+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: Nearly Half of U.S. Mobile Users Plan to Buy iPhone 5, iPhone 4S Not As Much

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Nearly Half of U.S. Mobile Users Plan to Buy iPhone 5, iPhone 4S Not So Much

According to mobile ad company InMobi, 41 percent of U.S. mobile users plan to buy the iPhone 5.

InMobi questioned 1,086 users across an “even demographic split” and found that 50 percent of those planning to buy an iPhone 5 will do so within the first six months. PaidContent posits—based on this survey and others—there is a pent-up demand for the iPhone 5. This coupled with Sprints 52 Million users being able to purchase the new phone could increase Apple’s overall market share.

If consumers put their money where their mouths are, these numbers could go a long way to bumping up Apple’s overall market share in the UK and the U.S.. According to figures from Kantar Worldpanel, in Q2 Apple had an 18.3 percent share of the UK smartphone market; another research group, comScore, puts it around 20 percent. If people follow through with their purchasing intent, InMobi says this share would go up to 40 percent. In the U.S., the market share would grow to 41 percent. — PaidContent
    However, all these predictions are based on Apple releasing an iPhone 5. If Apple releases a marginal update in the form of an iPhone 4S, significantly fewer users claim they would purchase the new device. In the U.K. the number drops from nearly 40 percent of users to only 12 percent purchasing the phone. However, what is rather shocking is the number of current RIM users who will be willing to give up their BlackBerry for either an iPhone 5 (45 percent) or 4S (28 percent).

Apple’s announcement next week is the culmination a never ending waiting game. With each closing month—now day—researchers are seeing a drop in other kinds of mobile activity by users, in anticipation of the new iPhone launch. Mobile marketing company Fiksu found that during the month of August organic app downloads were down more than 30 percent compared to previous months. The theory is that users are holding off on purchases and downloads on their current devices before making the switch to Apple’s latest offering.

It’s rather amazing that the mere anticipation of product launch can have that large of an impact on user’s mobile activity. But, when nearly half of current mobile users are anticipating a new device, it makes sense that the effects would be palpable.

Source: PaidContent

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

I would too!

I think it's incredible how much attention a nonexistent device has brought across the internet. It must be easily the most sought after item in the world today. I am excited to see the sales numbers for the first quarter.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

i would buy a iphone 5 within the first 3 months, and iPhone 4s maybe within 6 months depends on if apple will go back to its june/july timeframe or if there gonna stick with the october release dates

Thanks
    I know they're not gonna do much about it, but the price is going to be a big deal, so I hope they would some how cut the price a little more affordable. :P

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Do same survey in front of where I work, that number would be significantly less.

Thanks

I'm still not sure what people think the difference between the iPhone 5 and the 4S is?

How can people make judgments on products which they know nothing about?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

iPhone 4S or 5... not for me.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I'm still not sure what people think the difference between the iPhone 5 and the 4S is?

How can people make judgments on products which they know nothing about?
    Most people consider the iPhone 4s to be a minor upgrade like from 3G to the 3GS. Where's as iPhone 5 they consider it to be a major hardware(different form factor) and software change like from the 3G/3GS to the iPhone 4

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

I BET YOU $100 THOSE that said will wait will be the first ones to be in the long lines at ATT and Apple Stores !

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mysterion's Avatar
    Thanks
    iPhone 5 just is more interesting
    iPhone 4 Verizon

Untethered jailbroken w/ Sn0wbreeze

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I would too!

I think it's incredible how much attention a nonexistent device has brought across the internet. It must be easily the most sought after item in the world today. I am excited to see the sales numbers for the first quarter.
    the title of this story says "nearly half of US mobile users plan to buy the iPhone 5" but they admitted they only surveyed 1,086 users? so if my math is correct, the ENTIRE US HAS JUST OVER 2,172 MOBILE USERS?!?!?

Comscore July 2011 reports that there are 80 Million Americans with smartphones and more than half of those subscribers are Android users. so that's over 40 million Americans who chose NOT to have an iPhone.

1,086 people out of 80,000,000 is about %0.0013575 Nowhere near 41% by any stretch of the imagination so could someone tell me how such a percentage of people represent the opinion of 80 million people?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    the title of this story says "nearly half of US mobile users plan to buy the iPhone 5" but they admitted they only surveyed 1,086 users? so if my math is correct, the ENTIRE US HAS JUST OVER 2,172 MOBILE USERS?!?!?

Comscore July 2011 reports that there are 80 Million Americans with smartphones and more than half of those subscribers are Android users. so that's over 40 million Americans who chose NOT to have an iPhone.

1,086 people out of 80,000,000 is about %0.0013575 Nowhere near 41% by any stretch of the imagination so could someone tell me how such a percentage of people represent the opinion of 80 million people?
    Agreed. These surveys are idiotic.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Either MacRumors or 9to5Mac already posted this story...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post

The definition of Survey: to take a general or comprehensive view of or appraise, as a situation, area of study, etc.

As in most surveys they used the general aspect. We can't even have a successful census in the U.S. much less get every persons personal thoughts on whether they'd buy and iPhone 5 or 4s. This is a general survey to be taken with a grain of salt. Just like every other survey you've ever read.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

one thing that i dont understand is why would it be called the iphone 5?

iphone>iphone3G>iphone3GS>iphone4(the 4th iphone model)>iphone4S>iphone 5? why is it not the iphone 6? its the 6th model of the iphone.
    Last edited by dfsethpatterson; 09-29-2011 at 06:41 AM.

Thanks

The iPhone 5 will e the 5th Gen iPhone.
    There will not be an iPhone 4S

Just a guess....
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I'm gonna be pissed if I don't get one within the first week of release. That means I'll need to wait up all night, and continually refresh my computer to pre-order online, bc I refuse to camp out in long azz lines the day, night, week of store release......hold up wait....I'm still using a slow azz 3GS and have got to get this new iphone regardless of 4S or 5.....so I stand corrected. There is a first time for everything.

Thanks

The headline is very misleading. Turn off the hype machine.

It should read: Half of those surveyed would buy.......
    Hmm...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I would too!

Apple is famous for this. Something gets filed as a patent or some random hardware piece shows up in a database, the internet goes crazy for it.

If the iPhone5 is infact a 4s which it is looking like, there will be a lot of upset people. If the device comes out and has some hardware changes other than software tweaks and different processor then it will be successful. These new screen sizes are strange tho. Nothing in the API is showing a different screen so it will be intresting to see what the new phone brings.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I really doubt there will be 2 iPhones on release in my opinion. Only makes sense to just make the iPhone 4S at this point. Then they just lower the price on the iPhone 4 instead of making a 5 and making a lower priced 4S. That way all the people some what new to iPhones or dumb people buy the iPhone 4S. People that bought the iPhone 4 last year will wait til they have some kind of upgrade when they release the iPhone 5 whenever the hype of the 4S dies down.