effects and options available...also iOS 5 will be bringing basic photo editing options too.
    I can agree with you there - Filippo aimed at this being for 4.x primarily, but he may differentiate and add features that native iOS 5 does not. That's what I recommended to him.

Thanks
    iOS 5 includes this features natively

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pwnp27 View Post
    iOS 5 includes this features natively
    I'm fully aware. However, this primarily for 4.x and should have more features upcoming that make it more useful than the native 5.x functionality.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default What there isn't an app for
    The only thing I want to be able to do from the native photo.app is crop a picture. Many times I need to send a screenshot of a map to someone I'm giving directions to and the extra top and bottom part of the screenshot just takes up space.

On another note, one thing there isn't an app for is a true inventory app where you can scan a barcode and have all the data populate automatically, take a picture, and store all that info as one item. I would love an app like that to seamlessly inventory all my personal items.

Another thing there isn't an app for is phone call recording. How many times have you wished you had that phone call with customer service recorded ON YOUR END. Seems like any business you call says "your call may be recorded" but we never get to record the call. We need an app for that!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ta84 View Post
    The only thing I want to be able to do from the native photo.app is crop a picture. Many times I need to send a screenshot of a map to someone I'm giving directions to and the extra top and bottom part of the screenshot just takes up space.

On another note, one thing there isn't an app for is a true inventory app where you can scan a barcode and have all the data populate automatically, take a picture, and store all that info as one item. I would love an app like that to seamlessly inventory all my personal items.

Another thing there isn't an app for is phone call recording. How many times have you wished you had that phone call with customer service recorded ON YOUR END. Seems like any business you call says "your call may be recorded" but we never get to record the call. We need an app for that!
    Put your phone on speaker and use the voice record memo. That would definitely work.