+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iTunes Streaming Finally Available in iTunes Match Beta

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The iCloud announcement came and went, and with it rumors of an Apple streaming music service died. However, last night an iTunes Match Developer Beta was released, and hidden inside
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iTunes Streaming Finally Available in iTunes Match Beta

The iCloud announcement came and went, and with it rumors of an Apple streaming music service died.

However, last night an iTunes Match Developer Beta was released, and hidden inside was the ability to stream songs to the entire spectrum of iOS devices. Amazon and Google's services can't do that, and force their users to upload their entire library to the cloud track by track. Apple users can simply "Scan" their library and Apple will provide them the same song, found on Apple servers, for streaming or download. Until today, it was thought, the only way for iTunes Match users to listen to music was to download the matched music first, not stream.

iTunes Match stores your complete music library in iCloud, allowing you to enjoy your collection anywhere, anytime, on any iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, or computer. Apple
    It appears Apple has "underpromised and overdelivered" as TechCrunch's MG Siegle put it. Especially since iTunes Match scans and streams your music regardless of whether it was bought in iTunes, ripped from a CD, or torrented. Also, the songs iTunes Match recognizes will be streamed at 256kbps from Apple's master recordings, and the obscure indie-euro-electro-death metal band it doesn't recognize will be uploaded to the cloud from your library and then streamed.

It seems odd Apple waited this long to confirm, let alone mention, the iTunes Match streaming feature. They did after all spend a small fortune securing the rights to do so from the labels. Whatever their reason, for those of us willing to pay $25 a year, and who have an iTunes library worthy of an appearance on Hoarders, iTunes Match appears to be a pretty sweet deal.

Source: CNET
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 08-30-2011 at 08:51 AM.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Wonder if iCloud Match allows the matched songs to be downloaded and saved to your computer. I should, but the 'fine print' is missing. Hmmm, match existing low-kbps rips, and download 256kbps. Sweet if it does.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Wonder if iCloud Match allows the matched songs to be downloaded and saved to your computer. I should, but the 'fine print' is missing. Hmmm, match existing low-kbps rips, and download 256kbps. Sweet if it does.
    Yes, you can. I'm running it right now and it says that you can download their 256kbps version whether or not you originally bought it from the ITMS.

Whoa. Check this out though:

It replaces your library with the match service? What does that mean if you have no service? Your local library is gone and you can't stream anything? What about on flights? I guess you could turn it off on your device and sync music to your library if you know you're going to be flying, but still... I'm not sure how I'm feeling about this.
    Last edited by stevelucky; 08-30-2011 at 10:16 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevelucky View Post
    Yes, you can. I'm running it right now and it says that you can download their 256kbps version whether or not you originally bought it from the ITMS.

Whoa. Check this out though:

It replaces your library with the match service? What does that mean if you have no service? Your local library is gone and you can't stream anything? What about on flights? I guess you could turn it off on your device and sync music to your library if you know you're going to be flying, but still... I'm not sure how I'm feeling about this.
    Are you trolling? There is a feature and it allowes you to download these songs from the icloud to your device for offline experience.

Thanks

Does it download them or stream them? Why do you think he's trolling? It's not clear if it streams - in which case his was a valid question, or downloads.

Mac and USA only so I lose on both counts

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    If you would have watched the keynote, you would know the answer to your question. There was no "fine print". Steve Jobs clearly said that it would match songs that weren't purchased through iTunes. Those songs that are not in the iTunes catalog, would be uploaded to your iCloud account for downloading to your other devices.And yes, low kb/s rips will be upgraded to 256kb/s

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    If you would have watched the keynote, you would know the answer to your question. There was no "fine print". Steve Jobs clearly said that it would match songs that weren't purchased through iTunes. Those songs that are not in the iTunes catalog, would be uploaded to your iCloud account for downloading to your other devices.And yes, low kb/s rips will be upgraded to 256kb/s
    Thanks, but I'll wait for the written terms and conditions. Every agreement has 'fine print'.

Thanks

This looks AWESOME can't wait to check it out!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wohhey View Post
    Are you trolling? There is a feature and it allowes you to download these songs from the icloud to your device for offline experience.
    What the hell are you talking about? I'm running the iTunes Match and I'm just learning that by doing so, it apparently replaces your local device library with iTunes Match (a streaming service). That seems like a pretty important detail that was never mentioned. I can think of several scenarios where this would be less than ideal, to put it mildly. That's really nice that I can download these tracks to my device for offline listening, but how does that work? Does that mean that everytime I'm going to go offline, I need to pre-emptively download tracks to my device? What happens if I am not able to prepare for that in advance, i.e. - I end up going offline without notice?

Side note: It seems that now that some people think they know what trolling is, they're eager to accuse everyone of it. It's a little annoying.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

If it's anything like Spotify then yes you will have to sync your tracks for offline use in advance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Well, I'll report back as soon as iTunes finishes matching all my songs. It's almost there...

iPhone? More like MyPhone back9player's Avatar
    Thanks

are people dumb? seriously...

if you realize the nature of the service, then simply be prepared and d/l songs for offline use. all it takes is a basic understanding of the service.

if you go offline and you haven't synced your songs, then you're an idiot. plain and simple.

Thanks
    What the hell are you talking about? I'm running the iTunes Match and I'm just learning that by doing so, it apparently replaces your local device library with iTunes Match (a streaming service). That seems like a pretty important detail that was never mentioned. I can think of several scenarios where this would be less than ideal, to put it mildly. That's really nice that I can download these tracks to my device for offline listening, but how does that work? Does that mean that everytime I'm going to go offline, I need to pre-emptively download tracks to my device? What happens if I am not able to prepare for that in advance, i.e. - I end up going offline without notice?

Side note: It seems that now that some people think they know what trolling is, they're eager to accuse everyone of it. It's a little annoying.
    Why would you use a service you know so little about? It only takes a few minutes to read.

You have the option of either downloading a song to be stored locally or stream the song from itunes. You can choose each individual song whether you want it stored locally or just streaming.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kolder View Post
    Why would you use a service you know so little about? It only takes a few minutes to read.

You have the option of either downloading a song to be stored locally or stream the song from itunes. You can choose each individual song whether you want it stored locally or just streaming.
    Trust me, I've read up. Show me where it says that it will replace my local device music library. When I have songs on my device and the service says that it's removing them, I find that a little surprising. Come on, expert, show me where it says that.

Thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks

Sorry, wrong quote.

Thanks

It definitely looks like it streams. See it in action here: http://vimeo.com/28367617. I'm still trying to get it up and running. It's taking a LOOOONG time (It only identified a little over 4000 of my 16000 songs. It's currently uploading the rest).
    Last edited by stevelucky; 08-30-2011 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 778 Posts

^ LOL, I didn't even know 16,000 songs existed! ;-)

Thanks

It definitely looks like it streams. See it in action here: Airplane Mode With iTunes Match & iCloud on Vimeo. I'm still trying to get it up and running. It's taking a LOOOONG time (It only identified a little over 4000 of my 16000 songs. It's currently uploading the rest).
    Considering the behavior of "what happens when I hit a song with airplane mode on" is different under nearly the same circumstances (first from playing normally, then to pushing straight back to menu, then trying to load all other songs from that album unsuccessfully), my gut feeling says that video is demonstrating a bug...

The ultimate test would be: take a jailbroken iPhone, and install Bigboss Dev Tools on it (specifically netstat). Run netstat via SSH, and initiate an iCloud download. Note all IPs on the system. Reboot, re-open the SSH session, and play that same song again.

If the phone connects to the same or a very similar external IP on the second play, it's streaming from Apple. If it doesn't, the file is local (or just cached locally but my bet is that cache is wiped on a reboot).

EDIT: Whoops, source article issued a retraction: just downloads, no streaming.
    Last edited by Orby; 08-31-2011 at 12:33 AM.

Thanks

iTunes is currently uploading the remainder of my songs that it couldn't find via the Match service. I was monitoring my bandwidth via Little Snitch and I saw this:

Is that weird that iTunes is connecting to Amazon's servers? Surely they're not hosting any music there. Maybe it's for album artwork or something. Any thoughts?