+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Redirect Application Launching with OpenOther+

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
If you remember not to long ago, Ryan Petrich (@rpetrich) started Tweak Week to allow developers in the community to build open-source applications to help other aspiring developers get some
    Thanks

Default Redirect Application Launching with OpenOther+

If you remember not to long ago, Ryan Petrich (@rpetrich) started Tweak Week to allow developers in the community to build open-source applications to help other aspiring developers get some good insight on the coding aspect. Many great developers that we know from various popular tweaks and applications put in their time to code for Tweak Week. One such developer, Tyler Nettleton (@InfectionFX), created a tweak that allows you to assign and redirect application launching with different SpringBoard icons. Basically, you can set an application icon to open another application (i.e. set the iTunes icon to open the App Store application). Since the creation of the tweak OpenOther for Tweak Week, Tyler has expanded and re-designed/coded OpenOther so that he could submit a more updated version to Cydia (via the BigBoss repo) called OpenOther+. Here's the scoop on what's different:

From the original version of OpenOther, you were only able to map one application redirect. Now with OpenOther+, you are able to set redirects for as many applications as you wish. In order to map applications together, follow these steps:

• On your SpringBoard, enter wiggle mode by holding down on a SpringBoard icon
    • Double tap on the icon you wish to redirect. A window will come up saying "Now select the app you would like to redirect to"
    • From there, double tap another icon; the one you wish to redirect. After that, it will say something like "App Store is now opening iTunes" (or whatever application you map)
    • If you wish to remove the redirect, simply double tap the icon that you redirected in wiggle mode. It will bring up a window saying "Application redirect has been removed"

OpenOther+ will be submitted to the BigBoss repo soon and will be available for $1.99. It will be compatible on devices iOS 4.1+ (not currently supported on the iOS 5 beta). When it comes out and you find it interesting or useful, give it a shot and see what you think. For the time being, what are your thoughts?

Name: OpenOther+
    Author: InfectionFX
    Price: $1.99

Follow Tyler Nettleton (@InfectionFX) on Twitter to keep up to date on OpenOther+ and his other projects.

UPDATE: OpenOther+ is now available on Cydia.
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 09-03-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Thanks

I can't for the life of me think of a reason why I would want to open "other."
    Quaerite et invenietis.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Amadomon For This Useful Post:

that_girl (09-01-2011)

Thanks

Erm why not just hit the icon you want to open in the first place? Seems a little pointless redirecting 1 app icon to another app that already has an icon or am I missing something??

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesey123 For This Useful Post:

that_girl (09-01-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I guess it's good for a quick prank. Other than that, I don't see the point.

Thanks

Indeed - I myself don't see any real use for it other than for shenanigans. It could potentially be really funny though!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRagnarok View Post
    I guess it's good for a quick prank. Other than that, I don't see the point.
    Indeed. Redirect all their apps to other apps and then redirect openother to something else so they can't turn it off.

Brr
    Thanks

Well, I see I useful feature here.

Redirect Settings to Maps.

Now, follow me here..when your iPhone is lost or stolen, the thief would not be able to turn off find my iPhone or even other settings he/she would need to access in order to make the iPhone not report its location.

Oh...and when thief is opening settings, he's actually updating the location lol.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brr View Post
    Well, I see I useful feature here.

Redirect Settings to Maps.

Now, follow me here..when your iPhone is lost or stolen, the thief would not be able to turn off find my iPhone or even other settings he/she would need to access in order to make the iPhone not report its location.

Oh...and when thief is opening settings, he's actually updating the location lol.
    Cool. You can also just use a passcode lock.
    I bet you can tap the home button to bring up search, type in settings, and launch the app that way too.

If your thief is dumb, this will work. If your thief is dumb, you probably don't need much security on your phone. He won't be pulling much information off anyway.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Modmyi.com This was probably one of the most useless apps you ever wasted an article on. Potential in the creator, yes. Potential in the app, definitely zero. As a prank it would last one day, then never be used again. As far as security, this would not make a lost phone secure at all. My 3 year old would figure it out in 10 minutes or less.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,512 Times in 2,730 Posts

Don't really like this tweak I mean what's the point?
    Instagram: zplit
    Twitter: zplit

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by playab0yyy View Post
    Modmyi.com This was probably one of the most useless apps you ever wasted an article on. Potential in the creator, yes. Potential in the app, definitely zero. As a prank it would last one day, then never be used again. As far as security, this would not make a lost phone secure at all. My 3 year old would figure it out in 10 minutes or less.
    Gonna call BS on the three year old statement, unless of course your kid happens to be a genius. Point is, I think, that it would be enough to confuse someone. Unbreakable, of course not. But in those first few minutes your phone is lost it may be very helpful.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Everyone saying "I can't see the point of this" needs to develop their imagination.

I was delighted when the original OpenOther was released, because I could use it to redirect the built-in dynamic-display Calendar icon to the calendar app that I actually use (CCal). This way I got the best of both worlds: the better app accessed via the better icon.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dgmdgm View Post
    Everyone saying "I can't see the point of this" needs to develop their imagination.

I was delighted when the original OpenOther was released, because I could use it to redirect the built-in dynamic-display Calendar icon to the calendar app that I actually use (CCal). This way I got the best of both worlds: the better app accessed via the better icon.
    why not just change the icon via ssh??lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can't see myself using this..Way too long!! Apptivator is good alternative though the app gives you the ability to double tap any icon on the springboard to activate any activator toggles (much easier and much faster)

Here's a few examples of how my phone works:
    double tap maps opens tomtom
    double tap my iRealSms icon triggers quicksend
    double tap the ipod icon launches ipod control
    double tap the appstore brings me to cydia
    double tap the phone icon launches the phone app in the favorite tab
    double tap the camera app turns on the LED light
    double tap the weather app inverses the colors (easier to read at night in bed)
    double tap shazam brings me to itunes store
    double tap contacts brings me to yellow pages
    double tap notes brings me to pages
    .... use your imagination
    Last edited by iFanaddic; 09-02-2011 at 12:02 AM.

Thanks

Wether it's useful for some or not I do appreciate infectionFX for taking time out of his life to make this tweak for the JailBreak Community.

Thanks and keep up the great work and hope to see more tweaks from you soon.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fatherq View Post
    why not just change the icon via ssh??lol
    This is far less work.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dgmdgm View Post

Ah, now I get it. This is for very niche scenarios.. like wanting interactive icons like Weather, LiveClock, and Calendar to open your preferred weather or calendar application. Makes sense. Whether they're useful to me or not, I always love to see a new tweak. Especially when they're free Hate on, haters!
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

Green Apple
    Thanks

this tweak is totally useless!! y would i map an app to another map? just doesnt make any sense!
    Apptivator on the other hand does a perfect job at this. u can DOUBLE tap an app to open another... so me, all my homepage icons open 2 apps (single click the app itself and double click wtv i chose as shortcut) and you can change the settings withing activator.