Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone to Get Gyro Stabilization for Video Recording?

Default iPhone to Get Gyro Stabilization for Video Recording?

Anyone who has an iPhone 4 and does any kind of video recording knows that even the slightest jolt will cause the frames in the video capture to go nuts. The iPod Touch 4G has a much more stable video capture in terms of movement. That's not to say that the iPhone doesn't have a great camera; 5 megapixels and auto-focus is wonderful but there is a lot to be desired when you are up and walking around and shooting video at the same time. Let's face it, it's extremely jittery.

Apple has noticed its users' desperate cries for more stable video recording. A patent was found titled, "Accelerometer/Gyro-Facilitated Video Stabilization" in which Apple outlined how it would use the accelerometer and gyroscope to help position the camera focus in a more desired way. The idea behind using the gyroscope is to counter movements and hold the camera steady even when being moved around as you would, say, if you were walking.

This technology likely won't benefit iPhone 4 users - but it could be implemented into future iPhone models.

The technology is not hardware-based, it is purely software-based. We've seen this before in iPhone cameras because it exists in how we zoom in (digitally, not optically). Software-based camera improvements have some nasty drawbacks including pixelization for one. The iPhone is a mobile device running on a limited battery pack; by implementing this feature in a software environment, it will cause the processor to work harder and drain battery much more quickly than if hardware was doing the work since gyroscopes move on their own without aided assistance. Another thing to think about is that software uses algorithms that are set and have little wiggle room for interpretation. Estimates might not be absolutely accurate and heavy calibration would be necessary. Without calibration, video wouldn't really be improved with this new feature.

The iPhone would have to determine when using this feature is necessary. This would mean that the device would decide if you were stable, walking, running, or even thrashing around like you had a million bugs crawling on you. This leaves another large margin for error.

On a positive side of things, it could only be an improvement for the iPhone's terrible jitter while recording video.

Would this benefit you? Tell us how!

Source(s): AppleInsider
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 09-29-2011 at 02:51 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope they actually come out with a software update for the iPhone 4 with this feature because it really needs it.

Thanks
    This seems more of a software update than it is a hardware update. It seems logicl that it could benefit iPhone 4 users as well.

What a horribly written article. You should have just copy and pasted the article from AppleInsider.

Quote Originally Posted by EMTZ13 View Post
    This seems more of a software update than it is a hardware update. It seems logicl that it could benefit iPhone 4 users as well.
    It very well could and would benefit. Apple just doesn't plan to update the iPhone 4's software to support it - probably to magnify sales on newer devices.

Quote Originally Posted by PM5K View Post
    What a horribly written article. You should have just copy and pasted the article from AppleInsider.
    Agreed, this site has gone to ****.
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

First post in 3 1/2 months... nice to see you back with such a positive attitude. He sourced his article and re-wrote it in his own words with a lot more elaboration than Apple Insider IMO. Great job Anthony

That says something about the quality of his "article". It was so bad that I actually bothered to log in and post about it. He just added a bunch of made up rubbish.

the slightest jolt will cause the frames in the video capture to go nuts
    Says who? It's not perfect but that's a huge exaggeration.

The iPod Touch 4G has a much more stable video capture in terms of movement.
    Again, says who? He seems to just make it up as he goes along.

5 megapixels and auto-focus
    What does that even have to do with VIDEO RECORDING? It takes 5MP STILLS.

desperate cries for more stable video recording
    Again, more over the top made up exaggerations.

The fourth paragraph is such a mess I won't quote it, but he essentially takes the original information, and adds a ton of rubbish to it.

This leaves another large margin for error.
    It won't use it if it isn't necessary or beneficial.

The article didn't need elaboration, especially because he wasn't capable of adding anything to it any way.

Thanks

That says something about the quality of his "article". It was so bad that I actually bothered to log in and post about it. He just added a bunch of made up rubbish.

Says who? It's not perfect but that's a huge exaggeration.

Again, says who? He seems to just make it up as he goes along.

What does that even have to do with VIDEO RECORDING? It takes 5MP STILLS.

Again, more over the top made up exaggerations.

The fourth paragraph is such a mess I won't quote it, but he essentially takes the original information, and adds a ton of rubbish to it.

It won't use it if it isn't necessary or beneficial.

The article didn't need elaboration, especially because he wasn't capable of adding anything to it any way.
    Just your horrible assertions alone tell me that you're here to troll and for nothing else. It's a camera, I think the specs of the camera matter. Also what he said are not complete lies. I've heard them said on places like iDownloadBlog and CNET.

You don't just make an article a data dump.. then it has no meaning. I think he did a good job adding his own thoughts to the facts.

iPhone? More like MyPhone nautical79's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not in love with the iPhone camera but its not that bad i have taken a 4 hr video on a off road trip and let me say that i was impress, the only complain a have is the bad performance on low light conditions, any how if i wanted a camera phone i'll buy Sony Ericsson and miss all the features of iOS.

It's one thing to add something, it's another to add made up rubbish. Take the original for example:

Apple's interest in allowing users to record better video on their iPhone was revealed this week in a newly published patent application discovered by AppleInsider.
    That is based on facts. Apple obviously has an interest in allowing users to record better video.

even the slightest jolt will cause the frames in the video capture to go nuts.
    Apple has noticed its users' desperate cries for more stable video recording
    That's just made up, over the top, rubbish. I can't see how you think that's any better, when in reality it's considerably worse.

I just think it's poorly written. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Thanks

It's one thing to add something, it's another to add made up rubbish. Take the original for example:

That is based on facts. Apple obviously has an interest in allowing users to record better video.

That's just made up, over the top, rubbish. I can't see how you think that's any better, when in reality it's considerably worse.

I just think it's poorly written. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
    Actually, just because you feel different about something doesn't mean it's made up. Stop being slanderous you're showing your inability to come off as a mature 'agree to disagree' figurehead.

The AppleInsider article is also written by an editor. NO PART of that whole article is absolute fact, it's just a collection of some facts mixed with writer opinion. Anthony used smaller words so we would all understand it better. I also have experienced frame drops in the iPhone 4 so I have a hard time believing that it's, "made up, over the top, rubbish." Go change your diaper.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ChSchuldiner For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (09-29-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by ChSchuldiner View Post
    Just your horrible assertions alone tell me that you're here to troll and for nothing else. It's a camera, I think the specs of the camera matter. Also what he said are not complete lies. I've heard them said on places like iDownloadBlog and CNET.

You don't just make an article a data dump.. then it has no meaning. I think he did a good job adding his own thoughts to the facts.
    I'll grant that PM5K sounds to be a bit of a troll,
    but much of his critique was spot-on.

e.g. Yes, the "specs of the camera" are relevant here, but the quoted spec '5MP' is less relevant, since it's a marketing fob more than a description of the hardware or how it works.

The iP4 camera seems to show greater distortion when in motion (over the iPT4) because it's a better camera. In suboptimal imaging conditions, some of the enhanced features of the iPhone get degraded. Autofocus doesn't work as well, auto-exposure adjustments may fail, and more pixels means more room for error.

Adding a better motion-compensation routine would probably improve sub-optimal video in some cases, but would show no improvement, or make things even worse for some others. Probably a net positive, for most users. If enabling/disabling isn't an option in "Settings" app, I guarantee you'll find a Cydia tweak that will.

When capturing video, your iPhone CPU is probably already at 40%-50% max power. Additional processing could bump that up to 60%-70% which might translate to 5% greater battery drain at most. Given how conservative the iPhone integrated design is, I'd be shocked if it hit 3% over the existing video capture function.

As for writing quality of the original post/article, I'd rate it "C+" or "B-", take your pick.

I think the still cam specs are irrelevant for an article about VIDEO recording. This isn't about still image stabilization, it's about video stabilization so the relevant spec would be 720P.

I'm not trying to troll, just calling it like I see it.

I think the still cam specs are irrelevant for an article about VIDEO recording. This isn't about still image stabilization, it's about video stabilization so the relevant spec would be 720P.

I'm not trying to troll, just calling it like I see it.
    In defense of the article,
    I think he only mentioned the mega-pixel specs to support his contention that it was a "good camera" overall. This contention is irrelevant to the issues the article raised, but its not totally unreasonable to offer.

In opposition,
    the author may have been trolling, too. Poorly supported contentions, sloppy use of prejudicial expressions and a somewhat lackadaisical approach to accuracy: could mean that he was sloppy or inartful, but if it was written with the intent to get a rise out of troll-biters and provoke interesting discussion on MMi, quite successful.

Edit:
    I upgrade my rating to C++
    Last edited by raduga; 09-29-2011 at 07:25 PM.

If that were the case I'd give him an E for Effort, but I'm afraid that's probably not the case.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I have an idea... take a topic that relates to Apple and do a write up in the member written news section and lets see what y'all consider to be A+ journalism.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

raduga (09-29-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 15,559 Times in 7,112 Posts

Aah the news section of MMi. Gotta love it lol. Welcome again Anthony

I for one don't notice frame drops but admittedly dont use the video camera that much. I would certainly welcome anything that makes it record better though.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (09-30-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Aah the news section of MMi. Gotta love it lol. Welcome again Anthony

I for one don't notice frame drops but admittedly dont use the video camera that much. I would certainly welcome anything that makes it record better though.
    You're not desperately crying for more stable video recording like the rest of us?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast