+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Augmented Reality iPhone App Released to Honor 9/11 Anniversary

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
This weekend marks the 10th anniversary of the tragic terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. Ahead of the solemn memorials that will commence over the coming days, the app developer
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Augmented Reality iPhone App Released to Honor 9/11 Anniversary

This weekend marks the 10th anniversary of the tragic terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. Ahead of the solemn memorials that will commence over the coming days, the app developer world is churning out several iOS applications that honor the memory of lives lost on 9/11 and revisit Ground Zero in New York York on that terrible day ten years ago.

Jake Barton, the lead media designer producer for the National September 11 Memorial & Museum, says mobile technologies will allow people to understand and experience what happened ten years in an entirely different way. "The big challenge for us is, how does it allow you to tell a more human story?" Barton tells CNN. "How does it allow you to take 9/11 -- which is such a big event that so many people have personal experiences with -- and create a more authentic narrative, so that people are getting closer to the event itself and feeling like they're actually understanding what really happened on 9/11?"

Barton was one of the driving forces behind Explore 9/11, a new iOS application that taps "augmented reality" for the purpose of allowing visitors at Ground Zero to point their iPhones at the location where the Twin Towers stood to see the area as it appeared on September 11, 2001. "What you're doing essentially is capturing photos from around the area, and it basically overlaps them with the different landscapes around you," he says."You can call up something like 'firemen,' 'smoke,' '9/11' itself or 'the World Trade Center,' and it will capture all of the photographs that are geo-located in this area and allow you to actually overlay them on top of what you're looking at."

The application in question was released just yesterday and is available now at no cost via download (iTunes Link).

Source: CNN

Thanks

With respect to the victims of 9/11: our response has been terrible and I'm tired of any more 9/11 news. It's become another excuse by the far right to wage endless war and make endless war profits.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,809 Times in 2,187 Posts

Before this thread even gets started I want to make sure everyone is clear we like hearing everyone's opinion you guys are entitled to it. But if this becomes a thread of debate, hate and name calling I will be handing out infractions that could lead to banning, so please be respectful of others.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

iPhone? More like MyPhone <(O)> Device's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    With respect to the victims of 9/11: our response has been terrible and I'm tired of any more 9/11 news. It's become another excuse by the far right to wage endless war and make endless war profits.
    I couldn't agree with you more.

Green Apple
    Thanks

go play in traffic

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,058 Times in 4,202 Posts

Ok dont let this git out of control keep it simple ppl no need for comments like that

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bstunt10190 View Post
    go play in traffic
    Really, that's your best response?

The two wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are still going on. They've together cost us $1 or $2 trillion, and continue running at something like $10 Billion PER DAY with no end in sight. They've killed more US soldiers than the deaths of 9/11, plus hundreds of thousands of civilians in both countries.

If we were more "secure", maybe all that would be worth it. But we're not. Instead we have lost lives, treasure, and freedoms for basically nothing. We are much less secure because of the wars' contribution to our national debt and because we've created hatred in numbers of countries with our military presence.

Yet we seldom acknowledge this publicly. Instead, we produce platitudes, speeches, and patriotic, heart-tugging gestures like this app. We are paralyzed from acknowledging the elephant in the room, from saying the emperor really has no clothes.

iPhone? More like MyPhone <(O)> Device's Avatar
    Thanks
    Remember the people that died that day instead of the tragedy that caused it. Pointing fingers is what starts wars and bigotry. Let us honor those whether they be a passenger on one of the flights, or an emergency responder. Honoring brave souls is what this memorial should be about.

Thanks

thanks but i dont need or want an app that will only bring down my mood.
    or even make me think of horrible situations people were put in.

Augmented reality of 9/11 can kiss my ***, make a graveyard augmented reality so people can find there dead ones?????? NOT.

not pics of people dying...

and we all have the moment on silence on the 11th. Don't be a douchbag.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by <(O)> Device View Post
    Remember the people that died that day instead of the tragedy that caused it. Pointing fingers is what starts wars and bigotry. Let us honor those whether they be a passenger on one of the flights, or an emergency responder. Honoring brave souls is what this memorial should be about.
    We honor them best by not perpetuating inane, costly, and bloody actions that don't do anything to fix the original problem. To simply remember them, without action, is like offering prayers for the troops. It does nothing except salve our disquiet.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Angry Please
    We honor them best by not perpetuating inane, costly, and bloody actions that don't do anything to fix the original problem. To simply remember them, without action, is like offering prayers for the troops. It does nothing except salve our disquiet.

Can't stop blaming and pointing no matter what? Get over it and realize we ARE talking about my fellow soldiers that have endured the fight and believe it or not, some think like you but are patriotic enough to go o'seas and prevent woman from being killed and children to enjoy an education that some in Sacramento take for granted and even waste on individuals that can't stop using euphemism's to attempt to explain what thhttp://c.betrad.com/icon/c_100_us.pngey don't know.

Thanks

Far many more are not only patriotic but observant enough to see that volunteering in a mercenary army for two completely useless wars is not patriotic, but counter-productive and naive. But hey, go ahead and download the app. Put a yellow ribbon decal on your car, "I support our troops". And feel self-righteously superior as we collectively continue our journey into Dumb and Dumber.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Where did the towers go?

Dr Judy Wood

Time to wake up!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Far many more are not only patriotic but observant enough to see that volunteering in a mercenary army for two completely useless wars is not patriotic, but counter-productive and naive. But hey, go ahead and download the app. Put a yellow ribbon decal on your car, "I support our troops". And feel self-righteously superior as we collectively continue our journey into Dumb and Dumber.
    Agreed 1000% Guess he still believes Bin Laden was responsible when all he has to do is look at the government. The USA if probably one of the most hated countries. The people are so blinded and dumb they will allow the government to do anything, just look at the Patriot Act

Green Apple
    Thanks
    This app "Fails to install" Itunes Sync. Anyone have idea's?

iPhone? More like MyPhone hapishyguy's Avatar
    Thanks

Really, that's your best response?

The two wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are still going on. They've together cost us $1 or $2 trillion, and continue running at something like $10 Billion PER DAY with no end in sight. They've killed more US soldiers than the deaths of 9/11, plus hundreds of thousands of civilians in both countries.

If we were more "secure", maybe all that would be worth it. But we're not. Instead we have lost lives, treasure, and freedoms for basically nothing. We are much less secure because of the wars' contribution to our national debt and because we've created hatred in numbers of countries with our military presence.

Yet we seldom acknowledge this publicly. Instead, we produce platitudes, speeches, and patriotic, heart-tugging gestures like this app. We are paralyzed from acknowledging the elephant in the room, from saying the emperor really has no clothes.
    I have to agree with you. With our military presence in other nations we are being hated more and more. We have no means to put our leg in someones land without their permission.

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

All I have to show for the comments going on is...