+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bypassing iTunes Error (1) When Downgrading to iOS 4.3.3

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
When downgrading from an iOS 5 beta back to the last firmware that supports an untethered jailbreak, users have been reporting strange iTunes errors. One of the rarer errors is
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Bypassing iTunes Error (1) When Downgrading to iOS 4.3.3

When downgrading from an iOS 5 beta back to the last firmware that supports an untethered jailbreak, users have been reporting strange iTunes errors. One of the rarer errors is the one shown above; it will leave your device in a recovery loop and can be very frustrating. Here is a guide for Mac users explaining how to get out of this recovery loop and get your device up and running on the latest firmware that supports an untethered jailbreak.

I recommend reading through the guide before attempting it.

YOU WILL NEED YOUR SHSH BLOBS TO DO THIS

You will need:
    1. The latest version of iTunes (10.5 beta is fine).
    2. Tinyumbrella.
    3. Fix Recovery 43 Terminal command.
    4. iOS 4.3.3 Firmware: iPad 2 (wifi only), iPad 2 (GSM), iPad 2 (CDMA), iPad 1, iPhone 4 (GSM), iOS 4.2.8 for iPhone 4 (CDMA), iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 4G, iPod Touch 3G.

The First step in this process is to put your device in DFU mode. (To put it in DFU mode: plug in the iDevice, then hold the power button and home button together for exactly 10 seconds, then release the power button while continuing to hold the home for an additional 10 seconds or until iTunes recognizes it. iTunes will see it as being in recovery mode.) The screen should be black and should not display an iTunes logo and a USB cable, if it does then you are in recovery mode.

Open Tinyumbrella and begin the TSS server by clicking the, "start TSS server" button in the right side of the window. Once you do, a green check mark will appear saying that the TSS server is running as shown below:

Having started TSS, iTunes will close, just open it back up and click "OK" in the recovery mode prompt box. Now hold down your Option key and click restore and navigate to wherever you saved the iOS 4.3.3 firmware to and open it - iTunes will begin the restore process.

When your iDevice finishes and boots back up, you should be stuck in a recovery loop with iTunes handing you an error message with some strange number. Your iDevice screen will have an iTunes logo and a USB cable on it indicating that it's in recovery mode and iTunes will also prompt you.

Go ahead and close iTunes - your Tinyumbrella and its TSS server should still be up and running. Take your iDevice (which should be in recovery mode right now), and put it back into DFU mode again. Open the folder that you downloaded the Fix Recovery 43 terminal command to and right click it and choose, "open with terminal."

After doing so the terminal will begin executing commands to kick your device out of the recovery loop. Do not disconnect your iDevice during this process. As it loads, the iPhone may reboot, and the screen will display black with white code just as if you were jailbreaking it. Let it run without disconnecting the device. The iDevice should then reboot back to stock iOS 4.3.3 settings and you should be all set to sync it with iTunes or to rejailbreak it again using JailbreakMe or Redsn0w. Once finished close the TSS server.

Recommendations:
    If this didn't work for you, make sure your hosts file is cleared of any customizations either by deleting those lines or by commenting them out. The hosts file needs to be pointing at Apple. Afterwards try again.

Do not use the Exit Recovery option built into Tinyumbrella. It will not work - it will send you back into the recovery loop.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 09-28-2011 at 07:36 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

ChSchuldiner (09-28-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

When this happened to me, I just ran Redsn0w to get out and I run windows

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbillh77's Avatar
    Thanks

Any way to do this without the shsh ( I tried to update with out backing up the baseband is ipad)
    Last edited by bbillh77; 09-28-2011 at 06:36 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bbillh77 View Post
    Any way to do this without the shsh ( I tried to update with out backing up the firmware is ipad)
    This unfortunately cannot be done without your SHSH. The SHSH file holds important data for your specific device on that specific firmware. Without it you have no choice but to update to the latest firmware.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbillh77's Avatar
    Thanks

I need a custom file with 4.3.5 and ipad baseband.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bbillh77 View Post
    I need a custom file with 4.3.5 and ipad baseband.
    Can't post custom firmware links in the forum.

My iPhone is a Part of Me RandyTG's Avatar
    Thanks

DO you know of a way around the [20] error when downgrading from 4.3.5 to 4.3.3 on an iPhone 4?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RandyTG View Post
    DO you know of a way around the [20] error when downgrading from 4.3.5 to 4.3.3 on an iPhone 4?
    You will need Tinyumbrella's advanced settings reset to defaults. Put your device in DFU mode. Start the TSS server and try again.

This seems to have worked for people having the Error (20) - although I can't necessarily stand behind it because I've never had that experience. Good luck!

szr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    Can't post custom firmware links in the forum.
    This is the first time I've ever heard anything like this. Custom firmwares are not piracy, not even close, so I'd really be interesting in hearing what rule you think that would be violating?

Thanks

Or... you can make use of iFaith. Smoothest downgrade method I've used. Unlike TinyUmbrella, you can create signed IPSW's (as long as you have your SHSH for that particular firmware saved.)

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Could someone please explain in English SHSH blobs are, and how to know if they're saved? This is the one thing that's always confused me

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom7 View Post
    Or... you can make use of iFaith. Smoothest downgrade method I've used. Unlike TinyUmbrella, you can create signed IPSW's (as long as you have your SHSH for that particular firmware saved.)
    The new version of Redsn0w has this feature - you can stitch SHSH files to your firmware for a smooth, signed downgrade (currently doesn't support iPhone yet because of baseband issues).

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    Could someone please explain in English SHSH blobs are, and how to know if they're saved? This is the one thing that's always confused me
    It's a file saved from your device that holds confidential device information referring to your model and firmware. It's used to sign Apple's firmware. If you don't have it your firmware cannot be signed because Apple's server will treat it as a firmware from an outside source. If you have your SHSH, Apple's servers will think that it's their original firmware. This is not to be confused with being signed, however. Apple stops signing older firmware as new firmware is released. The SHSH is basically a snapshot of your device passing the signing. It takes third party software to trick iTunes into accepting the outdated snapshot.

You can know if they are saved by looking at the green numbers at the top of Cydia. Or you can save your SHSH files to you hard drive using Tinyumbrella.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 09-28-2011 at 07:25 PM.

szr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Go ahead and close iTunes - your Tinyumbrella and its TSS server should still be up and running. Take your iDevice (which should be in recovery mode right now), and put it back into DFU mode again. Open the folder that you downloaded the Fix Recovery 43 terminal command to and right click it and choose, "open with terminal."

After doing so the terminal will begin executing commands to kick your device out of the recovery loop.
    I'm wondering, is there a reason why one cannot simply use Tinyumbrella's "Exit Recovery" and/or "Fix Recovery" functions? Or does that not work with this specific problem?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by szr View Post
    I'm wondering, is there a reason why one cannot simply use Tinyumbrella's "Exit Recovery" and/or "Fix Recovery" functions? Or does that not work with this specific problem?
    That specifically will not work with this problem.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

szr (09-28-2011)

Thanks

@AnthonyBouchard Redsnow has the ability to created signed IPSW's? That's cool, guess I didn't realize that.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Good write up Anthony. I'm sure a lot of people will benefit from this. Also have a question for anybody. Is there a step by step guide for using iFaith or New version of redsnow to "stitch" or create signed firmwares. I don't use redsnow because it updates baseband and haven't taken a real good look at iFaith.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris3k2 For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (09-28-2011)

Thanks

@Chris3k2 Here is a tutorial for using iFaith on windows. http://jaxov.com/2011/07/download-if...ed-shsh-blobs/

I don't know if that helps. If it doesn't just google something like "iFaith tutorial for Mac" "or windows". There are also plenty of tutorials out there for using RedSnow as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

This is the first time I've ever heard anything like this. Custom firmwares are not piracy, not even close, so I'd really be interesting in hearing what rule you think that would be violating?
    Actually it is a violation. It is altered software from a company. Jailbreak scene releases tools for you to alter the software on your own. Waiving any legal responsibilty as they just release tools and not actually releasing altered software to you.

Added note is MMi does not allow custom software to be linked in order to save any further legal trouble.
    Last edited by Cer0; 09-28-2011 at 08:20 PM.

szr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    Actually it is a violation. It is altered software from a company. This is why the jailbreak teams release tools for you to do it yourself. If it was legal they could just release the custom firmware themselves. Releasing a tool to do it yourself is not illegal.
    I'm still not sure I follow on how a custom firmware violates anything. I see custom firmwares for routers, DVRs, dvd and blu-ray players (set-top), etc etc. I am curious as to why this is different. Thanks.

Thanks

I'm still not sure I follow on how a custom firmware violates anything. I see custom firmwares for routers, DVRs, dvd and blu-ray players (set-top), etc etc. I am curious as to why this is different. Thanks.
    Apple firmware is copyrighted by Apple. Modifying any parts of it is a violation of intellectual property laws. It is not open source software.