Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Walllet Launch Sparks Talk of iPhone 5 NFC Implementation

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Google Walllet Launch Sparks Talk of iPhone 5 NFC Implementation

Long in the works, Google has formally raised the curtain on its Google Wallet service. While the service is only available at the moment for users of the Sprint Nexus S 4G phone, the app is considered to represent a gigantic leap forward in the use of Near Field Communications (NFC) technology in smartphones for the purpose of engaging in mobile payments.

If you're unfamiliar, NFC allows mobile customers pay for items in brick-and-mortar retail shops and businesses by simply waving or tapping their device on a vender's PayPass reader - an increasingly commonplace fixture across the US at a wide variety of business establishments.

Incredibly, however, the launch of Google Walllet has left some people talking more about Apple than Google. Given Google's launch of its new mobile payment service just weeks before Apple is expected to drop the iPhone 5 (although one was apparently already dropped inside of another California bar recently), some are wondering if Google knows something that we don't - specifically, that the 5th generation iPhone will sport NFC technology.

Since the middle of summer, almost all talk of NFC coming to the new iPhone simmered down, quickly erasing speculation that the mobile payment technology will find a home in Apple's slate of mobile devices before year's end. Could Apple have managed to sneak NFC under the radar as the new iPhone is prepared? Absolutely. And if so, Google Wallet will soon have its hands full in dealing with competition from a major NFC-ready smartphone.

Source: PCWorld

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

What does Google launching a mobile payment service on a completely different phone have to do with rumors that Apple may or may not have NFC in their phone?

And I dont really hear anybody talking about this technology recently. Everybody seems to be more concerned with what the next iPhone will look like.

We don't even have a confirmed date for the iPhone 5 launch so I don't see how this can imply that Google may "know something" unless they're working hand-in-hand with Apple.....which probably would have been leaked by now.

This service is only minimally available and so far launched on one device. I highly doubt Apple is implementing this technology so soon.

And what is the point of this service anyway? Even the article itself states that it doesn't necessarily make the transaction itself any quicker.

So...no Google's launch of this service is not bringing more attention to Apple in regards to the subject.
    Last edited by RICO_; 09-20-2011 at 11:11 AM.

Highly doubted. One could only wish. Lol.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

If this is the same technology that some credit cards have (they have the little wifi bars on the back and you can just pass it over a compatible card machine) i dont want it in my damn phone! I saw a show not too long ago where a guy had a device and he was just walking through the mall stealing peoples credit card information and then telling them about it to prove that it can be done. I really dont want my information taken by some criminal just walking down the street.....

How Crooks Are Stealing Credit Card Information - YouTube
    Last edited by vantheman169; 09-20-2011 at 11:34 AM.

I know that there's some major concerns with the NFC technologies with your financial information at risk of theft. Many credit/debit and check card vendors have stopped distributing a similar technology that is not quite like NFC in light of recent allegations including the man walking around with the a machine to capture that information from unsuspecting people. NFC is different in that it is a service that is activated by the holder before being wirelessly authorized.

While I still wouldn't want all of my financial information stored with Apple's or Google's Cloud services or the need for NFC technology, it is still many times more secure then previous versions or iterations.

@RICO There are actually 2 devices with NFC. The Samsung Nexus S and the Samsung Galaxy S II.But I agree with you. I don't see how Google Wallet some how got linked to Apple getting NFC in the next iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post

Long in the works, Google has formally raised the curtain on its Google Wallet service. While the service is only available at the moment for users of the Sprint Nexus S 4G phone, the app is considered to represent a gigantic leap forward in the use of Near Field Communications (NFC) technology in smartphones for the purpose of engaging in mobile payments.

If you're unfamiliar, NFC allows mobile customers pay for items in brick-and-mortar retail shops and businesses by simply waving or tapping their device on a vender's PayPass reader - an increasingly commonplace fixture across the US at a wide variety of business establishments.

Incredibly, however, the launch of Google Walllet has left some people talking more about Apple than Google. Given Google's launch of its new mobile payment service just weeks before Apple is expected to drop the iPhone 5 (although one was apparently already dropped inside of another California bar recently), some are wondering if Google knows something that we don't - specifically, that the 5th generation iPhone will sport NFC technology.

Since the middle of summer, almost all talk of NFC coming to the new iPhone simmered down, quickly erasing speculation that the mobile payment technology will find a home in Apple's slate of mobile devices before year's end. Could Apple have managed to sneak NFC under the radar as the new iPhone is prepared? Absolutely. And if so, Google Wallet will soon have its hands full in dealing with competition from a major NFC-ready smartphone.

Source: PCWorld
    Am I the only one that realizes that "Wallet" in the title is misspelled?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ericwall View Post
    Am I the only one that realizes that "Wallet" in the title is misspelled?
    It's also misspellllllllled the exact same way in the 3rd paragraph.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

i bought a bunch of NFC/RFID blocking sleeves (eBay) right after i watched that video...$6 for like 5 sleeves. not 100% protection but better than nothing i guess.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    That rico guy complains on every single post lol

Just ignore him, not everyone is perfect like....

Quote Originally Posted by myhargalan View Post
    Hey really does, I come to this site almost everyday for the past six months and almost every single front page post _RICO is complaining about something, and most of it is anti-Apple. He's probably just a bitter person with no friends so he trolls forums.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by myhargalan View Post
    No I just present an objective point of view that (believe it or not) some people do agree with me on. If that offends your delicate senses.....too bad! I simply say the things that other people might not want to say because of people that tear them apart for saying anything anti-Apple.

I was a big Apple fan, but Apple's shenanigans with the iPhone 4 issues and sub-par software updates and poor customer service at their retail stores put me in a foul mood with them for the time being. I'm looking forward and expecting good things from the iPhone 5....and I do plan on purchasing it if it's not a let-down. Hopefully Apple won't disappoint.

And despite what you may think....many MANY people on this site share a negative point of view toward the way Apple operates and have a realistic point of view instead of foolishly thinking that all that glitters is gold with Apple.
    Last edited by RICO_; 09-21-2011 at 07:42 AM.