Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Find My iPhone Helps Locate Chilean Plane Crash Site

Default Find My iPhone Helps Locate Chilean Plane Crash Site

Last week a Chilean Military plane crashed somewhere off the Island of Robinson Crusoe. The plane attempted to make two emergency landings before being blown off course and crashing. All 21 people on board were killed instantly.

Four bodies were recovered by authorities shortly after the accident, but 17 of the victims remain unaccounted for. While a great deal of extremely expensive equipment is being used to search for and locate the remaining victims, an unlikely piece of tech has helped the recovery effort. Relatives of one of the victims logged into Find My iPhone and were able to located the last known coordinates of one of the passengers iPhones, and subsequently the location of the plane just before it crashed.

The information has been given to the Chilean Navy who is using the coordinates to help locate the fuselage of the plane, and hopefully the rest of the victims. A 9to5Mac reader was able to translate the letter 9to5Mac received from an acquaintance of one of the family members who tracked the iPhone.

Rear Admiral Francisco García-Huidobro explained the founding that
    garnered a lot of attention today, and it has to do with an iPhone belonging to
    one of the victims of the aereal accident in Juan Fernández, in a beach
    in Bahía Carvajal.

The phone signal could be captured thanks to the GPS system, however, water
    ended up shutting it down. Nevertheless, García Huidoro explained that they
    managed to plot the last position from where the signal was last generated, which
    will be made public tomorrow.

Navy Special Forces are expected to go down to the ocean floor and recover the
    device on the fifth day of the search. The iPhone is expected to be near the place
    where a wheel from the crashed plane was found on Friday.
    Source: 9to5Mac

Thanks

That is so awesome!

i'm speechless...

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

+1 for apple

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

I guess thats the only way to make something good of a very bad situation. Maybe if they said.. they landed the plane with Flight Control HD, then that would be an amazing story. But good thinking by the family. Here are these high tech monster machines that can carry us across the world being tracked every min, yet they a $700 iPhone to locate the plane.

iPhone? More like MyPhone djarkiz's Avatar
    Thanks

Amazing, I've been using that app and wondered if it's useful ..... NOW I KNOW, keeping it on all the time

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

The people that come up missing all of the time should use something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandale View Post
    That is so awesome!
    Not so much this, but

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    I guess thats the only way to make something good of a very bad situation.
    this

relative to the situation where they still couldn't find half of their nerfed plane, being able to find that half with "find my iphone" is impressive and laudable (for Apple). Otherwise, not "awesome" but "sucks horribly, but sucks a little less than the original condition did."

Maybe if they said.. they landed the plane with Flight Control HD, then that would be an amazing story. But good thinking by the family.
    My heart goes out to ALL the families involved; but the family that were clued enough to try using the App- really, really good on them. They may have increased the chances of recovering both their loved ones remains, and the other families' losts- or even figuring out WTF happened on the flight in the first place (!).

Here are these high tech monster machines that can carry us across the world being tracked every min, yet they a $700 iPhone to locate the plane.
    Heh, obviously not. If this particular "monster" were being tracked every minute, they wouldn't need Apple's help. Planes with modern avionics and satellite comm do have the capability of real-time automated tracking, but its expensive, new technology that isn't in place everywhere.

It's somewhat interesting though, that the iPhone apparently had Cell service just prior to the crash. If that's the, the local cell towers should already have a fix on the site, from their own records of cell phones on the plane. What makes the iPhone special could be the fact that it was transmitting GPS over cell data (via 'find my iphone') while other phones onboard were probably not, so it would have had better accuracy.

Still. If they found a few body parts floating on the surface within a few hours, they shouldn't have drifted too far from the crash site.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    Not so much this, but

this

relative to the situation where they still couldn't find half of their nerfed plane, being able to find that half with "find my iphone" is impressive and laudable (for Apple). Otherwise, not "awesome" but "sucks horribly, but sucks a little less than the original condition did."

My heart goes out to ALL the families involved; but the family that were clued enough to try using the App- really, really good on them. They may have increased the chances of recovering both their loved ones remains, and the other families' losts- or even figuring out WTF happened on the flight in the first place (!).

Heh, obviously not. If this particular "monster" were being tracked every minute, they wouldn't need Apple's help. Planes with modern avionics and satellite comm do have the capability of real-time automated tracking, but its expensive, new technology that isn't in place everywhere.

It's somewhat interesting though, that the iPhone apparently had Cell service just prior to the crash. If that's the, the local cell towers should already have a fix on the site, from their own records of cell phones on the plane. What makes the iPhone special could be the fact that it was transmitting GPS over cell data (via 'find my iphone') while other phones onboard were probably not, so it would have had better accuracy.

Still. If they found a few body parts floating on the surface within a few hours, they shouldn't have drifted too far from the crash site.
    ... I guess I'll have to agree

I think this is fantastish. My heart does go out to the family's of lost loved ones.

Is this real? crazy
    Instagram: zplit
    Twitter: zplit

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    Not so much this, but

this

Nice breakdown. In the U.S.A. planes are tracked constantly, but outside the U.S.A. many are not. They use time tracking to determine if a plane is missing in some cases. Being tin this case it was a military plane I would think they were keeping very close tabs on it.

Sounds like the person with the iPhone shouldn't have been using it during the flight. But hey, we all know the intelligence level of iPhone users don't we.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Sounds like the person with the iPhone shouldn't have been using it during the flight. But hey, we all know the intelligence level of iPhone users don't we.
    It is entirely possible that the user was attempting to get a signal to contact loved ones knowing that the plane was going down. It happened on the planes during the 9/11 tragedy.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

heart go's out to the family's