+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: Apple Readying New Cheap 8GB iPhone 4

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
According to Reuters Apple is readying a cheaper 8GB iPhone 4 to deploy in growing markets. The move is an effort to increase or maintain the enormous growth Apple has
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Readying New Cheap 8gb iPhone 4

According to Reuters Apple is readying a cheaper 8GB iPhone 4 to deploy in growing markets.

The move is an effort to increase or maintain the enormous growth Apple has experienced in the mobile field by taking advantage of growing markets in China and other developing nations. The Apple market space has always entailed high-margin, high-priced electronic devices. These cheaper iPhone 4s may sacrifice a small portion of Apple's high profit margins in order to gain market share in these emerging markets.

A lower-priced version of iPhone 4 seems to be a necessary evil at this point in the iPhone adoption cycle, especially in emerging markets where the average income of individuals is much lower. - Channing SMith, co-manager of Capital Advisors Growth Fund.
    Other market analysts echo the same sentiment that Apple "needs" to produce a cheaper iPhone to compete with the likes of Nokia and other phone manufacturers who produce cheaper products. Apple's Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook recognizes the growth potential in China, but whether Apple must sacrifice their love affair with high profit margins in order to gain a foothold in China and other markets has yet to be seen.

While the analysts are right in predicting that Apple will need a cheaper device to lure less affluent buyers in these markets, saying that it could have an adverse effect on profit margins ignores Apple's purchasing power and commitment to profit margins. Apple, if they do produce a cheaper iPhone 4, wont do so until the iPhone 5 comes out, allowing the latest and greatest technology to continue to be sold at a premium. Second, the smaller capacity means cheaper memory components, and Apple's purchasing power means cheaper prices of all other components. Also, the fact that all of the iPhone 4s components are already readily available will make the device even cheaper to produce as factories have already been pumping out millions of iPhone 4s over the last year and a half.

All of this equates to a cheaper iPhone 4, capable of everything its more expensive, brethren are. More importantly the cost of producing this unit has been driven down enough that Apple can sell it at a perceived "cheap" price, and still maintain their industry leading profit margins.

Source: Reuters

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Not gonna happen.

Probably the same people who said Apple "needs" to produce cheaper Macs. Look at Apple now, rolling in money.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Not gonna happen.

Probably the same people who said Apple "needs" to produce cheaper Macs. Look at Apple now, rolling in money.
    Conversely, I think it's as good as done.

The 3GS (8 GB) is the number-two handset by sales is the US--at $49 USD. It makes all kinds of sense for Apple to switch from the 3GS to the 4 as the "backup" when the 5 hits the market, like the switch from the 3G to the 3GS for the secondary model when the 4 launched. They'd be gutting their own sales if they didn't.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 667 Posts

Just cant see myself paying 49.99 for the phone and getting locked into a 2 yrs contract The price isnt bad! Just that 2yr contract deal, maybe a 1yr wouldnt be to bad but damn 2yrs???

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Apple doesn't "need" to do anything considering they rake in 66% of all mobile profits. Unless they can continue to make a /substantial/ profit they won't produce a product. Apple doesn't want to compete in the low end phone market. I could see them selling an 8GB iPhone 4 for $99 or maybe $129.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Not gonna happen.

They certainly aren't rolling in money due to mac sales. Had they not come up with the ipod/iPhone line they may very well have needed to produce cheaper macs to stay afloat.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

It's a bit hard for me to see this happening although it makes perfect sense...

I can understand apple wanting to keep the i4 sales up by making a "cheaper" version when the 5 drops but then what about the 3GS? If it's the # 2 mobile handset then they would have to sell the i4 around 100 bucks(2yr contract) and the 3GS stays the same for the price to be justifiable. So itd be hard to spend 50 bucks for the 3GS When you can spend just 50 more bucks and you have a much better phone. More ram, FaceTime, sleek new design, higher res cam, etc;It's definitely going to be interesting what apple does because I know they don't want to get rid of the 3GS if it's the #2 mobile handset.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Apple doesn't "need" to do anything considering they rake in 66% of all mobile profits. Unless they can continue to make a /substantial/ profit they won't produce a product. Apple doesn't want to compete in the low end phone market. I could see them selling an 8GB iPhone 4 for $99 or maybe $129.
    My guest is crapple made too much (I)sh.t that they R will sell it at all cause,But make it a good 1 so people can sign their life N $$$ to them