+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sprint Killing Unlimited Mobile Hotspot Data Plans Ahead of Next iPhone Launch

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I enjoy your philosophy Mes lol (no sarcasm, for real!) It's true though, I secretly hope Sprint wins the fight in keeping AT&T from acquiring T-Mobile. I plan to switch
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I enjoy your philosophy Mes lol (no sarcasm, for real!) It's true though, I secretly hope Sprint wins the fight in keeping AT&T from acquiring T-Mobile. I plan to switch back to T-Mobile eventually if it ever gets the iPhone (hopefully when my VZW contract is near ending). Switching quick before the unlimited data ends for T-Mo too lol.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmacsoloist View Post
    Holy Hell, no more switching to Sprint for me! This just royally chaps my @$$. I've been bending over and taking it from AT&T paying a freaking arm and leg for 900 anytime minutes on my iphone because I use unlim text and data and can't get that with lower plans. Text and web is the only reason i have a phone and ATT charges me $130 a month for it. I was looking forward to the lower cost of sprint with 4G but not having unlimited data AND being on 4G, a 2Gb (or close) limit will be gone in no time fore me. It's starting to look like im gonna have to go buy me a Zach Morris phone or something!

P.S. Thanks for the heads up about this!
    Yeah I feel the same way... I once to pay $130 a month for my iPhone plan for unlimited text & data (grandfathered) and 900 minutes.
    But idk if you know this but AT&T now as unlimited mobile to mobile on any carrier so I switched my 900
    Minute plan from 900 to 450 a month.. Which I really don't use either since all I do is text my life away!! But yeah any who this change is saving me about $30 a month now..

You should look into it if you havnt already..

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Good point about bandwidth Mes. Realize though that T-Mobile is at HSPA+ right now with no intensions or plans to go to LTE due to the fact that they have the smallest slice of bandwidth of any US carrier and couldn't handle the throughput of real 4G if it was given to them for free. Unless the governments opens up more bandwidth T-Mobile is as far as they will ever go with technology and is better off being merged.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    I wish they did something like that in Canada, then I could get out of my 3 year contract. And not pay a min. of $3000 w/o the surplus charges that they love to impose on your account. But really. Perfect time for those people who wanna get outta the plan. If a contract was signed they cannot change what you already have if so.. I believe you have a 30 or 90 day drop out period w/o and penalty. They wont agree that check for yourself.

Found a website...
    HTML Code:
    http://smartcanucks.ca/how-to-get-out-of-a-cellphone-contract-early/
    I am not sure how things are in Canada. Here in the states, the contract you are signing is for service. You are NOT signing the contract for the features (data package, tethering package, etc.) At any given time you can remove tethering, data, texts, etc. and none of the (US) carriers is going to tell you that it's a breach of contract (because it isn't).
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Good point about bandwidth Mes. Realize though that T-Mobile is at HSPA+ right now with no intensions or plans to go to LTE due to the fact that they have the smallest slice of bandwidth of any US carrier and couldn't handle the throughput of real 4G if it was given to them for free. Unless the governments opens up more bandwidth T-Mobile is as far as they will ever go with technology and is better off being merged.
    Actual wireless spectrum is one thing. However, doesn't usable bandwidth increase with more and/or closer spaced towers?

Thanks

Spectrum and bandwidth are directly related. You can think about the amount of Spectrum you have to be 100% of your bandwidth which as you said can go up or down on an individual basis depending on signal strength and tower density. At the end of the day though the carrier with the most spectrum Hz can handle more bits and bytes through their system with a larger maximum overall bandwidth for all users combine. T-Mobile doesn't have a big enough slice of the pie to give people 44Mbs on their devices.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Mobile bandwidth to tower bandwidth is wireless. Tower bandwidth to Internet is via landline. More towers increase available mobile to tower bandwidth. More towers slices the pie into smaller chunks and increases overall mobile to tower bandwidth. Tower to Internet is unlimited. If I'm wrong ... What am I missing?

Thanks

I'm speaking strictly wireless. (phone to tower... once it hits the tower it's land line and virtually unlimited) Each phone on a carrier operates within a certain radio frequency range... AT&T, Verizon and Sprint each have a lot more spectrum range to offer their handsets. Think about 100,000 phones on AT&T each on full blown LTE all downloading at full capacity off the same tower (or sets of towers).... AT&T has more much more spectrum and thus more radio channels to route this data than T-Mobile would in the same situation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I can go for that. So we're both right.
    More spectrum increases bandwidth. More towers also increases bandwidth.
    Bandwidth :: having different meanings - spectrum .vs. user data

IE: All else being the same, within a given area more towers will support more uses at the same data rate.
    Last edited by Mes; 09-22-2011 at 03:09 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (09-22-2011)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I don't get it!!! with all of these android phones out there, these companies have no problem offering unlimiated data plans but as soon as iphone is introduced, then all bets are off.....WHY? are you telling me that android users don't surf the net as much as iphone users? very....very...strange!!!!! but I knew it!! at least Sprint aren't screwing over new customer with the bait and switch like Verizon did. I guess I'll stick with my t-mobile after all......and the iphone curse continues!!!!! in the future when the iphone hits t-mobile, you can be sure that all of that unlimited crap is going out the window. If I was an android phone user and had true unlimited data plan, I would be pissed at apple like there's no tomorrow. Iphone is truly ruining it for android users.

Thanks

Perhaps it's jailbreaking and tethering that's causing this. it's not the iPhone ruining it I think, I feel it's the data hogs

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yeaaaaa I agree. Jailbreaking make this beast fun. A stock iPhone is sooooo boring LOL

Thanks

iPhone ruining it for android users? Let's not forget that without iPhone, there would be no such thing as android...
    And yes, iOS users DO surf the web A LOT more than android users. But I agree with i.Annie, I think it is the data hogs that either get greedy, or use the iPhone as their home ISP. Not that I am completely against that, but wireless companies just can't handle the crazy amount of data that your Cable/DSL connection can. I have no issue with them limiting data.
    The iPhone is MOBILE WEB. not a personal ISP.

Thanks

Whoa there Mes, ease off the sugar lol

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

I am so sick of and frustrated with these companies... nothing like sticking it up our you know whats?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    The iPhone is MOBILE WEB. not a personal ISP.
    Thank you! Someone who understands why companies crack down on people and limit the data plans. Most data hogs (not all) with an iPhone likely tether away like there's no tomorrow. Or they watch 10 movies a day but that's another issue.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmacsoloist View Post
    Holy Hell, no more switching to Sprint for me! This just royally chaps my @$$. I've been bending over and taking it from AT&T paying a freaking arm and leg for 900 anytime minutes on my iphone because I use unlim text and data and can't get that with lower plans. Text and web is the only reason i have a phone and ATT charges me $130 a month for it. I was looking forward to the lower cost of sprint with 4G but not having unlimited data AND being on 4G, a 2Gb (or close) limit will be gone in no time fore me. It's starting to look like im gonna have to go buy me a Zach Morris phone or something!

P.S. Thanks for the heads up about this!
    Listen go to the 450 minute plan nd since you already have unlimited txt, get the unlimited text with mobile to any mobile which is the same 20 you payin nd your bill should be lower. You dont need the A-list with mobile to any mobile. Im payin 89 with 450 minutes, unlimited internet and txt with mobile to amy mobile.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    I am so sick of and frustrated with these companies... nothing like sticking it up our you know whats?
    I'm telling you it's the data hogs' faults! If they weren't using 20-30GB a month, we (the lesser users who might need more than 2GB but less than 10) wouldn't get screwed this way.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Perhaps it's jailbreaking and tethering that's causing this. it's not the iPhone ruining it I think, I feel it's the data hogs
    well!! android users can be data hogs. Why does it only apply to iphone's

android phones can be jailbroken called rooting. They can tether as well.

it doesn't make any sense!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Loko914 View Post
    Listen go to the 450 minute plan nd since you already have unlimited txt, get the unlimited text with mobile to any mobile which is the same 20 you payin nd your bill should be lower. You dont need the A-list with mobile to any mobile. Im payin 89 with 450 minutes, unlimited internet and txt with mobile to amy mobile.
    Wow that's kind of expensive IMO. I pay $70 a line for unlimited data, 700 minutes, but no text. I use textfree which has worked just fine for me for two years and going. Essentially you're paying $20 more than me for unlimited text, in a sense and you have less minutes. AT&T looks like they have kind of high rates...

Quote Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
    well!! android users can be data hogs. Why does it only apply to iphone's

android phones can be jailbroken called rooting. They can tether as well.

it doesn't make any sense!
    Lol I don't know. Maybe Android users are less aware of rooting and the ability to tether w/o adding the tethering plan. Maybe more iPhone users are prone to discover jb than Android users are to rooting.

Just my theory. It's silly how each company just completely starts killing services and plans upon the arrival of the iPhone lol.