+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Photo Stream Beta Icon Hints at Possible iPhone 5 Dimensions

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by steeda763 If you're here to help other people out, you can start by not trolling an iPhone forum with your pro-Android nonsense. Or at least make reasonably
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steeda763 View Post
    If you're here to help other people out, you can start by not trolling an iPhone forum with your pro-Android nonsense. Or at least make reasonably sound arguments when you do.
    i aint trolling i was stating my opinion based upon my experience cause i own a jailbroken iphone 4, an iphone 3gs, iphone 3g, ipad 2, and a jailbroken ipod touch most of my stuff is apple either way i even have an Imac

Quote Originally Posted by BloodNreaper View Post
    Apple really is holding back on specs when it comes about specs samsung galaxy s2 has better performance, it has flash, has widgets and stuff... I have an iPhone 4 and when I use a dreamboard or widgets my iPhone starts lagging and crashing alot...just like droid phones. I hope apple steps it up alot if not I'm going to get a samsung galaxy s2...
    i was also thinking off also getting the samsung galaxy s2 same thing happened to me with dreamboard i was using the endroid theme and it started lagging and crashing i had to restore a few times apple shud put the stuff we want rather than jailbreaking the phone to get what we want

my friend keeps shoving his android phone in my face saying that he can play the n64 emulator on it and i cant why cant we get the n64 emulator that runs smooth
    Last edited by matrixhunter; 09-02-2011 at 08:23 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    That act of jailbreaking in and of itself does in no way affect battery life. All it does is gain root access. Battery life is affected when the CPU is accessed in some way. Background processes are the huge battery drain which jailbreaking does not create any. Mobile substrate add-ons also do not affect battery... they access RAM which does not take up additional CPU cycles. After a user jailbreaks it is a common misconception that battery life goes down but this is explained by the fact that you are constantly modding your phone, tweaking it, downloading apps and themes from Cydia and just generally on it more then you would be otherwise. If you jailbreak and then do not access Cydia for ANYTHING and just use your phone as you normally would your battery life is the same. After a few weeks of tweaking your phone habits go back to normal and so does your battery life. This is why EVERY SINGLE TIME a new firmware comes out your have 20 threads started about battery life and then after a month people realize it's not the battery life.. its the fact that they never put their phone down after a new jailbreak. Hacktivation and unlocking however is a different story. If you hacktivate and your phone does not have vald certificates your phone will try and download them all day thus accessing the CPU and draining battery. This is why SAM was written.

If you want to compare what can be done between iPhone and Android, both with root access, you sir are fighting a losing battle. How about custom roms and kernels, overclocking, dual booting fully functional linux distros, sideloading apps straight out of the box, NO DEVELOPER FEES, and the list goes on. Droid does a lot that iPhone doesn't do(notice I didn't say the iPhone can't do these things, only that it currently does not). I would assume now people would say that the iPhone doesn't NEED any of that, but at the end of the day it is all subjective.
    Last edited by BIMPtacular; 09-02-2011 at 08:57 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steeda763 View Post
    If you're here to help other people out, you can start by not trolling an iPhone forum with your pro-Android nonsense. Or at least make reasonably sound arguments when you do.
    "pro-Android nonsense"? Are you really that condescending? God-forbid anyone try to start a dialogue about the benefits that android may or may not bring to the table. It's disgusting the way half of you are pouncing on this one poster and this is the only reason why I don't browse this site anymore. You all really need to grow up.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

STOP CALLING IT 'iPhone 4S!" It's just like the idiots saying that the iPhone 4 might be "iPhone 4G" and then justifying it by saying that nothing was confirmed yet. Sure: nothing was confirmed, but it sure-as-sh!t wasn't going to be named for a network technology it didn't contain!

"4S" is unlikely because it forgets that a "cut down" version is neither the fourth iPhone nor the speedier "S" version of the fourth. It would be silly to call it that when it is a genuinely different phone. The only scenario where I can see it would be if there were an iPhone 5 and a slightly speedier but cheaper iPhone 4S with minimal enhancements released at the same time. That would be something like an iPhone 4S with a faster-clocked A4 and HSPA vs the iPhone 4 having a slower A4 and HSUPA and the iPhone 5 having the true upgrade with multi-core A5, increased storage and system memory capacity, etc.

Edit: Looks like I was wrong. I believe that, as rumored, Apple fully intended to release an iPhone 5 at the same time and the iPhone 4S was to be the cheaper cut-down version compared to the iPhone 5, but this "significant investment" Sprint has made where they "bet the farm" was likely buying exclusivity. We'll see when the iPhone 5 is truly launched. If I'm right, it'll be mid-cycle, for sure!
    Last edited by CZroe; 02-01-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BIMPtacular View Post
    If you want to compare what can be done between iPhone and Android, both with root access, you sir are fighting a losing battle. How about custom roms and kernels, overclocking, dual booting fully functional linux distros, sideloading apps straight out of the box, NO DEVELOPER FEES, and the list goes on. Droid does a lot that iPhone doesn't do(notice I didn't say the iPhone can't do these things, only that it currently does not). I would assume now people would say that the iPhone doesn't NEED any of that, but at the end of the day it is all subjective.
    I'm a little confused... what added functionality does a custom ROM or kernel give you? Talking about loading a completely different OS is getting a bit off topic as I was referring to added functionality of Android vs iOS. Over clocking does not provide additional functionality either... unless you consider hyper battery drain a feature. iOS is so much more resource efficient than Android it's not even funny. iPhones don't NEED to match the hardware specs of Android to get the same or better levels of system performance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by matrixhunter View Post
    i aint trolling i was stating my opinion based upon my experience cause i own a jailbroken iphone 4, an iphone 3gs, iphone 3g, ipad 2, and a jailbroken ipod touch most of my stuff is apple either way i even have an Imac

i was also thinking off also getting the samsung galaxy s2 same thing happened to me with dreamboard i was using the endroid theme and it started lagging and crashing i had to restore a few times apple shud put the stuff we want rather than jailbreaking the phone to get what we want
    Could you please learn English?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,717 Times in 1,170 Posts

Grammar police ^^^

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
    Grammar police ^^^
    Fragment (consider revising)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,717 Times in 1,170 Posts

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    Could you please learn English?
    could you do me a favor and not bash others

Back on topic: Apple has increased battery life with every new iPhone and I doubt this one would be any different but considering the iPhone4 already has some of the best battery life of any smart phone on the market I don't think that's really a glaring necessity. All of the upgrades to the processor and camera are merely to compete on paper against the Android phones and barely seem necessary from a performance standpoint. So really the biggest improvements are going to come from a larger screen, hopefully not at the expense of becoming a huge burden like many Android devices though becoming thinner would certainly combat that, and from iOS5 which appears to have some major improvements. My biggest concern isn't even with this phone, it's with the next one. Is Apple going to get back on the June release cycle? Will the next iPhone support LTE? If both answers are "Yes" then I'd probably bypass getting the "5" and wait for the "6" but with Apple there's always that unknown.
    But either way i cant get the 5 cause i cant upgrade yet i think i might as well wait for the 6
    Last edited by matrixhunter; 09-02-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I'm a little confused... what added functionality does a custom ROM or kernel give you? Talking about loading a completely different OS is getting a bit off topic as I was referring to added functionality of Android vs iOS. Over clocking does not provide additional functionality either... unless you consider hyper battery drain a feature. iOS is so much more resource efficient than Android it's not even funny. iPhones don't NEED to match the hardware specs of Android to get the same or better levels of system performance.
    I see there is no reasoning with you. If you would like to know what a custom Rom/Kernel can do for an Android device I would advise you to educate yourself. No one ever said iOS wasn't efficient. Everything I said, with the exception of no fees to develop, was directly related to hardware/OS functionality, kind of difficult to argue with that. I'm not saying any one device is better than another, but it is obvious where your allegiance lies.

This should get you started
    Last edited by BIMPtacular; 09-02-2011 at 01:35 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BIMPtacular For This Useful Post:

sziklassy (09-02-2011)

Thanks

Seriously. if you need to question what kind of functionality a custom ROM can bring to Android you should probably go to eBay and buy one of those devices you can get for 20% of what it cost someone (Did I quote you correctly?) and try it for yourself. But seeing how you asked the question, it means you simply just do not know.

iPhone? More like MyPhone <(O)> Device's Avatar
    Thanks
    Doesn't look to bad. At least it still has a home button.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

considering the iPhone4 already has some of the best battery life of any smart phone on the market I don't think that's really a glaring necessity.
    Ummm, what? What are you basing this statement on?

So still no response on what the Droid can do that the iPhone can't. The next iPhone for for sure have at least HSPA+ 14.4Mbs which is twice as fast as the current model. Tethering at 14.4Mbs is plenty for most applications.
    I love my iPhone, but there are plenty of features in Android that I wish we had.

1. Widgets. I meant TRUE widgets, not this crap they are calling widgets in iOS 5. While some may hurt battery life, it really depends on what they do. If they are constantly pinging some server for information, sure, it's no good. If it's something like a a music player widget, that is a non-issue. One can also set widgets to pull data only when desired. I generally set my weather (and such) to update when I unlock my screen. No sense in it updating every minute while I am not looking at it.
    2. Custom roms. Plenty of these are more stable and feature rich than what manufacturers produce. One of my favorite features here is desktops. Say I use different apps while at work han while at home. I can set up my desktops and switch between them. The apps and info I need at work is presented to me instantly when I am there. When I am home, I see the things I like/need for play time.
    3. Flash. Apple nerds say it's crappy. I say it runs just fine on sites that need it on my Android device. I also say I know how to disable flash if it is truly causing problems.
    4. App integration. Any app can have control over any part of your phone (with your knowledge and permission). Apple has evolved here, but still can't hold a candle to Android. A great example is Google Voice. Use that on Android versus iOS and you will instantly know what I mean.
    5. Alternate keyboards. You have a choice to decide what you want on your keyboard. Swype is a beautiful thing too!
    6. Ability to install apps from anywhere (with user permission). It's a little ridiculous (and I am not even sure how it is legal) that Apple locks you into using the Appstore for installs. Sure there is Cydia, but you technically void your warranty to gain access. On top of that Apple tries everything in their power to lock out Cydia ever OS update they release.
    7. Drag and drop media. Why do we still use a synicing program to get something as simple as a new song on our devices? Why can't I use multiple computers to put various media onto my phone?
    8. Voice control. It's better in every way on Android, although rumors are it will get much better with iOS 5
    9. GPS. The navigation app puts to shame anything iOS has. And here's the kicker. It's FREE. It's like iOS's maps app on crack. Turn by turn, 3D renderings in many large cities, street view, all in one working together seamlessly. The closest thing iOS has is a cydia tweak to allow maps to send address data to navigon or tomtom.
    10. Call quality. I've used Android devices on Sprint and ATT. Both sounded better than any iPhone (and I have had every iPhone since launch) , with a slight advantage going to Sprint here (likley just CDMA versus GSM network differences here).
    11. Battery life seems to be a hot topic. With android you can see exactly what is draining your battery every day and nip it in the bud.

I have put an HTC EVO 4G and iPhone 4 toe to toe (have had each for more than a year). Their battery life is almost identical in moderate to heavy use with a slight advatnage going to the iPhone. Turn off widgets, or set them to update less frequently, and they are identical. The iPhone does have a far longer idle time battery life. I suppose if you like staring at your phone sitting on the desk and doing nothing with it, iPhone does truly win here. I am not one of those users who just has the phone, I actually use it, so I cannot say idle time matters much to me at all.

There are plenty of things that I enjoy better on the iPhone 4, such as browser quality, screen quality, tons of games, updates, etc. I can probably make a list as long as I did with Android. Doesn't mean there aren't areas where Android truly excels though.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 09-02-2011 at 06:25 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Save the circle home button!

Thanks

Hey guys I just noticed, the iPhone icon in iTunes under "devices" looks like this icon. I am running iTunes 10.5 beta, but I think it's the same on all of them. Check it out.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    It takes 12 seconds to jailbreak the iPhone 4.. then you get thousands upon thousands of additional customization options through Winterboard and Dreamboard and SSH and a dozen other programs. I was hoping you'd come up with something practical and functional... not just UI changes. Also each manufacturer of Android puts their specific "skin" on the UI. For example Android looks different on a Samsung vs HTC vs Motorola phone. Keep in mind you are on an iPhone HACKING site. With a simple jailbreak the iPhone can do more than any other phone on the market and without it it can do 99% of what Android can do... minus widgets which drain battery life like crazy!

Additionally your argument about customization is centered around "live" wallpaper and widgets... that's it. Doesn't seem very convincing that your Droid can do SOOOO much more than the iPhone 4. I'd rather have a static wallpaper and have 50% more battery life and widgets are cool and all but again... a huge battery drain and most people I know including myself get bored with the widgets anyway b/c they're so limited in functionality and would rather use a full featured app for mail, RSS feeds, weather, or whatever the widget may be displaying.
    One word: Agreed

This is what you translate out to: Trololololololo

my friend keeps shoving his android phone in my face saying that he can play the n64 emulator on it and i cant why cant we get the n64 emulator that runs smooth
    This is why you sound like: Trololololololololol. especially when you keep on trolling about wanting to get a "smooth" N64 Emulator.

A quote my father uses: "A beggar can't be choosey." just let that sentence sink in.
    Last edited by psp257; 09-02-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psp257 View Post
    One word: Agreed

This is why you sound like: Trololololololololol. especially when you keep on trolling about wanting to get a "smooth" N64 Emulator.

A quote my father uses: "A beggar can't be choosey." just let that sentence sink in.
    Ok? i was just stating why cant we get one how is that trolling thats asking for something if u ask me for 5 bucks and u keep asking me and asking me im not going to call u a troll i will probably think about it and decide whether to give it to you or not i am suggesting things that apple should do like giving feedback and maybe they will take it into consideration
    Trolling would be if i bash on a device i dont own i currently own an iphone 4 myself and had it since the first day im basing everything on my experience with the phone and i am making suggestions
    Last edited by matrixhunter; 09-03-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Android Boy is right. I love my iPhone 4, and have had all gens. of the iPhone and iPad. Android devises in the end give more functionality than iOS devices. Low level access is needed for alot cool things and most jailbreaks just don't give it. I prefer IOS over android but I am not blinded like most of Apples' cult like following. You can bash a persons grammar, (this is called deflection when you don't know how to respond) but at the end of the day his points are very valid. And by asking what you are asking you obviosly have never spent any time with an andoid device. Please educate yourself and your foot would never end up in your mouth. Jailbreaks are getting fewer and farther in-between, android manufacturers are unlocking the bootloaders, you can do the deductive reasoning. If you truly understand what it means. A horse with blinders only can see ahead, they only hear the footsteps of the one passing them. Chew on that.

True tech advocates try all options extensively before naming their device or o.s. of choice. I don't need anyone to explain their point of view to make up my mind.

I would never tell someone what their choice should be......everyones preference is exactly that. Doesn't mean it's the best. Opinions are like assh@les, everyone has one. My dad taught me that one.
    Last edited by oddphone20; 09-10-2011 at 04:53 AM.

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123