+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bentley Concept is the Swiss Army Knife of iDevice Ready Vehicles

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Bentley showed Apple some love, and in a big way. The company debuted a concept of their flagship Mulsanne luxury vehicle at the Frankfurt Motor Show that integrates two iPads,
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Bentley Concept is the Swiss Army Knife of iDevice Ready Vehicles

Bentley showed Apple some love, and in a big way. The company debuted a concept of their flagship Mulsanne luxury vehicle at the Frankfurt Motor Show that integrates two iPads, two Apple wireless keyboards, one Mac Mini and an iPod Touch into the car.

“Many customers use their time in the Mulsanne to keep on top of their business commitments or simply take a few moments to relax. This fully functioning concept highlights the Mulsanne’s potential to help busy executives to communicate effectively and quickly whilst traveling.” - Alasdair Stewart of Bentley

The pictures Bentley released show an impeccably designed interior attempting to fuse the futuristic looking Apple technology with the old-world polish Bentley is so known for. Each backseat passenger gets their own iPad workstation complete with a wireless keyboard that folds away nicely via a retractable workstation. Also, a 15.6" HD display drops down from the roof console and is connected to a Mac Mini that acts as a media center and syncing hub for the two iPads as well. The iPod Touch in front acts as a control panel for the entertainment system in the rear, the audio system, and as the Mac Mini's Media Centre.

The entire cabin interior took Bentley's craftsmen 170 hours to hand-craft. The vehicle is still only a concept, and pricing will most likely be out of the this world, but for the minority of Apple-loving, luxury-seeking individuals out there, this might be their holy grail. For the rest of us, it's just a bunch of pictures exemplifying the excess that is rampant in the upperclass (very, very upper class. Like all white uniform, polo-playing upperclass).

Source: How-Do
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 09-13-2011 at 12:46 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Meh.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

i dunno...i find it stupid to design a car around a mp3 player and tablet, unless of course Steve was gonna buy it.

those items could easily be integrated into existing cars. If i were to but a computer in a car of this caliber, I'd have a full size workstation and 32" monitor at least. Probably make it so a full sized keyboard could be used comfortably so i would not look like Quasimodo while using it.
    60% of the time, it works every time.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ehh

MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Madman604x View Post
    i dunno...i find it stupid to design a car around a mp3 player and tablet, unless of course Steve was gonna buy it.

those items could easily be integrated into existing cars. If i were to but a computer in a car of this caliber, I'd have a full size workstation and 32" monitor at least. Probably make it so a full sized keyboard could be used comfortably so i would not look like Quasimodo while using it.
    I have a couple friends who customize cars a la "Pimp My Ride" and West Coast Customs, and they do some amazing things. However, it'd damn difficult to fit a 32" monitor or 27" iMac (like I've asked them about) in a luxury sedan, even one as large as as the Muslanne. Unless it's housed in the trunk.

Thanks

well i think this is just ******* awesome. i doubt itll ever make it out of the concept stage, but ive always daydreamed about a car like this and its cool to see it be done.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 5,672 Posts

So cool, I love it. Would like to see similar systems available for all cars.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Is it just me or is this almost EXACTLY like the Brabus iBusiness Mercedes S-Class? Who is copying who here? (Either way, GO APPLE!)

BENTLEYBENZ

Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 884 Posts

Hmm looks nice. Think I'll buy 6.

Thanks

Are they going to do Red label and Green label versions? In a Red label you really want to be in the drivers seat...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post
    Is it just me or is this almost EXACTLY like the Brabus iBusiness Mercedes S-Class? Who is copying who here? (Either way, GO APPLE!)

BENTLEYBENZ
    I feel a lawsuit coming on lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

BENTLEYBENZ
    Maybe. But car companies aren't so anal about patent infringements as consumer electronic companies :')

Thanks

oh wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there is nothing more to say...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Madman604x View Post

Excess? Yes. Stupid choices? Hmm, to quote Michael, you're just ******

And unobservant.

Large LCD? Check.
    Workstation? Check.
    Multiple interfaces and monitors and unique user specific systems? Check.
    Expertly crafted to not detract from the functionality and ascetics of the car (like your bigscreen in the dash and keyboard would do)? Check.
    Keyboards for each personal computer? Check.

Bad ***? Check.
    Last edited by Mes; 09-13-2011 at 09:32 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone <(O)> Device's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hit or miss? Yup definitely a miss.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkenstein909 View Post
    well i think this is just ******* awesome. i doubt itll ever make it out of the concept stage, but ive always daydreamed about a car like this and its cool to see it be done.
    I'm sure it will eventually come out of the concept stage. My dad has a bentley, and there are some absurd options for it, like a custom car scent...

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

just my opinion, but i'd build the car around me. Integration and finish can be done later. why put stuff in a car that you cant comfortably use? granted a bently isnt my # 1 choice for utility. Comfort, yes. so if you want to use the workstation and keyboard it looks like you have to be far enough back so it doesnt hit your knees on the way up. so either the guy in front has to scoot all the way up when it folds out and then scoot back just so the user can touch the keyboard. look at the sheer distance between the back of the seat and the keyboard. as for copying each other, there's only so many areas to instal items in a car. its pretty well standard layout for locating stuff even in the aftermarket world. but its a concept car. just showcasing neat ideas, however impractical.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Lawsuit over what? Manufacturers have been putting screens in the middle of the roof and in the back of headrests since the late 90s. Neither Mercedes nor Bentley were the first to design their cars like this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone syedsufyan's Avatar
    Thanks

BENTLEYBENZ
    Yeah, I noticed exactly the same thing. I barely noticed any major difference.

Thanks

BENTLEYBENZ
    DAAAMNNNN, Nice call on that one... But I have to say, either way I will take one!!