+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's Supply Chain Running Into iPhone 5 Production Problems

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple's Supply Chain Running Into iPhone 5 Production Problems

Digitimes is reporting Apple’s supply chain is experiencing some problems that could affect the iPhone 5’s availability at launch.

Manufacturer Wintek produces roughly 25% of the iPhone 5 touch panels in Apple’s supply chain and currently the panels they’re producing defective panels. Digitimes' source reffered to the problem as “delayed bubbles.”

These bubbles are small pockets of gas that get trapped between the panel and the lamination layer and are incredibly difficult to detect during production. This means the bubbles are usually only spotted during assembly creating problems further down the production process than usual.

However, it seems this is a small problem. Wintek is still expecting to ship all of their orders on time, and with TPK Holding and Chimei Innolux having zero problems producing the lion’s share of panels (75-80%) the problem shouldn’t be too noticeable. Still, shortages are shortages and historically Apple’s launches of high-profile devices need every single unit possible. This past year Apple dealt for months with iPad 2 delays that left customers who purchased the device on launch day waiting, in some cases, months before receiving their iPad 2.

Apple is still hoping to ship 26 million iPhone 5s in Q4 according to Digitimes sources and they’ll need all phases of production and assembly running smoothly to reach that goal. Especially if they want to continue breaking sales records every quarter.

Source: Digitimes

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Well if Wintek still expects to ship ALL of their orders on time, then this isn't really a problem now is it......more of a nuisance.

I just hope none of those defective screens fell through the cracks and made it into the packaging.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Well since the release of the iPhone 5 has not been announced by Apple yet, they could just delay the launch until they have enough units for launch.....that would suck!

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Well I sure hope this new phone does not have that yellow smear on the glass, which apple claimed would go away after a few days.... RIGHT! till this day I still have this yellow smear which ended up being too much glue!

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I love the rendering... can I pre-order yet?!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    +1

This does have me a little nervous though. I think I will be checking for bubbles AT THE APPLE STORE to make sure everything is in order. I don't want to be stuck with a flawed unit. I was one of those guys that kept returning the phone for stuck pixels (that couldn't be fixed using the various methods floating around the web). Had good luck with my iphone 4 aside from my fiance running it through the wash about 12 hours after I got it.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 09-23-2011 at 03:39 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    In white?! *vomits in mouth*

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    Well since the release of the iPhone 5 has not been announced by Apple yet, they could just delay the launch until they have enough units for launch.....that would suck!
    or they could kiss Samsung's ***, say sorry and order the quality parts from Samsung as they have in the past.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

This thread is already giving me doubts about the quality of the iPhone 5. I'm certainly ready to buy it if it has what I need and has excellent build quality. If not.....it's just one more reason for me to dislike Apple further.

I'd hate to have to go through a dozen phones again to find one that is not defective.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 839 Posts

*sigh* Only a couple more weeks 'till we figure our what's true and what's rumor

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    *sigh* Only a couple more weeks 'till we figure our what's true and what's rumor
    Definitely

Put all this rumor crap away and enjoy the device

Green Apple
    Thanks

Think I'll wait till all the hype is over and see if any bugs pop up like last time before I get the new i5. My 3Gs is still running smooth.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baRRy boRRis View Post
    In white?! *vomits in mouth*
    Ok... so imagine it in black. Pretty simple, really. It's a very safe bet that the white and black (and any other possible color) variants will have identical form factors.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak? Matthew_Madlock's Avatar
    Thanks

This is easy to believe apple is making ever increasing complicated designs

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Well I sure hope this new phone does not have that yellow smear on the glass, which apple claimed would go away after a few days.... RIGHT! till this day I still have this yellow smear which ended up being too much glue!
    Wow I've never heard of that what device do you have? You warranty didn't cover it? Bizarre ...
    Last edited by Matthew_Madlock; 09-24-2011 at 03:49 PM.