+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dashboard for Maps Enhances Maps Application on iDevice

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
If you remember from about a month back, two consecutive tweaks came out for the Maps application: Speedometer for Maps and Compass for Maps . The developer Evan Coleman (@edc1591)
    Thanks

Default Dashboard for Maps Enhances Maps Application on iDevice

If you remember from about a month back, two consecutive tweaks came out for the Maps application: Speedometer for Maps and Compass for Maps. The developer Evan Coleman (@edc1591) released both of them for free on Cydia, however he just recently released an application the combines the two: Dashboard for Maps. You may be asking yourself, "what is the difference between the combination application and the two separate ones?" I had the same question - so I chatted with Evan (on behalf of ModMyi) to get some clarification on what is new. Get the full details below:

Dashboard for Maps adds a compass and speedometer to the Maps application, just like the Speedometer for Maps and Compass for Maps applications already do. However the difference between the Dashboard and the individual separate applications is that Dashboard for Maps adds an elevation indicator. Plus, it gives you a little more customization in regards to toggles and settings. Evan mentioned that he has ideas on how to make the Dashboard for Maps application even better. He will be only updating this application from now on so the other applications will remain as is. The settings for Dashboard for Maps gives us a little more insight on the power of the tweak.

• The Enable button is just a simple toggle on/off
    • If you wish to show degrees in the compass, you can toggle this on/off
    • Simple Speedometer gives you an option to display different things on the actual speedometer within the Maps application. To toggle Simple Speedometer, simply tap the speedometer within the application. Tap it again to view the standard option
    • You can change the speed units depending on your preference (i.e. MPH, FPS, KPH, MPS, and even Knots)
    • Distance units can be toggled with as well (i.e. Miles, Feet, Kilometers, Meters, Nautical Miles)
    • Change the transparency of the dashboard within the Maps application by messing with the bar

Dashboard for Maps is available on Cydia now for $1.00. If you find these features useful or you already have the Compass for Maps and (or) Speedometer for Maps installed, this is well worth the purchase. It is a reasonable price for the capabilities you get from the tweak itself. Not to mention you will be able to use new features as updates for Dashboard for Maps come out (as the other tweaks will not be updated). At this current time, it is available on all firmwares iOS 4.0+ and requires an iPhone 3GS or 4. iPad compatibility to come soon (it partially works on the iOS 5 beta, however the speedometer doesn't show (as seen in the header photo). It is not worth downloading on the iOS 5 beta because you can't change any settings without PreferenceLoader).

Name: Dashboard for Maps
    Author: Evan Coleman
    Version: 1.0
    Price: $1.00

In the process of chatting with Evan about the tweak, I was able to interview him to learn more about his work with Dashboard for Maps. Give it a read.

JOSH: What first gave you the idea to create Dashboard for Maps (or initially the Compass and Speedometer for Map tweaks)?
    EVAN: If I remember correctly, one day it just hit me that the iPhone collects speed and location data at the same time. So I thought, if the Maps app uses the standard location methods in iOS, it must collect speed data in addition to your location (which I discovered it did). After this realization I made Speed for Maps. After seeing such a positive response to that, I figured "Why stop there?" So I started thinking about every other piece of information that I could add to the Maps app in a similar way, and that's where I came up with the idea for Compass for Maps. Throughout this whole time I had the idea for a full-featured dashboard for Maps in the back of my head, but it wasn't until after Speed/Compass for Maps that I actually started working on it.

JOSH: Are these your first applications made? Or do you have others in Cydia or in the App Store?
    EVAN: My maps tweaks are not my only tweaks/apps. In addition to the three Maps tweaks, I have one other (very simple) tweak called "No Dock Reflection." This tweak, as the title suggests, simply removes the dock icon reflection from iOS 4. If you're interested you can find that on the BigBoss repo in Cydia for free.

JOSH: What additions are you planning on adding to Dashboard for Maps?
    EVAN: The most requested addition to Dashboard for Maps so far is an iPad version. iPad compatibility is coming eventually. I don't have an iPad yet (I'm waiting for the iPad 3), but adding iPad compatibility to Dashboard for Maps will be one of the first things I do when I get it. I also plan to add more display options. For example, you can choose to only display certain widgets. If you want to make Dashboard for Maps look exactly like Speed for Maps, you can (i.e. show only the speed in the corner of the map).

JOSH: If people have suggestions on how to make Dashboard for Maps better, which is the best method to communicate with you?
    EVAN: If you can squeeze your message into 140 characters, then go ahead and contact me on Twitter, I'm @edc1591. If not you can email me at [email protected].

JOSH: Are you working on any other projects that you're willing to talk about?
    EVAN: I do have a couple other tweaks that I'm currently working on but I'd rather not divulge the details on those just yet. You can follow all of my projects at http://evancoleman.net (I'm currently working on a major redesign of my site).

To keep up to date with Dashboard for Maps and other projects by Evan Coleman (@edc1591), follow him on Twitter.

Source(s): Evan Coleman

Thanks

Wow...I want to sell my T-Mobile iPhone G2. For a legitimate iPhone 4 or 5 now.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vandale View Post
    LOLWUT? Because of a (IMO) crappy maps tweak?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks
    Thanked 5,512 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    LOLWUT? Because of a (IMO) crappy maps tweak?
    Lol crazy
    Instagram: zplit
    Twitter: zplit

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vandale View Post
    Wow no one sees this as Sarcasm?
    Does he need to hold up a SARCASM sign?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I wouldn't say "crappy" in my personal opinion ... Just insignificant. It wouldn't be a sole reason to own an iPhone if you don't already have one. What would be nice is if iPhones could have turn-by-turn in Maps like Android does.

iPhone? More like MyPhone hapishyguy's Avatar
    Thanks

Waiting for iPhone 5 in TMobile.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i tried the speedometer when i was going to england with the train, to my surprise it didnt work, (train traveled at over 200mph) high speed not compatible?

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djfr3nchi3 View Post
    i tried the speedometer when i was going to england with the train, to my surprise it didnt work, (train traveled at over 200mph) high speed not compatible?
    Could your find your location the whole time? I'm guessing there was a metal roof or something interfering with it but who knows I could be totally off base

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    I wouldn't say "crappy" in my personal opinion ... Just insignificant. It wouldn't be a sole reason to own an iPhone if you don't already have one. What would be nice is if iPhones could have turn-by-turn in Maps like Android does.
    Paying $2 for something like this... sorry I would still call it crappy.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Paying $2 for something like this... sorry I would still call it crappy.
    Heh, you're in luck! If you'd actually read the article critically, you would have discovered that it is only $1. Argue intelligently.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Tucker View Post
    Heh, you're in luck! If you'd actually read the article critically, you would have discovered that it is only $1. Argue intelligently.
    Correction. Paying $1 for something like this... still just as crappy.

We pay a buck for games with dozens of levels and hours of fun that are often updated. Here we are paying to see what direction we are going, a simple speedo (why?), and some coordinates. For that same dollar...
    Last edited by sziklassy; 09-02-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Thanks

Correction. Paying $1 for something like this... still just as crappy.

We pay a buck for games with dozens of levels and hours of fun that are often updated. Here we are paying to see what direction we are going, a simple speedo (why?), and some coordinates. For that same dollar...
    That doesn't make it a "crappy" application. It just makes it useless from your perspective. Crappy is saying that its functionality is terrible or it doesn't work. It actually works well - so choice of words is key.

Thanks

That doesn't make it a "crappy" application. It just makes it useless from your perspective. Crappy is saying that its functionality is terrible or it doesn't work. It actually works well - so choice of words is key.
    Sure, I can play this game too.

Definition of CRAPPY
    slang
    : markedly inferior in quality : lousy
    See crappy defined for English-language learners »
    Examples of CRAPPY

I think that was the crappiest movie I've ever seen.
    I felt crappy all day yesterday.
    from Definition of CRAPPY
    slang
    Examples of CRAPPY

Definition of CRAPPY
    slang
    Examples of CRAPPY

Crappy - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Seems like my use of the term was just fine when used as slang (as intended). See examples
    Last edited by sziklassy; 09-02-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Thanks

Sure, I can play this game too.

Definition of CRAPPY
    slang
    Examples of CRAPPY

from Definition of CRAPPY
    slang
    Examples of CRAPPY

Definition of CRAPPY
    slang
    Examples of CRAPPY

Crappy - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Seems like my use of the term was just fine when used as slang (as intended). See examples
    Definition of LOUSY

: infested with lice
    a : totally repulsive : contemptible
    b : miserably poor or inferior <------Bingo
    c : somewhat ill
    d : amply supplied : replete
    of silk : fuzzy and specked because of splitting of the fiber
    — lous·i·ly adverb
    — lous·i·ness noun

"Lousy" - Merriam Webster's Dictionary Online

The application is not poor or inferior by definition. The slang term does not apply either.

Thanks

Definition of LOUSY

: infested with lice
    a : totally repulsive : contemptible
    b : miserably poor or inferior <------Bingo
    c : somewhat ill
    d : amply supplied : replete
    of silk : fuzzy and specked because of splitting of the fiber
    — lous·i·ly adverb
    — lous·i·ness noun

"Lousy" - Merriam Webster's Dictionary Online

The application is not poor or inferior by definition. The slang term does not apply either.
    My friend, let's just drop this, shall we? It is crappy to me, and that is clearly all that I was saying. Whatever you THINK I may have been implying with that statement, I can tell you, in fact, you were 100% wrong.

If I must use it in the sentence... "This is the crappiest $1 app I have ever seen." This is being used as "this is inferior to other ~$1 that exist on the market". Better? It's all slang, and the app is crap TO ME if I am paying for it. Far better and more useful tweaks out there as far as value, so, in terms of value, again, TO ME, it is inferior.

Let's say that I give you that I used the wrong term. So what? Was there truly confusion as to what I meant? I am 99% sure that there was not. When someone tells you they bought a crappy game on the appstore, it's because they think it sucks. This is implied and understood fairly well, unless of course you take life 100% literally, which would truly be a disappointing thing in and of itself. So, I got my point across in my original statement, and we (all) just wasted our time.

I just love it when someone who fancies himself a scholar brings it upon himself to try and school others on how to use a term in a public forum, or how to properly use grammar, spelling, etc. Please feel free to point out anywhere that I improperly used punctuation, misspelled a word, or even perhaps misused it. I am certain it makes you feel just awesome to do that.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 09-02-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Thanks

My friend, let's just drop this, shall we? It is crappy to me, and that is clearly all that I was saying. Whatever you THINK I may have been implying with that statement, I can tell you, in fact, you were 100% wrong.

If I must use it in the sentence... "This is the crappiest $1 app I have ever seen." This is being used as "this is inferior to other ~$1 that exist on the market". Better? It's all slang, and the app is crap TO ME if I am paying for it. Far better and more useful tweaks out there as far as value, so, in terms of value, again, TO ME, it is inferior.

Let's say that I give you that I used the wrong term. So what? Was there truly confusion as to what I meant? I am 99% sure that there was not. When someone tells you they bought a crappy game on the appstore, it's because they think it sucks. This is implied and understood fairly well, unless of course you take life 100% literally, which would truly be a disappointing thing in and of itself. So, I got my point across in my original statement, and we (all) just wasted our time.

I just love it when someone who fancies himself a scholar brings it upon himself to try and school others on how to use a term in a public forum, or how to properly use grammar, spelling, etc. Please feel free to point out anywhere that I improperly used punctuation, misspelled a word, or even perhaps misused it. I am certain it makes you feel just awesome to do that.
    I'm totally messing with you man! No worries or harm done. Everyone has a right to their own opinion - I just review the applications/tweaks and give people the choice. Because I write on article on something doesn't mean I like it myself. I do like this tweak, however it is not useful for me at this time.