+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: China Unicom Executive Leaks iPhone 5 HSPA+ '4G' Support

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
During a presentation at this week’s Macworld Asia a China Unicom executive reportedly confirmed the iPhone 5 will support HSPA+ “4G” technology. Japanese Blog Macotakara made the report with another
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default China Unicom Executive Leaks iPhone 5 HSPA+ '4G' Support

During a presentation at this week’s Macworld Asia a China Unicom executive reportedly confirmed the iPhone 5 will support HSPA+ “4G” technology.

Japanese Blog Macotakara made the report with another Japanese site, PC Watch, snapping the above photograph.

Japanese IT news site "PC Watch" tells that, Research vice president of China Unicom, Huan Wenliang, told iPhone 5 will support W-CDMA based high-speed data transfer standard HSPA Evolution "HSPA+" (21Mbps) at keynote speech in Macworld Asia 2011. — Macotakara
    Rumors surrounding Apple supporting the faster LTE 4G technology—if Wenliang is right—appear to be false. Apple has held off in supporting 4G technologies citing the current 4G chips needed still don’t meet Apple’s size and power consumption criteria. However, if the iPhone 5 does support HSPA+ it is a small victory for those hoping for a faster 4G experience, even if the technology is probably more accurately described as “3.5G.”

It’s interesting that China Unicom’s Wenliang would divulge this kind of information about the iPhone 5 and still not have a picture of what the device looks like in his presentation. Obviously they don’t want to make Apple angry, but why address such specific network and phone details if there hasn’t been an official announcement? I can’t imagine why Unicom would make unfounded, non-supported claims at Macworld Asia, which is why this bit of information appears legit.

At least we know one thing about the iPhone 5.

Source: Macotakara [via MacRumors]
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 09-29-2011 at 09:00 AM.

Thanks

HHMMM iphone 5 or samsung galaxy s2

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Similar boat, ip5 or galaxy 2. I have been loyal with apple since the original iPhone, first time in my life over kept a phone OS for this long, it's time for a refreshing change, but maybe "one more thing" or the stylings will keep me with apple.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Thanks

Ah.. But will the new CEO continue Steve's inevitable "one more thing"?

Thanks

Maybe in china it wil only be HSPA+. But in the U.S, not gonna happen. It will be LTE or nothing. Think about it, AT&T would get a HSPA+ version, while, without LTE, Verizon would have the same EVDO version. EVDO is slightly slower than AT&T's regular 3G. Apple knows that would be highly unfair. Imagine, (Commercial) AT&T, your iPhone is 15 times faster on our network. Not going to happen. Apple would want the Verizon version just as equal to the AT&T one for many reasons. One being they probably wouldn't sell very many.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Since the chart also displays the iPhone 3G as being capable of 7.2Mbps, I wouldn't call this a reliable source.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

They didnt update the speed from the iPhone 3G-4G duh buddy^

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

HSPA+ is plenty fast for mobile use. I mean come on... even HD video from Hulu PLus and Netflix is only 3 Mb max with 1 Mb/sec standard. I am getting 4.98Mb/sec right now so double this on HSPA+ is actually faster than most people get on DSL or a base tier cable modem. Additionally I like my battery life and all phones tested on LTE last less than 8 hours under moderate use. Apple is not going to make this sacrifice until CPU/battery technology catch up to compensate.

With HSPA+ at 10Mb/sec you realize you can eat up your 2GB data cap in less than 30 minutes right? People who want LTE... WHY?! What could you POSSIBLY do with 25Mb+/sec for 10 minutes before you blow through your data cap?!

2GB = 2000MB = 16,000Mbits. 16,000Mbits/10Mb per second = 1600 seconds = 26.6 minutes (in case anyone was wondering where I got my figures)
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 09-29-2011 at 10:54 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mysterion's Avatar
    Thanks
    4G greatness!
    iPhone 4 Verizon

Untethered jailbroken w/ Sn0wbreeze

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Channan View Post
    Since the chart also displays the iPhone 3G as being capable of 7.2Mbps, I wouldn't call this a reliable source.
    iPhone 3G, 3G and 4 are all capable of 3G speeds of 7.2Mbps. It depends on your mobile carrier to offer that speed to you.

China Unicom have not leaked 4G support. They have leaked HSPA+ support for iPhone 5. HSPA+ is NOT 4G.
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 09-29-2011 at 11:02 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (09-29-2011)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    HSPA+ is NOT 4G.
    Sigh, yes it is. It wasn't part of the original definition of 4G, but neither was LTE or any other current 4G branded tech. The revised 4G definition does consider HSPA+ as 4G.

HSPA+ is capable of much, much higher speeds than 3G originally defined, so it's only fair to consider it a different tier.

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

This would be nice. Considering that I think AT&T just got HSPA+ working in my city. I constantly get 2.3 - 3.3 Mbits on iPhone 3GS.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Makes no difference to us Brits, we only have 3G network.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z6joker9 View Post
    Sigh, yes it is. It wasn't part of the original definition of 4G, but neither was LTE or any other current 4G branded tech. The revised 4G definition does consider HSPA+ as 4G.

HSPA+ is capable of much, much higher speeds than 3G originally defined, so it's only fair to consider it a different tier.
    I beg to differ. HSPA+ has always and will always be simply 3.5G at the most.

...Sigh

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    I beg to differ. HSPA+ has always and will always be simply 3.5G at the most.

...Sigh
    I have to agree with you here. Just because the FCC changed the wording doesn't mean HSPA+ is magically now 4G technology. They did this so companies could market themselves as "4G" and spark competition IMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

feidhlim1986 (09-29-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I have to agree with you here. Just because the FCC changed the wording doesn't mean HSPA+ is magically now 4G technology. They did this so companies could market themselves as "4G" and spark competition IMO.
    This is the very reason why Apple will not call an iPhone with HSPA+ the iPhone 4G. I've only seen companies in the U.S. mistakenly call HSPA+ 4G. In Europe it's widely known as 3G or maybe 3.5G.

Calling HSPA+ 4G is like if we had called EDGE, 3G ,compared with GPRS.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (09-29-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone xxhorseriderxxx's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ssfirme View Post
    galaxy s2, I love it

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

This speed lust is ridiculous. "Standard" 3G is already plenty fast. If we get HSPA+, great. If not, it won't sway my decision in any way. With all of the data limitations being placed on us I almost feel like increasing speeds is a moot point.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (09-29-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    This speed lust is ridiculous. "Standard" 3G is already plenty fast. If we get HSPA+, great. If not, it won't sway my decision in any way. With all of the data limitations being placed on us I almost feel like increasing speeds is a moot point.
    Yep.. typical consumers with stars in their eyes and drool coming out the side of their mouth when they see "4G LTE" all over the TV without any regard to thinking critically about actual consumption vs restrictions. Mobile video and gaming and browsing would not benefit in the least over current 3G speeds. The only time you'd want 4G is to tether and download large file to a laptop... but at 2GB per month it's worthless... so what's the point as you said.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ssfirme View Post
    iPhone 5

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th