+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Add Seconds to Clock on Lock Screen with LockSecondsIndicator

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
For those of you who may be extremely picky and (or) particular about what the time is, this tweak may be a viable option for you. Stock iOS doesn't offer
    Thanks

Default Add Seconds to Clock on Lock Screen with LockSecondsIndicator

For those of you who may be extremely picky and (or) particular about what the time is, this tweak may be a viable option for you. Stock iOS doesn't offer a ton of customization in regards to the clock on the lock screen (except 24/12 hour toggle), so it's nice to see simple tweaks coming out to change things up. If you are one to want to know the time down to the absolute second, try LockSecondsIndicator.

Just as the name describes, LockSecondsIndicators allows you to add a seconds component to the clock on the lock screen. Everything is configured through the Lock Seconds Preferences tab in Settings and conveniently only gives you two options: Blinking Dots and Hide Seconds. Blinking Dots is a toggle to turn on or off the clock dots from blinking at a seconds pace. Hide Seconds determines whether you want to the seconds field to be hidden or visible. Other than that, there's nothing else to configure.

Hopefully the developer adds some new features in regards to customizing your clock. The simplicity of the tweak is great but it would be nice to have a little more customization than two options. If you find this something you'd wish to try or consider, go search for it on Cydia. It's free and available on all devices and firmwares (works on iOS 5, however since PreferenceLoader is not supported yet, it is useless and you can't change any settings).

Name: LockSecondsIndicator
    Author: Chef von Australien
    Version: 0.0.3
    Price: Free
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 09-27-2011 at 10:56 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 811 Posts

Some tweaks are just plain useless. This is one of the many that have been showcased in the "Cydia tweak headlines" as of late.
    Last edited by toyvan; 09-27-2011 at 11:11 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toyvan View Post
    Some tweaks are just plain useless. This is one of the many that have been showcased in the "Cydia tweak headlines" as of late.
    Nonetheless, they are still tweaks and it is still news.

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

As someone who has previously commented on the seemingly lackluster showcase of featured tweaks, I find it somewhat ironic / amusing to see that as the first post regarding a tweak that I use myself . Sometimes it's just useful to be able to easily measure seconds without having to go into the alarm app. I combo this with 60secondlockscreen to make it more useful as well.

In general I love your posts Josh, and your ability to respond to comments in a professional manner (most writers here never respond to comments or fix inaccuracies). As I try to think of constructive feedback on tweak news, the only thing I can really think of is to maybe do a once a week or so "top 3" or something similar to what's occasionally done with themes. I still think exceptional tweaks and instances where you're able to interview the developer (I love those btw) merit their own post.

It's also kind of odd that you're showcasing this newer mod that requires a preference panel to enable. What about the orignal LockSeconds tweak that's hosted here on MMi? That's the one I've been using for a few months now. I'm just curious what is your criteria for that sort of thing? Were you unaware of the previous mod, or did you focus on this one only because it is newer, or it's just the one you got tipped off about?

Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by krosis; 09-28-2011 at 01:01 AM. Reason: paragraphs ftw

Thanks

A tweak is a tweak it's better then nothing. We should still appreciate the time people put into making the tweaks even if some people have no need for some of them. Maybe we should make a thread about tweak ideas that our community has.....

Green Apple
    Thanks

what?? a tweak just like this was already on cydia!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krosis View Post
    As someone who has previously commented on the seemingly lackluster showcase of featured tweaks, I find it somewhat ironic / amusing to see that as the first post regarding a tweak that I use myself . Sometimes it's just useful to be able to easily measure seconds without having to go into the alarm app. I combo this with 60secondlockscreen to make it more useful as well.

In general I love your posts Josh, and your ability to respond to comments in a professional manner (most writers here never respond to comments or fix inaccuracies). As I try to think of constructive feedback on tweak news, the only thing I can really think of is to maybe do a once a week or so "top 3" or something similar to what's occasionally done with themes. I still think exceptional tweaks and instances where you're able to interview the developer (I love those btw) merit their own post.

It's also kind of odd that you're showcasing this newer mod that requires a preference panel to enable. What about the orignal LockSeconds tweak that's hosted here on MMi? That's the one I've been using for a few months now. I'm just curious what is your criteria for that sort of thing? Were you unaware of the previous mod, or did you focus on this one only because it is newer, or it's just the one you got tipped off about?

Keep up the good work!
    First off, I appreciate the encouragement - that means a lot!

Now the "Top Three," idea, that's excellent. I have thought of doing something along these lines myself however I have not gotten around to doing it. Lately, I have been busy with school (mostly) and I still have CallBar and other projects to continually evolve.

In regards to packages that are similar in Cydia, my aim is to provide news about what is new and rising in Cydia. These days, there are a ton of "copycats" if you will to a lot of primary products in Cydia, however that doesn't discount their existence. I offer people preference - in this case, would they rather use this package or the other LockSeconds package? I offer the information necessary to allow the user to make the decision on their own. Plus, it gives opportunities for new upcoming developers to get exposure so they can continue to grow and flourish as developers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krosis View Post
    While I've noticed the same "seemingly lackluster showcase of featured tweaks", I haven't commented on it before, as complaining about the quality of such content (without adding any fresh content myself) is... even less lustrous indeed.

No, this isn't a tweak I'd used before, or even seen on Cydia,
    but it'll be my next download after I signoff here.

Why not useless????

Because the clock display on the standard lock screen isn't merely coarse (hours, minutes)
    it's often just plain wrong! It's sticky, and sluggish. If you open the lock screen at ~ HH:MM:57 or HH:MM:58 it won't update to HH:MM+1 until you close and reopen/refresh. (usually. Sometimes it does refresh, but not reliably.)

The builtin clock features; "world clock" and the ill-begotten Alarm you mention, just plain suck. There are other clock themes and tools out there, but haven't found anything remotely usable for me.

the "ntpdate" Cydia App oddly enough comes close (for obsessive nerds like me), but the display is so tiny that its frustrating to use as a display clock, and not really what it was intended for.

Thanks, Josh.

Keep up the good work!
    And thanks to you!
    I'll check out LockSeconds as well.

I'd actually been looking for a tweak that did this for a couple years, and somehow had neither stumbled on the original, nor the latest effort. Its difficult to effectively search, even when you know what you'd like to find sometimes.

Being "tipped off about an app" sounds easier than just knowing about everything that exists.

Edit:
    Oh, also a plug for NTPDATE:
    http://modmyi.com/cydia/com.hanjo-net.ntpdate
    It's a gui for syncing your iOS device with network time server.
    Nice, if you don't use iTunes for synching.
    Last edited by raduga; 09-28-2011 at 08:35 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I like it because it adds some movement to an otherwise stagnant lock screen. But it doesn't work w/Lockinfo, so it's of no use to me. I'll grab it if the dev makes them compatible.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Thanks for the heads-up Josh

Thanks

How is this news? I've had seconds showing on my lock screen clock since I first JB my 3GS on 3.1.2 way back in Spring 2010. And I agree that sometimes it's just easier to measure a certain number of seconds this way than by using the actual alarm.app timer or stopwatch. I also have the 20 second lock screen tweak, did not know there was a 60 second tweak. Might have to get that now.

This was actually my lock screen up until iOS 4 was released, using a photo I shot in Budapest, Hungary when I was over there in 2005:

Last edited by PatrickGSR94; 09-28-2011 at 09:05 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jcs0190 View Post
    what?? a tweak just like this was already on cydia!!
    I used to use on that added seconds too! LockSeconds or something

Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 Classified SLI
    1200watt Antec PSU
    Haf X
    EVGA P67 FTW
    Corsair H80
    Corsair Vengeance 16gig 8-8-8-24
    Sony Optiarc 24x

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I wish the seconds were smaller. I dont like how they the same size as min. and hr. 1/4 size would be great.

Thanks
    Hi, I am on 3G 4.2.1 but cant seem to find the Tab in Settings. Reboot and respring were all done. Any help pls??