+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bypassing iTunes Error (1) When Downgrading to iOS 4.3.3

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard Apple firmware is copyrighted by Apple. Modifying any parts of it is a violation of intellectual property laws. It is not open source software. Fair
    szr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Apple firmware is copyrighted by Apple. Modifying any parts of it is a violation of intellectual property laws. It is not open source software.
    Fair enough, but let me ask, wouldn't it actually be a derived work? I realize it is not "open source", but I do not believe that in and of itself prevents one from deriving a work from it. This doesn't seem to be clear as far as copy-right law and open vs closed source goes (and also that the author of the derived work is not attempting to sell or profit from it with out permission from the original author - Apple.)
    Last edited by szr; 09-28-2011 at 10:48 PM.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 773 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by szr View Post
    Fair enough, but let me ask, wouldn't it actually be a derived work? I realize it is not "open source", but I do not believe that in and of itself prevents one from deriving a work from it. This doesn't seem to be clear as far as copy-right law and open vs closed source goes (and also that the author derived work is not attempting to sell or profit from it with out permission from the original author - Apple.)
    A derivative work is something you build on your own with inspiration from something. Since Apple created it in the first place and you would be modifying its contents - that would not be a derivative work. If you made your own version of iOS, you would be free to edit it as you wanted to. Since it's a work based on someone else's however, you would not be able to sell it or distribute it because Apple came up with that idea first. If you came up with your own operating system altogether and it wasn't a derivative work, you would be able to sell or distribute it (even modify it) at your leisure.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

Cer0 (09-28-2011), ChSchuldiner (09-28-2011), szr (09-28-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone iFrosty's Avatar
    Thanks

When i had this issue I used Pwnage tool to make a custom .ipsw for 4.3.3. I then put it in pwned DFU, ran Tiny Umbrella and then restored it without any hitches.

Edit: I used it for my iPhone 4 incase anyone was wondering
    Last edited by iFrosty; 09-28-2011 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iFrosty View Post
    When i had this issue I used Pwnage tool to make a custom .ipsw for 4.3.3. I then put it in pwned DFU, ran Tiny Umbrella and then restored it without any hitches.

Edit: I used it for my iPhone 4 incase anyone was wondering
    Yes it's been possible to use Jailbreak tools to escape recovery mode. This method however, gives you the choice to jailbreak or not. There are benefits to that, like selling the device or returning it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me RandyTG's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by szr View Post
    Fair enough, but let me ask, wouldn't it actually be a derived work? I realize it is not "open source", but I do not believe that in and of itself prevents one from deriving a work from it. This doesn't seem to be clear as far as copy-right law and open vs closed source goes (and also that the author of the derived work is not attempting to sell or profit from it with out permission from the original author - Apple.)
    I thought that was the whole knock that apple had with jailbreaking, but the ruling was that you can reverse engineer software if your purpose is to enhance it and not steal it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RandyTG View Post
    I thought that was the whole knock that apple had with jailbreaking, but the ruling was that you can reverse engineer software if your purpose is to enhance it and not steal it.
    All the jailbreak does is install a third party application on the device that opens a door for unapproved software. Apple doesn't want that; although, it isn't modifying any contents of iOS.

Cydia tweaks on the other hand, do modify core contents of iOS. Tweaks are not installed by the jailbreak though, they are installed by the user.
    Last edited by ChSchuldiner; 09-29-2011 at 10:40 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thankyou for this!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hmmorg View Post
    thankyou for this!
    You're welcome!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How can I make this work in Windows 7? How do I run the fix recovery 43 command? Thanks for the help

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nhk236 View Post
    How can I make this work in Windows 7? How do I run the fix recovery 43 command? Thanks for the help
    The process should be nearly the same. The only real difference is that you download the Windows version of FixRecovery from Tiny Umbrella's website, and then you hold shift+restore in iTunes instead of the Mac's option+restore. To run the FixRecovery just right click it and run it as an administrator, or double click it.

Cheers!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Oh I see...please excuse my ignorance haha.

Thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks
    wow! how depressing i spent 7 hours yesterday trying to figure this out even though all i wanted to do was restore from 4.3.3 to 4.3.3 and in the end landed on 5.0. Damn!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    Could someone please explain in English SHSH blobs are, and how to know if they're saved? This is the one thing that's always confused me

i have a question about this too i looked into cydia and it says SHSH 4.3.5 in green i want to make sure that if anything goes wrong there is a way to restore my phone to factory settings unjailbroken. How do i figure out how to do this because i just keep getting an incorrect build message every time i try to restore my phone to factory or update to iOS 5. I just want to make sure i have my SHSH saved so i can go to JB 5.0.1 without finding out that i lost the file.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12