Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sprint Reportedly Installing Cellular Repeaters at Apple Stores

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Sprint Reportedly Installing Cellular Repeaters at Apple Stores

Despite the Labor Day holiday in the US today, the tech rumor mill certainly didn't take a day off Monday as a full slate of reports and speculations have pelted the blogosphere since sunrise.

The latest reports we're hearing today suggest that Sprint has begun installing cellular repeaters in Apple Stores, the freshest clue in the all but officially confirmed reality that Sprint will carry the iPhone this fall in the US.

According to a source from Austin, Texas that has been in communication with BeatWeek, at least one Apple Retail store is on the confirmed list as far as retail locations where a Sprint cellular repeater is installed. “One thing I can tell you is that the electrical contractor that I work for is contracted to install Sprint repeaters at The Domain," the source reveals. "There is a Apple Store at The Domain. One of the repeaters is to be installed INSIDE the Apple Store. There is to be a total of 5 repeaters installed. The equipment is CDMA and 4G (Sprint).”

If this report and others like it are accurate, Apple obviously wants iPhone 5 buyers "to put the device through its paces on the Sprint network" while they are still in the store.

Fewer than 24 hours after the Verizon iPhone was announced in January, rumors surfaced that "Sprint was next." If this eventuality ultimately befalls us, Apple will have extended its carrier reach from just AT&T to AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint all within a twelve month period. What about T-Mobile, you ask? If AT&T's bid for the carrier is ultimately allowed, you can bet the iPhone will soon thereafter be available on the four largest wireless networks in the US. Of course, for the time being, that reality isn't guaranteed by any stretch of the imagination.

Source: Beatweek

Might be time to look into switching! +1 Sprint 4G

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwil736 View Post
    Might be time to look into switching! +1 Sprint 4G
    I hate to break it to you, but Sprint's "4G" is slower than Verizon and ATT's 3G

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    I hate to break it to you, but Sprint's "4G" is slower than Verizon and ATT's 3G
    Says who? AT&T can get pretty laggy at times.

Its faster than at&t's 3G which is faster than and verizon's 3G. Besides Sprint's 3G is the the same CDMA EVDO Rev. A network that is Verizon's (just way worse coverage). However at&t's "3.5G" HSPA+ (instead of GSM HSPA) is about the same or slightly slower than Sprint's 4G WiMax. WiMax is about 3x-4x (theoretically) faster than CDMA whereas HSPA+ is around 2.5x-3x faster. At&t has had 3.5G since the iphone 4 (even look on apples site specs it says HSPA+) and AT&T slowly upgraded most of their towers with it and activated it for all of the phones it currently markets as "4G". Its funny because T-Mobile claimed it was faster than AT&T because it has "4G" when in reality T-Mobile has less HSPA+ than AT&T and has no plans to get LTE. Anyways LTE is much faster than WiMax (Sprints current 4G) and HSPA+ ("3.5G" or T-mobile's "4G") and around as much as (theoretically) 8x-10x faster speeds than CDMA (Sprint and Verizon's "3G) and that is the sole reason why Verizon and AT&T chose to take longer to implement and why Sprint plans to eventually implement it and why it will become a global standard. At&t is just taking longer than At&t to implement because their cheap bastards that would rather try to buy their competition for better coverage than buy the towers themselves.

Interesting note though that they are installing Sprints WiMax 4G equipment in Apple stores especially after reports of Verizon and At&t 4G LTE equipment being installed in apple stores. I sure hope Apple makes their painfully long delayd worth it and gives us a goddamn 4G phone thats factory unlocked and works on all carriers 4G and 3G. If they decide to be assholes and stick with 3G like they did with the 2.5G original iphone in the midst of a lot of 3G coverage... I swear I will buy a goddamn droid.

Thanks

Ill never leave AT&T

Green Apple
    Thanks

The argument of who is faster is so stupid. All the companies use the same cellular towers to deliver service.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sp00nfedem1 View Post
    Says who? AT&T can get pretty laggy at times.
    True that. However, if you are a traveler than Sprint is not that good. I travel a lot and at times to locations that seem only suited for Discoverys Bear Grills. What I noticed is the best coverage are Verison and ATT. I almost always have signal and Internet access with either carrier. Sprint almost never. It seems to be getting a little better and perhaps in the future Sprint will expand their reach outside of city limits. However for now the footprint is the limiting factor in the speed debate, and I will continue to loan my phone to some of my coworkers and hunting buddies when their Sprint signal goes flatlined....
    Last edited by kuhndsn; 09-06-2011 at 07:24 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    And I hate to break it to you but Sprint's 3G is identical to Verizon's 3G and in many markets the two providers contract for space on each others networks so in those cases speed is identical. Sprint's WiMax may be slower than Verizon's implementation of LTE but Clear, Sprint's "4G" partner, is already building out an LTE network to work in conjunction with, and likely replace, the older WiMax network. AT&T's 3G (HSPA) is indeed faster than Sprint and Verizon's 3G (EVDO) but not faster than either LTE or WiMax. So Sprint is cheaper than AT&T and Verizon and offers coverage equivalent to Verizon (here in Las Vegas Verizon roams on Sprint, not the other way around). Sure sounds good to me. My contract with AT&T is nearly up and if Sprint gets the iPhone 5 you can be sure I'll be among the first to move my 3 lines over to Sprint on launch day.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    And I hate to break it to you but Sprint's 3G is identical to Verizon's 3G and in many markets the two providers contract for space on each others networks so in those cases speed is identical. Sprint's WiMax may be slower than Verizon's implementation of LTE but Clear, Sprint's "4G" partner, is already building out an LTE network to work in conjunction with, and likely replace, the older WiMax network. AT&T's 3G (HSPA) is indeed faster than Sprint and Verizon's 3G (EVDO) but not faster than either LTE or WiMax. So Sprint is cheaper than AT&T and Verizon and offers coverage equivalent to Verizon (here in Las Vegas Verizon roams on Sprint, not the other way around). Sure sounds good to me. My contract with AT&T is nearly up and if Sprint gets the iPhone 5 you can be sure I'll be among the first to move my 3 lines over to Sprint on launch day.
    Good points. However, I wonder what affect if any, the iPhone will bring to Sprint's fees. It will be interesting to see if the iPhone will either drive their price up, or if it they will leave it as is for the iPhone and force the other carriers to lower their plans. From looking at the data use reports from the iPhone I imagine that Sprint will feel the heavy bandwidth load like Verison and ATT has. If their launch is successful then I would bet they will raise the price margin closer to the other two. My hopes is the price will stay and force the other two to follow suit. However, I wouldn't hold my breath.

I have an iPad 2 3G (Verizon) and iPhone 4(Att). The iPhone constantly blows the doors off with speed. Triples it. Not just at home, but, anywhere within100 miles, story is always the same. I'm sure someone here will come up with an excuse.

Wimax is supposed to be faster( on paper it is). At least that's what my friend with an evo says as my iPhone dusts it. Don't believe everything you hear. Only believe half what you see.

Evo 4g
    Last edited by oddphone20; 09-06-2011 at 03:18 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

so by installing repeaters, they are misleading buyers into thinking their phone/data service is awesome, but when you step outside, away from the fake towers, you'll have crappy signal like everyone else?
    60% of the time, it works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Madman604x View Post
    so by installing repeaters, they are misleading buyers into thinking their phone/data service is awesome, but when you step outside, away from the fake towers, you'll have crappy signal like everyone else?
    Bazinga.