Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: According to Apple iTunes Match Doesn't Contain Streaming, But Still Streams

Default According to Apple iTunes Match Doesn't Contain Streaming, But Still Streams

Apparently there has a been a big misunderstanding with the entire Internets over iTunes Match and its streaming capabilities. AllThingsD posted details from a conversation with an Apple spokesperson claiming iTunes Match does not stream music.

While a video making the rounds today makes it seem as if Apple’s upcoming iTunes Match service will stream music from Apple’s servers to a user’s device, that’s not the case. An Apple spokesperson confirms that any music you want to access from your cloud-based “locker” will still need to be stored on your iPad, or iPhone, or whatever device you’re using to listen to the song.
    But, the devil is in the details, and according to MacRumors, and I agree, the details look an awful lot like a streaming music service. Traditional music streaming services work by caching only a small portion of the song at a given time, and maintain a constant connection via some sort of internet connection. As MacRumors, and the video above shows, Apple's service appears to download the entire track into a local cache once streaming begins.

People can argue that this is in fact the phone downloading the song to the iOS device's iTunes library. However, the cached song is not considered permanently downloaded and isn't counted as being in the device's music library. What is even more, in the video above, the song can be played while in Airplane Mode, but when the user switches away from the song, and then back, the device is unable to play the song. The cache has been cleared.

The reason for doing this is solely on Apple's shoulders. The deal they inked with the music labels allows them to stream music, but Apple, being the performance sticklers they are, likely doesn't trust the stability of the carrier's networks to provide enough speed and bandwidth to support a streaming music service. Apple's solution is then to download the entire track to the device, store it in a temporary cache, and provide a seamless music experience to the user.

It seems to be an issue of semantics, and despite what Apple wants to call it, iTunes Match streams music to iOS devices, albeit a little differently than traditional streaming services.

Source: AllThingsD, MacRumors

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Doesn't sound like a streaming service to me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone JonnyBoy123's Avatar
    Thanks

I can see a toggle for iCloud streaming in beta 7.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyBoy123 View Post
    I can see a toggle for iCloud streaming in beta 7.
    Could you post a screencap of that?

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post
    Could you post a screencap of that?
    I don't think he meant he can literally "see" it, I think he is saying he could see it being implemented... But maybe not!
    El Zurdo

Thanks

It's still just the beta right? Why are we not just assuming this is a temporary setup/solution/option that will be tweaked or disappear completely once this makes the jump to the final version?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    No, this is the final version. I'll be honest I'm a huge Apple fan but when I heard about this I was really concerned, the idea of streaming music directly to speakers is poor, too many variables, circumstances, etc. I'm a network engineer that builds up all of the networks around this type of solution and this is EXACTLY what they should be doing. This will work really well with the bulk of users. This also helps with storage, compression, capacity, memory use. It would seem taking the 2 steps would be more work but all they have done is compartmentalize this for use anywhere. This is both awesome and brilliant.

Dam, crapple need to install a sd card that way just plug what u want? beside this sh.t?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaLsim View Post
    Dam, crapple need to install a sd card that way just plug what u want? beside this sh.t?
    english please?