+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Analyst Says 'No Discernible Difference' Between iPhone 4 and iPhone 5

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Although there is nothing shocking about Monday's report from Concord Securities Ming-Chi Kuo who says Apple's iPhone 5 is going to ship shortly after the golden master of iOS 5
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Analyst Says 'No Discernible Difference' Between iPhone 4 and iPhone 5

Although there is nothing shocking about Monday's report from Concord Securities Ming-Chi Kuo who says Apple's iPhone 5 is going to ship shortly after the golden master of iOS 5 reaches assemblers later this month, perhaps the most interesting morsel of information presented in Kuo's research note to investors is the consistent claim that the iPhone 5 will be virtually identical to the iPhone 4.

It's an assertion we've heard time and again. Despite the rumors and rumblings about an expanded display and other framework design tweaks, Kuo says there will be "no discernible difference" between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5. Kuo's argument today is resurrecting previous suspicions that Apple may call the fifth generation iPhone the "iPhone 4S."

Kuo joins a long list of analysts who contend that you can't judge a book by its cover when it comes to the iPhone 5. That is, while the outward appearance may be nothing new or worth writing home about, the "guts" are going to pack the wow-factor. According to Kuo, the iPhone 5 will deliver 512 MB of RAM, the iPad 2's A5 chip, 3.5-inch display, iPhone 4-comparable camera module height, and a glass front and back.

Kuo, however, says Apple has taken great care to modify its antenna design. Apple is clearly hoping to avoid a repeat of that which we all remember: the "death grip" phenomenon of the iPhone 4. Still, despite suspected but unspecified modifications to the antenna, there is expected to be no visible difference between next and previous generation models of the handset.

Source: Apple Insider

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

The wow factor is what I need. Or a new iPhone 4 since I have dropped my current one at least 50 times I need a new phone. Hope its a bit thinner but will be content with the same design as long as it packs some serious power. (I must say I am no gamer well words with friends but thats about it...so the screen size is meh to me. I am happy with the current. Just my pref guys.) But more speed and some cool new tweaks and innovation with soft would be welcomed.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

That kinda sucks... Especially after seeing all the rumors & photos hinting at a redesign... I assumed that with all of the controversy & bad press Apple got from last year's "antennagate" they would scrap that design and give us something new & improved... BUZZZZ!!!! wrong!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

This breaks my heart. I really hope there is an iPhone 5 with a metal back, thinner, and larger screen. The iPhone 4 design feels too blocky and somewhat uncomfortable to hold. I really hope he is talking about a release of an iPhone 4S, and there will also be a release alongside the 4S of a re-designed iPhone 5. *Crossing Fingers!*

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tucnepo's Avatar
    Thanks

Then im sticking with my iphone4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tucnepo For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (09-12-2011)

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

I will believe it when I see it. I have seen so many rumors and analysts be wrong and so many different conflicting "Stories" or "rumoros" that i really dont know what to believe anymore. All i know is i hope its a revamp of the whole design, hopefully a bit bigger screen and loaded with better specs.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I find this hard to believe, to be honest. Those internals aren't really wow-ing anyone. I think we all knew it would have the A5. To have the other specs the same would be pretty meh. Considering how often new Android phones come out with improving components, Apple needs to have each iPhone fully loaded to last a year.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

they did the same thing with the iphone 3g to 3gs same design just that the 3gs had betta specs With all these rumors and speculation of a new redesign i will actually not be surprised if the form factor is the same as the iphone 4 except maybe a bigger screen and betta specs. But if the phone does look the same and ppl buy it i will shove it in their faces because i will get the iphone 6 the one that is getting the redesign most likely and tell them u are dumb for not waiting to get the redesigned better spec iphone 6

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

^^^lol people will get this iPhone "4s" or "5" no matter what, and they will get the iPhone 6. If people want to upgrade every year or every time a new iPhone is released, i think they should be able to do that without being called "dumb". justsaying.

Also there are a lot of people who did not upgrade to the iPhone 4 and still have their 3G or 3GS and an iPhone 4S or whatever it will be will be a very nice upgrade for those users. Just because you don't need an upgrade, does not mean that other people dont.
    Last edited by vantheman169; 09-12-2011 at 09:51 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to vantheman169 For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (09-12-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

News Flash; some Chinese guy no one has ever heard of says the iPhone 5 will be the same as the iPhone 4 without ever seeing it. In other news; some Chinese guy gets a large sum of money from Google for unspecified reasons.

Thanks
    well i am not buying it. I dont think it took Apple 1 year and 2 months to install an A5 in an iPhone 4 and call it 4S, they would have released in June.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 722 Posts

Yeah you guys gotta chill out. Who actually said there was gonna be a difference. You guys gotta stop believing everything you hear. If it's a regular 4S and not a 5 then don't be mad at apple. Be mad at yourself

Green Apple
    Thanks

Apple's iPhone business model based on 4 generations of iPhone releases is an early Summer release.

The question is "Why is this year different?"

Steve Job's health, changing business model, poor economic response, major earthquake/ tsunami, iOS 5, etc...

I would contend the extended delay is because there is a fundamental difference in this year's model. Did the antenna take a year to fix? Did Apple create two iPhones instead of one? Was there a fundamental design flaw with the new model which caused the delay? Of course time will tell, but I have no stock in analysts who tell me to expect no fundamental differences except for internal parts which Apple already implements in other iOS devices.

Apple's claim is not to do things first, but to do it better than those before them. I doubt we will see NFC technology, but I am hard pressed to believe we won't see a form change and/or 4G technology.
    Last edited by STM127; 09-12-2011 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Formatting

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

I will be getting the new one I just haven't decided if I want to buy it outright and save my upgrade for next year or use my upgrade this year and buy it out right next year.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Time to spend my money on something else. Don't need a speed boost and a camera mp bump. The iPhone 4 is plenty sufficient in those categories.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

If the iPhone 5 or 4S comes with 512 ram that's a deal breaker for me. IP4 crashed countless number of times due to low memory, figured apple would learn and improve from mistakes.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well i will get the 5 since breaking my 4 earlier this month but am happier to hear it might keep the 4 shape much prefer this

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    ^^^lol people will get this iPhone "4s" or "5" no matter what, and they will get the iPhone 6. If people want to upgrade every year or every time a new iPhone is released, i think they should be able to do that without being called "dumb". justsaying.

Also there are a lot of people who did not upgrade to the iPhone 4 and still have their 3G or 3GS and an iPhone 4S or whatever it will be will be a very nice upgrade for those users. Just because you don't need an upgrade, does not mean that other people dont.
    sry i didnt mean to call anyone dumb the 3gs users deserve this upgrade more than the ones with the iphone 4 if this phone looks the same the ppl with the 3gs should get it not the iphone 4 ones because heres the logic why would u buy something that looks exactly the same except with betta specs l mean come on really thats like buying a 2008 accord then buying a 2009 accord with minor upgrades like wow thats such a waste of money i mean u can buy if u guys want but at the end its really a big waste of money If the next iphone looks different on the other hand and has betta specs then i would definately get it but we wont know for sure until it comes out until then i am going to skip this phone and go for the iphone 6 the one with the most likely redesign if this iphone coming out looks the same

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swehbe View Post
    well i am not buying it. I dont think it took Apple 1 year and 2 months to install an A5 in an iPhone 4 and call it 4S, they would have released in June.
    VERY good point!

I believe that there will be two versions of the iPhone released. One version will be an upgraded iPhone 4, the other will be the iPhone 5. This does two things: creates a lower entry price for a new iPhone (Maybe $200 on-contract for the 4s, $300 for iPhone 5?), and also keeps the rumor mill second-guessing itself.

"It's the same!"
    "No, it's a redesign!"
    "It's slightly different!"
    "It's slightly redisigned!"

And on and on. Then, when someone actually stands up on a stage and reveals it; viola! It's a surprise either way!

This guessing game also keeps people buying the current generation. If there are rumors it's simply an upgrade then it gives people an incentive, or justification, for going out and buying an iPhone right NOW.

It is not rocket science that Apple wants to keep people guessing. It kinda makes you wonder how many Apple employees come to this site and others simply to confuse the issue. Confusion is directly beneficial to Apple.

It's either this or they simply packaged the iPhone 5 guts and screen onto an iPhone 4 body, just to throw people off. The real design could just be kept top secret until the last moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Yeah you guys gotta chill out. Who actually said there was gonna be a difference. You guys gotta stop believing everything you hear. If it's a regular 4S and not a 5 then don't be mad at apple. Be mad at yourself
    It's not a bad thing that consumers want an improved product. And there's nothing wrong with speculating about the future. Thinking about the future does not automatically make you a loathsome person that is never satisfied - most of the time it's just a fun mental exercise in trend-spotting. Understanding the way the wind is blowing is a sign of intelligence. Some people do not think clearly and cannot recognize patterns, and then their preconceptions entwine with their muddled observations to create doubt and uncertainty.

One can be smart without being cynical or self-loathing.
    Last edited by Jahooba; 09-12-2011 at 12:58 PM.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    ....It is not rocket science that Apple wants to keep people guessing.....
    Marketing 101. Free advertising