+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Judge Bans Sale of Galaxy S Phones in Europe

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple has struck another blow to the gut of Samsung's mobile division. A Dutch judge awarded Apple a preliminary injunction preventing the sale of Samsung Galaxy S phones in Europe.
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Judge Bans Sale of Galaxy S Phones in Europe

Apple has struck another blow to the gut of Samsung's mobile division. A Dutch judge awarded Apple a preliminary injunction preventing the sale of Samsung Galaxy S phones in Europe.

The ban covers three phones and would take effect October 15 in the Netherlands, Ireland, the UK, Switzerland, Germany, and Sweden. The ban wont extend to other EU member states as Apple failed to pay the administrative costs needed to make the patent valid in those countries according to FOSS Patents. Also, missing from the ban is Samsung's Galaxy Tab tablets, a small win for Samsung.

The court ordered ban of sales does more than cutoff sales in those countries, it successfully dirupts Samsung's ability to ship their phones to neighboring countries. A major hub in Samsung's distribution network is the Netherlands, Samsung now must find alternate routes, or ship the devices directly to neighboring countries not mentioned in the ban.

It appears Apple's ability to patent everything that iPhone does from the device's physical appearance to user interface is going to pay off handsomely. However, the injunction only covers infringments made by Android 2.3, the companies would simply need to load their phones with Android 3.0 to null the injunction.

Source: FOSS Patents
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 08-24-2011 at 12:37 PM.

Thanks

Stupid games

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fatalcrixer View Post
    Stupid games
    I agree 100%...
    Live Wire

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

For anyone that says this is stupid please let us know what YOU have invented, hold patents on and are trying to protect. If your answer is none then you have no right to pass judgement.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    For anyone that says this is stupid please let us know what YOU have invented, hold patents on and are trying to protect. If your answer is none then you have no right to pass judgement.
    You know what is stupid? The sensational opening paragraph of the post. "A blow to the gut" huh? Samsung is confident since all they have to do is remove the Gallery App which infriges on the patent. Easy.

But I guess it is easier to sensationalize to get an audience than to report the entire story.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I guess car makers better start sueing each other for using disc brakes, steering wheels, car radios, car seats, ect ect. Not only just the car industry but every industry. Apple are bunch of baby's and can't take the pressure of other competitors in the same market. Also do you really think that Apple had no part in getting the injunction. All it takes is enough cash and your set. I know I don't hold any patents but look around you and see how many things look alike and each branded with different company names. Enough said.
    Last edited by XFaega; 08-24-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

[Update] Judge: Only the Gallery Infringement Claim is Valid, Samsung Will Continue to Sell Phones Pending Application Update. [Update] Judge: Only the Gallery Infringement Claim is Valid, Samsung Will Continue to Sell Phones Pending Application Update

Thanks

Patent wars are stupid to begin with, rather than innovate and bring products which attract customers, companies like Apple and others would rather sue competitors in order to block their products from reaching an audience of those looking for alternatives. Even more ridiculous is when Apple falsifies information about the competitors' products they claim infringes on theirs, for example, changing image ratios of the Samsung Galaxy S, Galaxy S II, and Galaxy Tablets on the report in order for Samsung's products to be scaled in a way to look more like Apple iPhones and iPads.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

So is Apple just gonna go from country to country until they get what they want?

It appears Apple's ability to patent everything that iPhone does from the device's physical appearance to user interface is going to pay off handsomely.
    That's whats wrong. Apple should not have been given patents for so much generic crap that has been implemented for years. But money talks, and the patent officers are probably sitting on thick brown envelopes.

I still don't understand why Samsung is the sole target. LG Prada (2006) "looks" like an iPhone, every digital photo frame "looks" like an iPad. I'm delighted the Judge has told Apple their "Slide to Unlock" argument and 9 other arguments are invalid. Maybe this judge can't be bought.

The idea and design of iPhones and iPads isn't Apple's doing. The idea and design of such devices are decades old.

If you can't handle the competition....then sue I guess.
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 08-24-2011 at 02:09 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nicksti View Post
    You know what is stupid? The sensational opening paragraph of the post. "A blow to the gut" huh? Samsung is confident since all they have to do is remove the Gallery App which infriges on the patent. Easy.

But I guess it is easier to sensationalize to get an audience than to report the entire story.
    +1

Thanks

i said it before let me say it again once ios5 is out android and blackberry will sue the **** out of apple im so glad i sold my iphone and got a android so much better and apple knows it the reason it goes after samsung is because they are partners and that samsung has the biggest and best phone right now suing and blocking only makes apple look even more scared ios5 is way behind other software. removed
    Last edited by Simon; 08-24-2011 at 03:33 PM.
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickybobby View Post
    i said it before let me say it again once ios5 is out android and blackberry will sue the **** out of apple im so glad i sold my iphone and got a android so much better and apple knows it the reason it goes after samsung is because they are partners and that samsung has the biggest and best phone right now suing and blocking only makes apple look even more scared ios5 is way behind other software removed
    very mature text... go play with your android somewhere else.
    Last edited by Simon; 08-24-2011 at 03:33 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

If you can't beat them then sue them. That should be Apples motto.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

lol. Blow to the gut? This is a speed bump for Samsung....nothing more. And I wouldn't call the exclusion of the Galaxy Tab a "small win".....that's a very significant win considering what Apple was shooting for.

Typical fanboy post trying to over-glorify every win for Apple and under-glorify wins by anyone else.
    Last edited by RICO_; 08-24-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wohhey View Post
    very mature text... go play with your android somewhere else.
    oh i will go play with my android with all of the nice specs and hardware apple will take years to include and like a true apple fanboi u will wait i was once blind now i see im not dissing apple im just saying stop suing and start innovating
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickybobby View Post
    oh i will go play with my android with all of the nice specs and hardware apple will take years to include and like a true apple fanboi u will wait i was once blind now i see im not dissing apple im just saying stop suing and start innovating
    agree! :d

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Funny thing is the gallery app is stock Android.