+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Two-Thirds of Google's Mobile Search Traffic Comes From iOS Devices

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Two-Thirds of Google's Mobile Search Traffic Comes From iOS Devices

The other day during Google’s testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee the company let a few interesting details slip out while under oath about Android and Google’s mobile efforts.

According to Google’s testimony 2/3 of Google’s mobile-search traffic comes from iOS devices. Some writers have described this as an embarrassing admission on Google’s part that their own Android platform supplies less mobile search than Apple’s products. However, those same people would be ignoring the fact Google is still raking in advertising money from those searches. Google has promised they have a revenue model for Android, and they do in fact make money off it. But, search and advertising is and always has been Google’s infinitely deep cash well.

Another interesting bit of information gleaned from Google’s testimony is that there was a bidding war between Google, Yahoo, and Microsoft to become the default Mobile Safari search engine. How much it cost Google to secure that is not known, but it is public knowledge that Apple does take a small cut of the ad revenue for every search that originates via one of its devices.

Not a very damning testimony, but interesting none the less. Imagine for a minute if Microsoft won the bidding war to become the default search in mobile Safari. I wonder what Steve Balmer would look like in that Bizarro World...

Source: 9to5Mac

Thanks

Wow... I hope google wins... I can see the jailbreak tweek now... NoBingInSafari.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 437 Posts

Google>Bing

What's Jailbreak? Matthew_Madlock's Avatar
    Thanks

Google better win I hate using bing and never use yahoo I've used google for 10 years and I'm 17 so that's my whole life basically or at least my whole on the web life if bing wins there had better be a choice to change it to what everyone uses... Google.

iPhone? More like MyPhone owais123's Avatar
    Thanks

Umm google already won

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Madlock View Post
    Google better win I hate using bing and never use yahoo I've used google for 10 years and I'm 17 so that's my whole life basically or at least my whole on the web life if bing wins there had better be a choice to change it to what everyone uses... Google.
    Anyone younger than 25 has used google their entire life

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Madlock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DONNUTT View Post
    WOW... I HOPE GOOGLE WINS... I CAN SEE THE JAILBREAK TWEEK NOW... NOBINGINSAFARI.
    Google already won, there WAS a bidding war, google won and that's why google is already the default search provider for Mobile Safari.

Thanks

My mobile devise I use Bing
    On my desktop I use Yahoo.
    But sometimes I google but none r special.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    Wow... I hope google wins... I can see the jailbreak tweek now... NoBingInSafari.
    Read the article correctly. It says there was a biding war.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Embarrassment would be if Google wasnt making any money off of all this. Now Google makes most of its money out ofiOS devices plus Android devices. Just gotta push Android little more. They got what it takes.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

I never google stuff on my iPhone anymore, I only use my laptop, the layout sucks

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Google search the best Bing and yahoo sucks you look for something and they send you to different ****. So that's why the success of google

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Default ??
    I think the key word is default, Google should save their money because i am an iPhone owner but i am also a google user which means if my new iphone came with a different search engine, i would just change it in the settings just as you can now under search engine options. I guess they worry of the millions of people that dont know how to change it. Google could put out a commercial during a prime time show like Modern Family showing how to change the settings on a iphone.

Save your money google, put it towards google plus and actually try to kill facebook.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Thank you Captain Obvious. The iPad/iPad2 enormous market share and sales might have something to do with that.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Harbrown View Post
    I think the key word is default, Google should save their money because i am an iPhone owner but i am also a google user which means if my new iphone came with a different search engine, i would just change it in the settings just as you can now under search engine options. I guess they worry of the millions of people that dont know how to change it. Google could put out a commercial during a prime time show like Modern Family showing how to change the settings on a iphone.

Save your money google, put it towards google plus and actually try to kill facebook.
    The average smartphone owner is uninformed. They see the little search box in the upper right hand corner of Safari and use it. They have no idea that they are given options. Hell, a lot of people assume it's an Apple hand-held/mobile product and therefore we don't get options. Fighting for the default search engine slot is likely a good idea, else a big company like Google wouldn't be doing it. Do you really feel YOU know better how Google should be spending their money? I am sure they have financial accountants/advisors that have been doing this thing since before you were born.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ozzie5374's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey, how many Google searches per minute are there...on average?? Try 34,000 searches per second - I think this was early 2010. I Googled it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Google me!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Google beats all on MobileSafari, but on desktops i like Bing better

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eightyk88 View Post
    Anyone younger than 25 has used google their entire life
    Actually I'm 21 and I used to used lycos, askjeeves, angelfire, and many others but mostly askjeeves

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuggler's Avatar
    Thanks

i can't stop laughing at the "i hope google wins" comments