+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Create Photo Icons on SpringBoard with SBPhoto

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
No matter what it is; your car, girlfriend, wife, family, dog, etc., everyone has photos on their iDevices that they love showing off. It's just a part of life -
    Thanks

Default Create Photo Icons on SpringBoard with SBPhoto

No matter what it is; your car, girlfriend, wife, family, dog, etc., everyone has photos on their iDevices that they love showing off. It's just a part of life - you're proud of whatever the picture is of and you want to show it to your friends at any time or occasion. However, when you have a ton of photos in your Camera Roll or Photo Library, it can be difficult to sift through all your photos until you find the right one to show. SBPhoto gives you an alternative option: create photo icons on your SpringBoard for particular photos in the Photos.app so you can have easy access to them on your SpringBoard.

Upon installing SBPhoto, a icon for SBPhoto appears on your SpringBoard. When you tap that icon, it brings you to setting up a photo icon. Within the application, there is a three step process along with a few buttons for various components of the application. The process is explained below:

• Select Photo - Tapping this button brings you to your photos and allows you to choose which picture you want.
    • Icon Caption - Type whatever you want in this section. What you put in here will be displayed on the SpringBoard as the label.
    • Create Photo Icon - After tapping this button, a confirmation window comes up asking if you indeed want to create the icon. If you tap yes, the icon will be created on your SpringBoard.

At the bottom of the application, the three buttons do the following:

• Question Mark - Tapping this button brings up a Help window that explains what to do on each step.
    • "I" Button - This brings up a window that shows some copyright information, a support email and website, and a button to direct you to more applications made by the developer.
    • Trash Can - Tapping this button brings up a window asking if you want to delete all photo icons on your SpringBoard at one time. An alternate method is just putting your device in wiggle mode on the SpringBoard and deleting icons individually.

After creating the icon, it will be available on the SpringBoard for you to click. When you tap the icon for whichever picture you select, it will bring up the photo for you to view. Simple as that.

If you find this application useful, give it a shot and post your thoughts. It's available on Cydia now for $0.99 and is compatible on devices 4.0+ with Location Services (tested on iOS 5 beta 7 - not all of the features work. Don't bother installing on iOS 5 at this time).

Name: SBPhoto
    Author: dnederlof
    Version: 1.0
    Price: $0.99

Note: SBPhoto uses Apple's Asset Library which requires that Location Services to be enabled as well as specifically for the SBPhotoUtility application. A way to enable to Location Services for SBPhoto is to do the following:

Go to Settings>Location Services. From there, enable the application. The Location Services tab is also a good indication of whether the application is compatible with your device or iOS version. If you don't have a Location Services tab in Settings, do not buy. It will not work.

In the process of reviewing this application, I spoke with the developer, Dennis Nederlof, and asked him a few questions about his work with SBPhoto:

JOSH: What gave you the idea to create SBPhoto? How long did it take for you to create?
    DENNIS I got the idea for SBPhoto, by reading the bulletin boards that have iPhone questions. I saw the question often that referred to putting photo links on the Springboard. I had already developed iBlank and SBPhotoDial, so I had the icon creation part down. It was only a matter of figuring out how to link to a photo without actually copying it to my app.

JOSH: What was the most difficult part about creating SBPhoto (if any)?
    DENNIS The hardest part of developing SBPhoto was the linking to the photos. It was not so easy to get a link to a photo and then loading it later without actually copying it to my app. Apple, of course, tries to protect the photo album as much as possible. It required me to make my own photo viewer, which is what the photo comes up in.

JOSH: Do you have any planned future updates or incorporations you are looking to put into SBPhoto?
    DENNIS I am planning some updates, depending on what requests I get. I am planning on fully supporting the iPad, and adding the "shine" effect to the icons on the Springboard.

JOSH: Are you working on any other projects that you are willing to speak about?
    DENNIS I am planning on making a new version of my app: iSpringPlay, which allows you to launch a playlist directly from the Springboard. I will be adding the ability to create custom icons. I am also planning to create an app that will let you put videos on the Springboard.

JOSH: What other applications have you created (Cydia or App Store) and what do they do?
    DENNIS Some other apps I have created on Cydia are:

iBlank (free) - the first app to create blank icons. I have had almost 6
    million downloads of this app. It is pretty popular for people who use
    themes.

SbPhotoDial (free) - app to create photo speed dial icons on the
    Springboard.

iSpringPlay (free) - needs update - app to start a music playlist playing
    instantly form a Springboard icon.

As you can see, my area seems to revolve around adding ability to the
    Springboard. I will continue looking for ways to add more things to the
    Springboard. I also have some apps on the regular App Store, and am doing
    some custom contract app work.

My day job is an IT consultant (my own business) for PC and MACs, which I
    have been doing for almost 25 years now.

Source(s): Dennis Nederlof
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 09-13-2011 at 08:00 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

More live action = in use please - don't care about in app messages.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How about creating an app that allows you to replace springboard icons with photos from your library? I'd buy that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post
    More live action = in use please - don't care about in app messages.
    I'm confused by what you mean? There's not much to it - I took pictures that best represented the entire experience.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I agree letting you swap app icons with pics would be neat, also does it allow you to create an icon that opens multiple photos that can be scrolled through.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robbpell View Post
    I agree letting you swap app icons with pics would be neat, also does it allow you to create an icon that opens multiple photos that can be scrolled through.
    Not at this current time but I'm sure he's looked into it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

what's new project' i wanna know i bet it's awesome

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I like this app. Can we customize it according to our requirements or can we make some new icons as per our choice and then use it in our device.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Mike Flat

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Yeah
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Tucker View Post
    I'm confused by what you mean? There's not much to it - I took pictures that best represented the entire experience.
    I just realized that..... _ Does anything happen when you actually click on the photos?

Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 Classified SLI
    1200watt Antec PSU
    Haf X
    EVGA P67 FTW
    Corsair H80
    Corsair Vengeance 16gig 8-8-8-24
    Sony Optiarc 24x

Thanks

I dont get it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post
    I just realized that..... _ Does anything happen when you actually click on the photos?
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Tucker;
    When you tap the icon for whichever picture you select, it will bring up the photo for you to view. Simple as that.
    Just as the article states.

Quote Originally Posted by marnix1991 View Post
    what's new project' i wanna know i bet it's awesome
    Everyone must have their secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeflat View Post
    I like this app. Can we customize it according to our requirements or can we make some new icons as per our choice and then use it in our device.
    Not sure what you are asking? I think you may need to be more specific.

iPhone? More like MyPhone <(O)> Device's Avatar
    Thanks
    Interesting.

Thanks

eh don't really care to litter up my SB with individual photo "shortcuts".

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 838 Posts

As an artist that keeps a lot of artwork in the photos app, I may use this to create a folder with just my artwork in it. Question: Does this load/ open the photos app, or does SBPhoto have its own picture viewer?

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeflat View Post
    Yes.
    iLive an iLife