+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 5's Killer Feature May Be 'Assistant'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
oh please. cause the voice control that Idevices have now works oh so great.. I wont hold my breath. and i defintely wont upgrade for something as lame as this.
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Spaceman1701's Avatar
    Thanks

oh please. cause the voice control that Idevices have now works oh so great.. I wont hold my breath. and i defintely wont upgrade for something as lame as this. I am so sick of Apple screwing its past customers with new things for the new idevices and then snubbing their noses at past customers.
    Dont get me wrong, I love my IP4 and my IPad 2, but Apple seems to be falling behind in the technology curve. They wanna impress me.........Make it possible to make calls from my IPad 2 and we will talk, lol.
    Last edited by Spaceman1701; 09-26-2011 at 05:01 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ForumSnoBorderRK's Avatar
    Thanks

"Assistant" is not going to be iPhone 5's killer feature. Its not a killer feature at all. Its pretty cool but it is absolutely not something apple would base their entire product around (i.e. what a killer feature is).i dont get why some people freak out over assistant so much. its going to be a lightly used feature (that will likely fade) in the iphone 5 that the android kind of already has.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Not impressed. Apple, if you want me to buy the iPhone 5, it must be 64 GB.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman1701 View Post
    oh please. cause the voice control that Idevices have now works oh so great.. I wont hold my breath. and i defintely wont upgrade for something as lame as this. I am so sick of Apple screwing its past customers with new things for the new idevices and then snubbing their noses at past customers.
    Dont get me wrong, I love my IP4 and my IPad 2, but Apple seems to be falling behind in the technology curve. They wanna impress me.........Make it possible to make calls from my IPad 2 and we will talk, lol.
    You're one of those people who's never happy no matter what Apple does. You probably complained when Apple didn't allow multitasking on the iPhone 3G and at the same time complain how slow it is when you jailbreak it and add multitasking. Apple has spoiled people by adding backwards compatibility on their devices and they are WAY ahead of the curve when it comes to this than Android or any other phone manufacturer. If you buy a Samsung or HTC phone with Android you'd be lucky to get an update 6 months after Google releases it if anything at all. Apple doesn't want to provide a feature on a phone that won't give customers a perfect user experience... it's not always just to force people to upgrade. They learned their lesson when they allowed the iPhone 3G to have iOS 4 then got slapped with a class action law suite because the hardware couldn't handle it. I would much rather Apple withhold a feature for me that's not equipped to run on specific hardware then have it run like complete crap.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

I'm skeptical. Voice recognition has NEVER worked well in the past. With anything. How many times have you tried voice recognition and you had to shout at your device like a retarded robot? I hate that.

Wake me up when I can talk in a natural voice and it computes with 99% accuracy.

I want "Jarvis" from Iron Man - anything less is just a beta test to get to that point, and only chumps beta test.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (09-26-2011), raduga (09-30-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    I'm skeptical. Voice recognition has NEVER worked well in the past. With anything. How many times have you tried voice recognition and you had to shout at your device like a retarded robot? I hate that.

Wake me up when I can talk in a natural voice and it computes with 99% accuracy.

I want "Jarvis" from Iron Man - anything less is just a beta test to get to that point, and only chumps beta test.
    I think that's why they have to license Nuance to make this usable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

iPhone? More like MyPhone buttamix's Avatar
    Thanks

Go figure the iPhone 4 can't work with assistance. My upgrade isn't till next year. What else can apple do to the iPhone.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    You're one of those people who's never happy no matter what Apple does. You probably complained when Apple didn't allow multitasking on the iPhone 3G and at the same time complain how slow it is when you jailbreak it and add multitasking. Apple has spoiled people by adding backwards compatibility on their devices and they are WAY ahead of the curve when it comes to this than Android or any other phone manufacturer. If you buy a Samsung or HTC phone with Android you'd be lucky to get an update 6 months after Google releases it if anything at all. Apple doesn't want to provide a feature on a phone that won't give customers a perfect user experience... it's not always just to force people to upgrade. They learned their lesson when they allowed the iPhone 3G to have iOS 4 then got slapped with a class action law suite because the hardware couldn't handle it. I would much rather Apple withhold a feature for me that's not equipped to run on specific hardware then have it run like complete crap.
    There you go again needlessly bashing android. Why? The poster was referring to voice search which android has had for a very long time and implemented very well. As for updates, you are half right. Htc is pretty good. Swing is the slow one. For those who want updates as google releases them there is custom rOms. Cyanogen has vanilla roms out less than a mmonth after google releases them. Why the constant hate man? If android was as inferior as you say it wouldn't be doing nearly as well as it is. There is room on this planet for both operating systems. They are both great and feed off of One another.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 667 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    There you go again needlessly bashing android. Why? The poster was referring to voice search which android has had for a very long time and implemented very well. As for updates, you are half right. Htc is pretty good. Swing is the slow one. For those who want updates as google releases them there is custom rOms. Cyanogen has vanilla roms out less than a mmonth after google releases them. Why the constant hate man? If android was as inferior as you say it wouldn't be doing nearly as well as it is. There is room on this planet for both operating systems. They are both great and feed off of One another.
    Poseidon79 is talking about real updates from Google. Not someone hacked up version of Gingerbread or custom r0ms that are full of bugs. The only phone that can take a direct update from google is the Nexus S phones. Other than that the update release have to go thru the manufacturer and then thru the carriers so they can add there crap to it and then make a official release. To much BS just for a update, another reason why i like the iPhone, regular update to fix bug or add new features without having to wait for other 3rd parties to add there crap to it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by that_girl View Post
    Not impressed. Apple, if you want me to buy the iPhone 5, it must be 64 GB.
    Agree! And a bigger screen Won't hurt . Better be a white one too!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

wouldn't be cool if apple added real time night vision feature to their iphone cameras unlike those fake night vision apps that only simulate that feature.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkme93 View Post
    Agree! And a bigger screen Won't hurt . Better be a white one too!
    As I have stated many times before, a 64Gb iPhone is a physical impossibility until someone makes a 64Gb drive - which hasn't happened in any numbers yet. As for a bigger screen, that's something I really DON'T want.

I'm sure assistant will be limited to the iP5 (I don't believe it will be called the 4S, a faster processor, more memory, better camera and redesigned case make an IP5) because to get a good user experience needs the added firepower.

The best thing about it is the integration with possibly my favourite app, Wolfram Alpha - almost worth getting just for that....
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Actually appstore has the target app with this function already in it. Works a treat even on my 8Gb 3G iPhone!!!!! Unfortunately, I don't live in the US so not particularly useful, but the tech works well even with my aussie accent.
    Last edited by sewercyde; 09-27-2011 at 05:07 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman1701 View Post
    Isn't that generally how all technology companies run their business? If they made all the new features available for older hardware, then there wouldn't be a need to customers to upgrade which would result in fewer new products due to declining revenue.

I realize we're talking about a software update that can be pushed out to older devices, but Apple is a company and they're in the business of making as much money as possible. One of the knocks that the haters use on Apple is that it is so proprietary, but we all knew this when we bought our iDevices. If you're really this angry with their decision, then swap to Android.

I do remember when Apple released multitasking, but only made it available for the 3GS because they said the 3G didn't have the power to multitask efficiently. I was upset with them, but since I could jailbreak and enable multitasking anyway it wasn't a big deal. It turned out they were right and multitasking made my phone painfully slow. Perhaps they're right this time too.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I noticed on my iPhone 4 that if my phone is locked with a pass code I can still use my voice control to dial and start up my music player I haven't tried anything else. I hope if this assistant program will fix that,Or if you will still be able to access your phone while it is pass code locked. Especially since this assistant thing does so much I can just imagine my husband going through all my stuff with my phone locked.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    As for a bigger screen, that's something I really DON'T want...
    Well most ppl want a bigger screen so if you don't want it stay with ur iPhone 4!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkme93 View Post
    Well most ppl want a bigger screen so if you don't want it stay with ur iPhone 4!!
    On what basis do you believe 'most' people want a larger screen. I know many people that have bought Android devices thinking they wanted a larger screen and returned them for an iPhone after realising they are to big to carry and use as a phone.

My limited research shows the vast majority of people would rather have a smaller device with the same size scren and no more choice of screen sizes makes apps uniform and a far beter end user experience.

I do not believe that Apples research will have come to different conclusions. If you want a larger screen you can always buy an Android device.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,772 Times in 6,869 Posts

I would like a larger screen. I have a samsung galaxy s2 as well and the screen is awesome. If it only ran iOS it would be perfect.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    As I have stated many times before, a 64Gb iPhone is a physical impossibility until someone makes a 64Gb drive - which hasn't happened in any numbers yet.
    Is a 64Gb iPod a physical impossibility, too?
    Do you think someone will make a 64gb drive that will fit in an iPod eventually?
    Sure, the radio and GPS take up a little more room, but the iPhone's already a bit bulkier and heavier. Would just a wee bit more really hurt that much?
    I still think the reason the the largest capacity iPhone has *never* reached or exceeded the biggest iPod is marketing, product design and not basic engineering.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    It's not bashing if it's true. Its also not needless when it proves a valid point. The avg user doesn't want or have the knowledge to search for ROMs to update their device. The only reason Android is putting a dent in Apple market share is because it's being loaded on hundreds of crap hardware trying to compete with 3 models of Apple hardware. Android sells on a lot of devices but where it's actually counts... Profit... Apple kills every other phone manufacture combined by a LONG shot. Apple also wins in customer loyalty.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]