+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Early iPhone 5 Cases Could Be Based on Prototype Lost By Foxconn Worker

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Chinese accessory manufacturers have been pumping out iPhone 5 cases all summer despite the fact the device isn’t scheduled to be announced for another week. Ebay, OEM suppliers, and a
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Early iPhone 5 Cases Could Be Based on Prototype Lost By Foxconn Worker

Chinese accessory manufacturers have been pumping out iPhone 5 cases all summer despite the fact the device isn’t scheduled to be announced for another week. Ebay, OEM suppliers, and a number of other online retailers/suppliers have even been selling “iPhone 5” cases for months.

It is possible China is making an educated guess on what the next iPhone will look like and in turn making money by suckering enough people into making orders. But, that doesn't explain why every single early iPhone 5 case shares the same “teardrop” design. Is it possible that Chinese manufacturers know something we don’t? M.I.C gadget heard from a small iPhone accessory shop in Shenzhen that they do.

M.I.C is reporting a iPhone 5 prototype—rumored to have been lost by a Foxconn worker earlier this year—is the source of the teardrop case form factor seen online over the last few months.

The missing prototype is said to have been enclosed in a case to disguise it as a current-generation iPhone 4–which brings to mind the iPhone 4 prototype acquired by Gizmodo that was camouflaged as an iPhone 3GS. How Apple achieved that with the iPhone 5 supposedly wider and longer than the current iPhone 4 is a point to ponder.

It is said to be a test model with a finalized iPhone 5 chassis featuring the tear-drop design. However, the interesting thing about it is that it apparently houses what we assume to be slightly modified iPhone 4 electronics with components such as the A4 chip and even the same amount of memory.
    While the account is more than questionable, the details do mimic many of the details surrounding the iPhone 4 prototype that was lost in a bar before its release including the device being housed in a faux iPhone 4 case. The iPhone 5 prototype was reportedly sold for $3,100 to a case manufacturer and if one manufacturer gets it, it's only a matter of time before they all have their hands on a case to mimic and produce.

However, the device that was sold, and used as the model for the cases could potentially be a non-final prototype Apple decided to shelve. It wouldn’t be the first time an Apple prototype leaked and turned out to be nothing but hot air for the Internet to digest. All other leaks involving iPhone 5/4S parts point to a new phone that closely resembles the iPhone 4. Chinese manufacturers could very well have been duped by a non-production prototype iPhone and as a result are sitting on loads of useless cases.

Chinese manufacturers will know soon if what they produced can be fit on a new iPhone or used as a coaster.

Source: M.I.C gadget
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 09-27-2011 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks

Can't wait

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

The iPhone has to be symmetrical, if not I'm not buying it as it'll look ugly like that picture.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    The iPhone has to be symmetrical, if not I'm not buying it as it'll look ugly like that picture.
    what is so ugly about it?

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

i already ordered cases so......

Thanks

I Like the look in the pic. I would definitely buy it if it looked like that.

Thanks

cant imagine dropping that thing on its side and watching the 75 dollar screen shatter.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sammo123's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks like a good picture to me i would jump right on the iPhone 5 if thats what it looked like. Its a fake picture so its no symmetric by a very and i mean very small amount

Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 588 Posts

I hope the white/black parts aren't different sizes like in that picture...
    That would just suck...and I don't think I've seen a phone do that really...not like that at least

And I think apple should sell some prototypes too...
    Would be pretty sweet.
    The iAlmostApple store

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I would buy a phone like that only
    If it's squared like the iPhone 4
    Anything else is like a step back

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

They better NOT be making the iPhone 5 like the iPod Touch 4th Gen... making it almost impossible to repair the screens or get inside without a damn heat gun

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

So if it doesn't fit your idea of what a phone should look like u won't buy it?
    Is that's your only reason for not buying it?
    Last edited by BenderRodriguez; 09-29-2011 at 10:45 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

No iPhone is symmetrical. The speaker goes in the middle, so the cameras have to be off-center. But you already knew that. Now that I think about it, more likely you don't know what "Symmetrical" means.

Green Apple
    Thanks

'SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!!' btw i wouldn't hesitate to buy the new iPhone if that's what it looked like :3

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    I think apple might go bankrupt if you don't buy it....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    So if it doesn't fit your idea of what a phone should look like u won't buy it?
    Your an idiot if that's your only reason for not buying it
    Erm, you can't call people idiots on MMi without getting a warning.

If I don't like the design, i won't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    No iPhone is symmetrical. The speaker goes in the middle, so the cameras have to be off-center. But you already knew that. Now that I think about it, more likely you don't know what "Symmetrical" means.
    Of course I know what Symmetrical means, ignore the Home button, senors and speakers then the black/white frame is symmetrical with the screen in the middle.

Besides its not gonna look like that, it'll be a normal iPhone design.
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 09-28-2011 at 06:03 AM.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

[B][COLOR="#FF0000"]Erm, you can't call people idiots on MMi without getting a warning.
    Erm, you mean you don't want people call you an idiot on MMI. There's a reason I don't post on this terrible place anymore... So much has changed since the beginning. Just had to log in for the first time in a year to call you out though.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Stay with me here while I use some logic.Apple gives case manufacturers the iPhone's dimensions in advance of any announcement. It's not based of any lost prototype, it's how Apple operates and enables accessories available at launch.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

its the next greatest device on the market for not buying it for a small reason like that?

Now if it had the iPhone 4 cell reception problem then I might get on board but for design?

Every iPhone is going to be different that way it stands out and doesn't look like the first generation nor the 2nd nor any of them
    Last edited by BenderRodriguez; 09-29-2011 at 10:46 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ichwohneinloche View Post
    Erm, you mean you don't want people call you an idiot on MMI. There's a reason I don't post on this terrible place anymore... So much has changed since the beginning. Just had to log in for the first time in a year to call you out though.
    You don't know who hard I have to try to "dumb" down my responses to people, I have 2 infractions already and one more and then I'm banned but I don't care anymore as "Thanks Received", "Join Date" etc are no longer visible so I could just make another account.

In general, you can't say anything from a small insult to a big insult without a MMi mod giving you a warning, its way too strict this site and the new site sucks anyway and it seems Kyle and Cody just update and then abandon the site for month before coming back with another pointless update. I left this site for like 9 months as well, came back and all the then casual posters are no longer as active.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th