+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Issues Warning to Data Speed Demons

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
How can Apple sue for something that looks like their product and yet AT$T can get away with using the word unlimited and not get sued for not meaning it.
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

How can Apple sue for something that looks like their product and yet AT$T can get away with using the word unlimited and not get sued for not meaning it. And don't give me unlimited doesn't mean they can't throttle it back. If that's what they mean then put it in their next commercial. Join AT$T where we say one thing and mean something totally different. They don't offer unlimited anymore so they should reward people like me who have not jumped ship. Especially since I drop more call then I ever did on Verizon. I bet that the abusers averaged in with the people who use less then their plan average out to be less then if everyone used exactly what they payed for. I'm sure when 4G is out they will say stay on 3G or switch to a limited 4G plan anyway for the remaining unlimited users. So I guess what I am trying to say is AT$T shut the #@%* up already.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    For a fee of I think $80 dollars there is a guy named Manny, that i believe must work for at&t, hooking people up with unlimited data plans as many lines as you want. Or you may try the iPhone 2g hack mentioned in the same article. If it works with a iPhone 4 sim it should work with an iPad sim.

How to Get Back on AT&T
    I've been doing the same for $40 a line with discounts for multiple lines for a while now ;-)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I believe the throttling the speed of your data is a 'limit.' Hence the false name 'unlimited' data. That's everyone's beef.
    But it is "unlimited data" not "unlimited everything related to" data, so unlimited only applies to data. they limit the speed the data gets to you but not what you download or amount of data, so technically they are still right to say unlimited data. I personally do not care because when I need to download fast I would not use 3G, hell I barely use 3G only when I am out and need to use GPS.
    Last edited by unison999; 09-30-2011 at 05:50 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I know there are hidden flukes, I still think it's wrong to label it unlimited without getting the full deal.

Companies.. will be companies.
    TMob does the same thing. 5GB full speeds than u get trhottled down to 60k haha sad but they wont let abuse the network.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1shuttle1 View Post
    How can Apple sue for something that looks like their product and yet AT$T can get away with using the word unlimited and not get sued for not meaning it. And don't give me unlimited doesn't mean they can't throttle it back. If that's what they mean then put it in their next commercial. Join AT$T where we say one thing and mean something totally different. They don't offer unlimited anymore so they should reward people like me who have not jumped ship. Especially since I drop more call then I ever did on Verizon. I bet that the abusers averaged in with the people who use less then their plan average out to be less then if everyone used exactly what they payed for. I'm sure when 4G is out they will say stay on 3G or switch to a limited 4G plan anyway for the remaining unlimited users. So I guess what I am trying to say is AT$T shut the #@%* up already.
    Why does EVERYONE here gets confused with "unlimited data"? Did they not allow you to get certain data you wanted (legal stuff ofcourse)? Did they suddenly say you do not get to download data from modmyi.com? They are still allowing you download stuff just throttle back to edge so is it their fault that you do not have the patience to wait using the edge speed?

BTW just save you money consulting with a lawyer trying to file lawsuit against AT&T for "unlimited data". Also I suspect people who download so much using their phone, I think they do not have wifi at home and work, maybe go as far to speculate this is their only way to get internet?
    Last edited by unison999; 09-30-2011 at 05:58 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

What about us on the iPad unlimited data plan? I know I use over 2GB a month. I know I wouldn't pay for it if I only got 2GB that's for sure.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    What about us on the iPad unlimited data plan? I know I use over 2GB a month. I know I wouldn't pay for it if I only got 2GB that's for sure.
    Your data is not limited, the speed you get your data drops down to edge speed after 2GB. Download all you want, but after you pass 2GB the speed you download your data will drop down significantly.
    Last edited by unison999; 09-30-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Thanks

It's not really being a "speed" demon more than it is a data hog. It's the amount of data that's used that comes into question... not the actual speed of the phone. Putting a data cap on an unlimited plan really is dumb. I think they should offer a 5GB plan for $25 anyways. I use around 5gb every cycle and I simply just watch YouTube vids on break at work. I don't sit there and leech files. So their opinion of what is considered "hogging" is very ambiguous considering that 5 gb ain't that much and that they are more worried about speed rather than amount of data.. yet its the amount of data that gets you punished.

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Your data is not limited, the speed you get your data drops down to edge speed after 2GB. Download all you want, but after you pass 2GB the speed you download your data will drop down significantly.
    That's not true or at least I've never seen any data speeds dropped. I've used it a lot for netflix and slingbox and went over 2GB and still had 3G speeds.

Thanks

Unlimited. Adjective/ˌənˈlimitid/
    1. Not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent.

Not limited in terms of number, quantity, or extent. Seems to me that AT&T has their own selective definition of "unlimited". At it's core the word means without limits, so imposing ANY sort of limit upon something labeled as unlimited is misleading at best.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have used 29 GB with 22 days left in my billing cycle. I still haven't got a warning message.
    Last edited by Kory569; 09-30-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Browning151 View Post
    Unlimited. Adjective/ˌənˈlimitid/
    1. Not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent.

Not limited in terms of number, quantity, or extent. Seems to me that AT&T has their own selective definition of "unlimited". At it's core the word means without limits, so imposing ANY sort of limit upon something labeled as unlimited is misleading at best.
    unlimited data specify what is unlimited the data, they tell you in the words they used itself!
    Did they limit where you can go with your data? no.
    Did they limit what you can download with your data? no
    They specified what is unlimited, they did not mention unlimited speed. Why don't you complain that you bought unlimited data why am I paying for my voice, why am I paying for my lunch? Because by your definition unlimited should not be restricted to data/cellular/food/life etc
    Last edited by unison999; 09-30-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kory569 View Post
    I have used 29 GB with 22 days left in my billing cycle.
    You get your gb's at $1 a piece. AT&T values it's gb's at $10 a piece. See the problem?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    That's not true or at least I've never seen any data speeds dropped. I've used it a lot for netflix and slingbox and went over 2GB and still had 3G speeds.
    They do not enforce this all the time. My guess is if you live out in middle of nowhere and not much people use the towers they may not limit you at all. But if you live near city center where everyone is on their phone using data, they will enforce this throttle back on speed. It is just a guess.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsolman View Post
    You get your gb's at $1 a piece. AT&T values it's gb's at $10 a piece. See the problem?
    A couple of months ago I used 56 GB. I used to be stuck with dial-up until a couple months. But we are moving to a different city close by and are going to choose a cable company NOT AT&T. So we don't want to waste $100 plus installation time/cost for a couple months of service.

iPhone? More like MyPhone spooneditr's Avatar
    Thanks

I watch Netflix from my phone since I can't get it at home because of the country life. They better not do it to me!

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I've been doing the same for $40 a line with discounts for multiple lines for a while now ;-)
    I need to start charging more. I charge $30 for Unlimited Data / and 25% Discount...

Thanks

Default stupid at&t
    Quote Originally Posted by Kory569 View Post
    A couple of months ago I used 56 GB. I used to be stuck with dial-up until a couple months. But we are moving to a different city close by and are going to choose a cable company NOT AT&T. So we don't want to waste $100 plus installation time/cost for a couple months of service.
    My iphone is my only internet connection as I can not get dsl or cable internet where I live. I wish I could move. Still, I only use a little above 5 gb.

I was tethering at one time until Att cracked down on that bizz nizz.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Soon as AT&T send me this BS I'm gone! As for the rest you, y'all are straight cowards. You do nothing!

You give them-AT&T an inch-Tiered Data... and they'll take a mile-Throttled Data!

2GB is pathetic in an exponentially increasing technological driven world! That's like like saying you can only fill up your gas tank once a month.

Vote with your wallet!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    unlimited data specify what is unlimited the data, they tell you in the words they used itself!
    Did they limit where you can go with your data? no.
    Did they limit what you can download with your data? no
    They specified what is unlimited, they did not mention unlimited speed. Why don't you complain that you bought unlimited data why am I paying for my voice, why am I paying for my lunch? Because by your definition unlimited should not be restricted to data/cellular/food/life etc
    You're missing the point: Unlimited means without restriction, whether it pertain to data, voice or text. Advertising something as unlimited and then adding ANY limit is misleading at best. Doesn't matter if it refers to speed of data or amount of data, number of calls or length of calls, number of texts or length of texts; adding any sort of limit to something labeled as unlimited is fundamentally misleading. I'm not disputing what AT&T does or doesn't have somewhere in the contract, I'm simply saying that it's a deceptive business practice to advertise something with limits as unlimited.