Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Readies New iPhone Challenge with Three Bada-Based Smartphones

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Samsung Readies New iPhone Challenge with Three Bada-Based Smartphones

There's no love lost between Apple and Samsung as the two tech giants continue to wage war across the smartphone battlefield. But it now appears that Samsung, at least to a small extent, is backing away from Android in order to deploy a new weapon in its arsenal - Samsung's proprietary Bada mobile OS.

This week, Samsung raised the curtain on three smartphone models that run on its own operating system "as it seeks to expand market share in the low-end segment and diversify its lineups heavily focused on Google's Android software." Interestingly enough, the new handsets will go on sale right about the time Apple's iPhone 5 is expected to drop.

On tap from the consumer electronics giant is the Wave 3, which packs a 4-inch AMOLED screen and 5 MP camera. Also forthcoming is a lower-end, more cost-effective Wave M and Wave Y. "The Wave M," Reuters reports, "will have Samsung's first instant messaging tool chatON installed and entry-level Wave Y with 3.2-inch display."

Samsung, which has enjoyed watching its Android-based Galaxy S models surge in popularity, is the world's No.2 smartphone maker as of Q2. The latest effort to roll out three new smartphones running its own platform clearly underscores the company's newfound focus on "emerging markets," which are teeming with potential buyers of lower-cost smartphones.

Similarly, Apple is believed to be readying a lower-end iPhone 4 model also designed to take hold and dominate the "emerging markets" alluded to.

Source: Reuters

Can't wait until they come out with the Bada bing and the Bada boom.

Samsung WebOS maybe, that would be dope!

Quote Originally Posted by 3dguymwm View Post
    Lol

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Will the Bada Bing use Microsoft as its primary search engine? :-)

So they are releasing handsets with an OS that has absolutley no ecosystem?

Default Big Bada Boom
    And when they release their low budget tablet they can call it the Big Bada Boom.

Now this is more like it! I applaud samsung for atleast not making ANOTHER android based phone with nothing to offer then what the other androids have thus far! I mean BB are already at the end of their lifespan as no one except hard core BB enthusiast want their devices...I'm looking forward to some real competition now
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

let the war begin, again?
    apple-V-samsung.
    iphone-V-bata-based?

Banned
    Thanks

Samsung is in no way, shape or form ready to leave Android in favor of its own OS. they are not interested in nor are they in a position to rally developers to a new OS that nobody knows anything about. they are not going to build a massive app store the way Apple and Google have.

If Samsung did any of this, they'd soon find themselves going the way of Nokia & RIM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SwatPac's Avatar
    Thanks

So funny. Everybody wants to make a proprietary OS now. WebOs (horrible name) had the best chance at raping android. I highly doubt Bada (ridiculous name) stands any chance.

I have had Iphones since the first one changed everything. They have treated me very well, but I stopped in at AT&T to kill a little time and was very impressed by the Samsung Infuse. The large screen was amazing. I am holding out to see what the next iphone is going to bring, and hoping for big changes, if not, I plan on having one of these beauties to play with.

I am actually excited to see if the iphone 5 will look like this new Samsung, i wonna see who copied who!!!!

Nobody did get to see the new iphone so far, but i have a feeling that the Bada and the new Iphone will have a lot in common design wise!!!!