+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Replace Standard "." For Double Tapping Space Bar with Custom Double Space

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
When it comes to texting, updating your Facebook status, tweeting, or just typing in general on your iDevice, any enhancement to makes that typing easier is always welcome. Whether simple
    Thanks

Default Replace Standard "." For Double Tapping Space Bar with Custom Double Space

When it comes to texting, updating your Facebook status, tweeting, or just typing in general on your iDevice, any enhancement to makes that typing easier is always welcome. Whether simple or complex, tweaks of this nature offer great functionality to the typing experience.

According to the stock iOS standard, if you double tap the space bar, it places a "." after whatever you're typing. But what if you wanted to change what the double tap on the space bar did? Custom Double Space, a recently released tweak, allows you to customize that.

Inside the Custom Double Space settings tab, you can choose to enable the tweak entirely as well as set what you want double space to output. It can be any text you desire. When you are at a situation where you need to use double space, you will output whatever you set in settings. Custom Double Space comes with an SBSettings toggle as well if you wish to disable or enable at various times.

Although this tweak is fairly simple, the idea is kind of along the lines of iOS 5's new Shortcuts features. For the time being, Custom Double Space could be a potential help however I don't see how it will be useful or necessary when iOS 5 goes public. Unless the developer finds a way to enhance its features and functionality, it will be dead in the water fairly soon.

If you wish to try it out, it's free on Cydia now. It's available for free as well as on all devices and firmwares, with the exception of the iOS 5 beta.

Name: Custom Double Space
    Author: Itay
    Version: 1.0-1
    Price: Free
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 09-27-2011 at 10:32 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,191 Times in 980 Posts

I considered this tweak but I'm afraid it'll insert the text when I double space to start a new sentence. I'm reluctant but like the idea!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is a great idea, but it's just scratching the surface of one of my most-wanted tweaks since the original version of the iPhone – keyboard behaviour customization.I like to double-space between my sentences, but if I put a smiley after a sentence and double-space to begin my next sentence, it puts another period after the emoticon. I'd like to be able to change that behavoir, as well as double-spacing making a period and two spaces after it (instead of just one), though this app might do this one specific thing.Other customizations I'd like to be able to make are changing which characters on the symbols page change the keyboard back to letters when typed, and which leave it on the symbols when typed. For instance, typing the apostrophe switches the keyboard back to the letters, but typing a hyphen or a quotation mark does not (baffling). Typing a space always switches back to the letters, but it would be nice if you could make it base this switch on what was typed before the space, which could tie into the above.There is a lot of room for improvement and customization with the iOS keyboard behaviour, and I'd love to see this focused on with future tweaks. Custom Double Space is a great start, but it's just that – a start. Let's see more!

Thanks

Y'all do know that you can disable the period on double-space behavior in the stock iOS right? If you don't want a period after your emoticon when you double-space, just turn it off in Settings > General > Keyboard. I personally think the period on double-space is a great time saver, since I don't have to switch to the punctuation screen at the end of every sentence.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,191 Times in 980 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    Y'all do know that you can disable the period on double-space behavior in the stock iOS right? If you don't want a period after your emoticon when you double-space, just turn it off in Settings > General > Keyboard. I personally think the period on double-space is a great time saver, since I don't have to switch to the punctuation screen at the end of every sentence.
    I assume most of us know that BUT if you Tap double space (after the period) to start a new sentence then this tweak would add the custom text you created. That's why I'm reluctant to get this tweak.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    The problem is that it's all or nothing. I too like the time saving of double-space for period, but I don't want the period to appear when double-spacing in certain situations. It's already smart enough to do this (there are already situations where it doesn't input the period when double-spacing) so it's just lacking the actual logic. Similar to how certain symbols, when typed, automatically switch the keyboard back to the letters page while others leave it on the symbols page.