Results 1 to 14 of 14

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Target's Official App Gives Early Look at Nuance's iOS 5 Voice-to-Text Feature

  1. #1
    Default Target's Official App Gives Early Look at Nuance's iOS 5 Voice-to-Text Feature



    Target recently updated their iOS app. Not a particularly noteworthy occurrence, unless youíre a sophomore in college looking for a cheap futon. However, Target may have accidentally debuted iOS 5ís voice-to-text feature powered by Nuance.

    A voice-to-text added to the shopping list feature in Targetís app caught TheNextWeb reader DaringFireball's attention. The feature operates almost identically to how leaked information and screens show Nuanceís rumored voice-to-text technology working in iOS 5. Oh and what company is powering Targetís voice-to-text technology? Nuance.

    I downloaded Targets new app, and I agree with iDownloadBlog, if this is how well iOS 5ís voice-to-text feature is going to work, sign me up. Itís accurate, fast, and convenient. The feature simply adds a microphone to the keyboard and when a user wants to talk and have text appear on his/her iPhone all they need to do is touch the microphone and talk.

    iOS 5 is due out soon, and the Apple leaks are giving the Interwebs a collective heart attack, but this gem found in Targetís new iOS App eases some of the worry that Nuanceís voice-to-text functionality could somehow be lackluster, or non-existent.

    If you want to try the voice-to-text feature out yourself Targetís app is free in The App Store.



    Source: iDownloadBlog

  2. #2
    iPhone? More like MyPhone VaderForce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    142
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts

    Works pretty good for with my Australian accent :-)
    =Is the quality of your life, the outcome of your own thoughts?=

  3. #3
    Thank you for sharing!



  4. #4
    Cool....it does work very well.

  5. #5
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Evansville Indiana
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Apple does need to add voice to text
    Apple needs to add flash to the iphone!!

  6. #6
    Starbucks Artist mmaboi21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Bakersfield CA.
    Posts
    2,405
    Thanks
    163
    Thanked 207 Times in 160 Posts

    Nice cover and catch Phil.
    This is a very much needed feature for iOS 5

  7. #7
    Wow. It works flawlessly in my tests. If this is what will be added with ios5, I'm stoked.

  8. #8
    FACTS:1-Nuance licenses their tech to anyone willing to buy (including Target).2-iOS5 beta is close to gold master (ready for public) and there has been no indication in the iOS5 beta keyboard that voice to text will be integrated.3-If Apple was going to use Nuance integrated in iOS5 wouldn't they purchase a license that would cover their third party app developers? Thus if this was the case they would have offered it as a feature in iOS5 beta saving third party publishers the cost.Voice to text will eventually come to iOS but I just don't see it in iOS5 beta. I don't believe the rumors at all and don't see voice to text in iOS as being anything more than another bullet point that Apple can potentially add next year when iOS6 beta comes out.

  9. #9
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    144
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts

    Works great for me too, excited for more apps to take advantage of this.

  10. #10
    Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,533
    Thanks
    162
    Thanked 136 Times in 95 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
    FACTS:1-Nuance licenses their tech to anyone willing to buy (including Target).2-iOS5 beta is close to gold master (ready for public) and there has been no indication in the iOS5 beta keyboard that voice to text will be integrated.3-If Apple was going to use Nuance integrated in iOS5 wouldn't they purchase a license that would cover their third party app developers? Thus if this was the case they would have offered it as a feature in iOS5 beta saving third party publishers the cost.Voice to text will eventually come to iOS but I just don't see it in iOS5 beta. I don't believe the rumors at all and don't see voice to text in iOS as being anything more than another bullet point that Apple can potentially add next year when iOS6 beta comes out.
    FACT: The lack of a feature in a beta or preview does not solidify it's absence in the final release.

  11. #11
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    This is one of those things that can only be judged when used. I have seen great voice to text applications (google does it right throughout their Android OS) and I have seen it implemented poorly (Apple's current voice search, even with it's limited features, doesn't work nearly as accurately for me as does Google's).

    When using my iPhone 4 this is probably the biggest feature I miss. On my EVO I almost never type out a thing when sending SMS unless it is meant to be private and I happen to have an audience at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie-Mac View Post
    FACT: The lack of a feature in a beta or preview does not solidify it's absence in the final release.
    While you are right in that it doesn't solidify anything, it does give us a strong suggestion. The point of a beta is to test features. With a feature as big as this, one would expect Apple to want anyone and everyone to give it a go so that more bugs are found before going gold rather than after.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 09-23-2011 at 03:53 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  12. #12
    Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,533
    Thanks
    162
    Thanked 136 Times in 95 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    While you are right in that it doesn't solidify anything, it does give us a strong suggestion. The point of a beta is to test features. With a feature as big as this, one would expect Apple to want anyone and everyone to give it a go so that more bugs are found before going gold rather than after.
    One would expect Apple to do a lot of things but they aren't the most orthodox company, are they?
    iLive an iLife

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryry506 View Post
    Apple does need to add voice to text
    Agreed the only area that android had or has better than iOS depending on if you believe this nuance stuff (I do) is the text to speech and pull down notifications/ notifications in general, otherwise iOS prevails.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    This is one of those things that can only be judged when used. I have seen great voice to text applications (google does it right throughout their Android OS) and I have seen it implemented poorly (Apple's current voice search, even with it's limited features, doesn't work nearly as accurately for me as does Google's).

    When using my iPhone 4 this is probably the biggest feature I miss. On my EVO I almost never type out a thing when sending SMS unless it is meant to be private and I happen to have an audience at the time.


    While you are right in that it doesn't solidify anything, it does give us a strong suggestion. The point of a beta is to test features. With a feature as big as this, one would expect Apple to want anyone and everyone to give it a go so that more bugs are found before going gold rather than after.
    Except for the fact that they don't need to test it for bugs as they didn't write the code. Nuance did and they would have quite extensive testing I would assume. Therefore they could actually get away with slipping it into the Golden Master without having had it in beta because of that fact that didn't in fact write the code.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •