+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sprint to Offer Unlimited iPhone Data Plans This October

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Sprint to Offer Unlimited iPhone Data Plans This October

So how will Sprint compete against AT&T and Verizon as it joins the iPhone family this fall? According to a report this morning from Bloomberg, it will deliver something new iPhone owners can't get elsewhere in the US today: an unlimited data plan.

All but officially confirmed that the third-largest U.S. wireless carrier will get the iPhone 5 next month, sources close to the carrier say Sprint will become the only US operator to offer the device with unlimited data service for a flat fee.

Sprint has been using the iPhone’s launch as retention tool with its executives, as it expects the addition of the device to boost its stock price, said one person familiar with the situation. Sprint fell 8 cents to $3.37 at 9:46 a.m. on the New York Stock Exchange, and had declined 18 percent this year before today.
    The addition of the iPhone to Sprint’s lineup will not only help it win customers, but the addition of a real unlimited data plan could be a game changer.

According to Matthew Thornton, an analyst at Avian Securities LLC, “It’s a competitive disadvantage if your two larger competitors have the iPhone and you don’t. Getting the iPhone closes that gap.” But even more, offing the iPhone with unlimited data could steal many, many customers away from AT&T and Verizon.

“The advantage of unlimited is, it’s cheaper for the big users,” Peter Rhamey, an analyst at Bank of Montreal, tells Bloomberg. "The plans may draw other customers because people don’t like bill shock. Consumers will pay a premium for unlimited.”

To read the full report from Bloomberg, click here.

Source: Bloomberg

Thanks
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,923 Posts

Wonder if Sprint is gonna pull the unlimited data for smartphone users a few months after the iPhone's release. Like Verizon did.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Basic supply and demand. When demand is high and supply is low, prices rise.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I have never used Sprint but can't be worse then the 4 or 5 calls a day that I drop on AT$T. Yeah I do travel a lot through out the northeast but I am amazed how many call I drop a day. Can you imagine if your TV went out as often. We just dial the number again and hope for the best.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Yea yea yea same story new provider, when they get hit like AT&T then Verizon they will change it.

Thanks

They use it to attract customers then it'll change.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1shuttle1 View Post
    I have never used Sprint but can't be worse then the 4 or 5 calls a day that I drop on AT$T. Yeah I do travel a lot through out the northeast but I am amazed how many call I drop a day. Can you imagine if your TV went out as often. We just dial the number again and hope for the best.

I live in SECT and have only dropped like 2/3 calls in 3 years with ATT.

I tried sprint for 2 weeks and had more dropped calls those few weeks than I did w/ ATT and Verizon in 7 years total.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Once they realize how much data an iphone users uses.. they will change their tune lol..

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, its too bad that you just unlimited data on sprints horrible 3G network.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Here is what I learned about phones and plans in my 19 years of living.

1. Theres ALWAYS a scam, my cousin has a unlimited voice plan with T-Mobile and they shut off his service for "going over the limit" not even WEB or TEXTING. TALKING OMG

2. They will take EVERY penny they can, how can my cellphone bill be 100$ 1 month then $379.73 the next? (this was on a LG Rumor, Didn't have web and rarely texted)

3. Prepaid is BEAST. Why? cause there is NO WAY THEY CAN SCAM YOU. Contract phones "Allow" you to go over everything because they'll get extra cash from everyone.

With prepaid they literally stop your minutes/web/texting.I have a iPhone 4 on T-Mobiles $49.99 plan, It works. I get EVERYTHING unlimited. (Yes there's only 2 GB of 4G/3G on a capable device with the $69.99 plan BUT your getting the same **** with At&t right?) and I would rather have EDGE then pay 120$+ a month.

It saves me money and it WORKS, I haven't called a phone company in YEARS to argue about why they shut my phone off.

Hopefully the i5 will work on T-Mobiles 3g and I will be extremely happy!
    Last edited by DJ NiveK; 09-09-2011 at 11:03 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

^i feel ya bro, I am on iWireless (a T-mobile affiliate) and do the megatalk prepaid for 2 phones for unlimited talk, text, and web for 114 dollars a month! I was paying like 165 or 170 for a family shared plan on At&t with just texting and unlimited data and 700 Minutes. I do miss my 3G at times especially since i cant really tether anymore cuz iWireless edge is retarded slow. But 99% of the time i have wifi when i am at home and when i am at school so. I really dont need 3G. But 57 dollars per phone cant be beat. Hopefully they come out with a T-mobile version of the iPhone 5 so i can finally have my 3G speeds back!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,923 Posts

If Sprint keeps up w/ unlimited data in a year and a half when my VZW contract expires, I'm switching lol.

My (unlimited) data coverage with Verizon in my area is very spotty and 3G is pretty darn slow for me. AT&T gave me better 3G speeds and coverage but no unlimited data.

I'm hoping I can have better 3G speeds with Sprint (of course it will not match GSM) than VZW and unlimited data

But then again what if iPhones then get 4G capabilities... So many options lol

Thanks
    Thanked 5,447 Times in 2,686 Posts

May go try sprint lol

Thanks

If they weren't on that crappy CDMA I might consider switching. But I like using data and voice simultaneously. Plus the three times faster connection I get with GSM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SwatPac's Avatar
    Thanks

iPhone's have ruined unlimited data plans for androids around the country. I'm sorry Mr.Android, only 2gb for you this month. Maybe one day there will be a giant free wifi network covering the United States. Then we won't have to worry about carriers raping us with horrible data plans. That is the world I one day hope to live in.God bless America "land of the brave, and home of the free Wifi"

Green Apple
    Thanks

I hope they intend to keep this for a while. It's the main reason I'm planning to sign up with Sprint when I get the iPhone 5.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

AT&T just took away my unlimited. You bet I'm moving to sprint! Good news!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SwatPac View Post
    . Maybe one day there will be a giant free wifi network covering the United States. Then we won't have to worry about carriers raping us with horrible data plans. That is the world I one day hope to live in.God bless America "land of the brave, and home of the free Wifi"
    Then the carriers will just double the rates for the minutes portion of the plan to make up the difference.

In the end they will always find a way to screw the customer over. Welcome to Corporate America! God Bless 'em right?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Italia411's Avatar
    Thanks

I never had a issue with my 3GS on Att, it was great. It was only when I switched to the iPhone 4 dropped calls started. I lost half of my pictures through a backup and restore(half were grey boxes that say jpg).The web pages and apps get hung up and keep loading. My home button randomly stops working. It gets real hot sometimes and I'm not tethering. My proximity sensor is fine unless I'm on the phone(then the screen goes black before I have a chance to multi task) Not to mention voice and data simultaneously is horrible even when I'm on wifi. Im sure their is more i forgot to mention. I blame the i4 for these issues not Att. This is why I'm excited for the i5. If I have any of these issues with the i5 I can't see me switching carriers only phones . I have wifi at home and never go over 2gb a month on my unlimited plan. Sprint is not a option because their coverage is awful were I live. Sprint will change their data plan when some guy in a suit up in his corporate office gets a call saying "sir our network can't handle this device". Its only a matter of time before their network is so congested from iPhone users like the two superior networks were. Btw, I don't have any issues with my iPad 2 or my MacBook.

formerly known as Method2001 TheGrandFinale2001's Avatar
    Thanks

Well lets see how the iPhone will affect them. So far no matter where the iPhone lands the unlimited plan is on it's hit list lol.