+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WSJ: Sprint to Offer The iPhone 5 in October

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Sprint will offer the iPhone 5 beginning this October, when the 5th generation handset is expected to debut. The iPhone, which spent nearly
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default WSJ: Sprint to Offer The iPhone 5 in October

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Sprint will offer the iPhone 5 beginning this October, when the 5th generation handset is expected to debut. The iPhone, which spent nearly four years as an exclusive AT&T property in the US, has only been available on the Verizon network (iPhone 4 only) since early 2011.

Keep in mind, this report is coming from the WSJ - not a haven for false rumor-mongering. If real - and this is the most compelling suggestion so far that the iPhone is coming to Sprint - it will prove a monumental development for the third largest mobile carrier in the US.

Sprint Nextel Corp. will begin selling the iPhone 5 in mid-October, people familiar with the matter said, closing a huge hole in the No. 3 U.S. carrier's lineup and giving Apple Inc. another channel for selling its popular phone.
    Not surprisingly, Verizon and AT&T are expected to still lead the way in the domestic iPhone market, but Sprint's 52 million subscribers will certainly make a dent in the overall market share controlled by AT&T and Verizon. At present, 106 million Americans are with Verizon and AT&T is closing in with 99 million as of this writing.

Source: WSJ

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If this is true Sprint will have a new customer in me!!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've been seeing the commercials about their prices and if there is no trickery I'm down to switch. I got AT&T and for 400 min and 1500 night and weekends and 1500 text I'm paying 130 bucks, idk how its happening but my bill comes home and it sucks. So I'm hoping Sprint gets the iPhone for i can weigh my options

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I might have to head over to Sprint too! I been out of contact for the past two years and I'm tired of buying the iPhone at full retail price just to end up playing the same monthly bill as everyone else on contract!

iPhone? More like MyPhone maddawg05's Avatar
    Thanks

Doesn't sprint have 4G? How's their data plan? Uses to have sprints years ago for $99 unlimited everything.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,657 Times in 697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PRKnight View Post
    I've been seeing the commercials about their prices and if there is no trickery I'm down to switch. I got AT&T and for 400 min and 1500 night and weekends and 1500 text I'm paying 130 bucks, idk how its happening but my bill comes home and it sucks. So I'm hoping Sprint gets the iPhone for i can weigh my options
    Damn you need to talk to someone then!! i'm paying 130 month for 2 phones. Unlimited texting on both and unlimited internet on my iPhone 4, 700 min family nationwide plan with unlimited night and weekends. should call CS and ask whats up? Seriously tho call ask and CS so questions. When i call i ask questions and they tell me about new changes or new stuff they have added, and whats best for my plan and whats more cost effective for my needs.

Thanks

if they get the iphone 5 they wont have unlimited anymore or it just wont be offered to iphone customers at all.. that will be baceause apple will make them set it up that way.
    so the only thing would be SOME 4G but jumping ship if your are still in contract will be very stupid unless your just made of money ..

i think every carrier should have the device just like all the dumb as$ androids

let everyone enjoy the device

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Sprint's data is slow. Yes they have 4G, but the best thing about it is latency. If you happen to be living where 4G is available, that's great. They haven't expanded their 4G map in over a year. I tried their service for a year with an HTC EVO. Loved the phone, hated the terrible slow data. Voice was great (better than ATT IMO), but as little as we use voice, that is not a deal maker or breaker for me. We drove from SoCal to central Iowa and back this last summer, so I have decent knowledge of Sprint coverage in various states.

Nonetheless, the more carriers that get the iPhone, the better. Competition is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by g12007 View Post
    if they get the iphone 5 they wont have unlimited anymore or it just wont be offered to iphone customers at all.. that will be baceause apple will make them set it up that way.
    so the only thing would be SOME 4G but jumping ship if your are still in contract will be very stupid unless your just made of money ..

i think every carrier should have the device just like all the dumb as$ androids

Apple has no reason whatsoever to do this. I am certain you have no clue what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg05 View Post
    Doesn't sprint have 4G? How's their data plan? Uses to have sprints years ago for $99 unlimited everything.
    Right now, it's $79.99 with *almost* unlimited everything. Basically you still use minutes (out of 450) making land line calls on weekdays during the day. If you need unlimited voice, you can add that for $99 total.

Their ETF is also the cheapest in the business right now. They used to have yearly upgrades but canned that early this year. I wonder if that was preemptive for the iPhone. I do believe if you spend over $100/mo (or are a 10 year + customer) you still get yearly upgrades on your main line.

Gold Level

A gold level member will receive 25% off the purchase of 2 or more accessories, customer news letters, “just because” perks, first to buy offers, and the ability to upgrade one device after 12 months of service. To qualify for a Premier Gold membership, users must have an individual monthly plan costing $89.99 or more or a family plan costing $169.99 (before any applicable discounts)
    Last edited by sziklassy; 08-23-2011 at 03:07 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Why would Apple dictate date plans for carriers? That makes no sense. Apple's profits are from hardware sales... not data plans.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

sziklassy (08-23-2011)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'll bet you anything that as soon as Iphone hits Sprint, they will change everything like no more unlimited data, probably charge higher rates. I call it the iphone curse.

just wait....you'll see!!!!

but if there's that slimmest chance that they will retain their prices and truly offer unlimited data then they will have a guaranteed customer.
    Last edited by swifty7; 08-23-2011 at 03:42 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me NSXrebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PRKnight View Post
    Yeah, you need to call CS. You're paying almost twice as much as I am for basically the same plan. I have the 450 Anytime Minutes, $30 Unlimited Data, $10 1000 texts, for $70/month.

Quit spewing ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Why would Apple dictate date plans for carriers? That makes no sense. Apple's profits are from hardware sales... not data plans.
    'Cuz he's... well, yeah...

iPhone? More like MyPhone maddawg05's Avatar
    Thanks

Damn I need to call CS too because I'm paying $169 for unlimited text and unlimited data on 2 iPhone with unlimited calls to any mobile carrier and 700 minutes landlines and of course unlimited nights/weekends.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

ddint know that sprint and verizon had the same frequenices

AT&T FrequenciesAT&T operates its calling network on the 850Mhz GSM frequency, although some very select and remote areas still operate under the company's old 1900Mhz system. AT&T 3G data is run on the 1900Mhz frequency, with some of its data network backbones being converted to 850Mhz.

T-Mobile Calling FrequenciesT-Mobile operates its calling network on the 1900Mhz GSM spectrum. The T-Mobile 3G data network operates on the 1700 AWS spectrum.

Verizon WIreless Calling FrequenciesVerizon operates its calling network on the 850 and 1900mhz frequencies. Its EVDO (3G) data network also operates on the same 800mhz spectrum found on its calling network.

Sprint Calling FrequenciesSprint Wireless operates on the CDMA 1900Mhz Spectrum. Sprint's EVDO (3G) data network also operates on the 1900Mhz spectrum.

Phone Frequency Geographical ConsiderationsIn the United States the two frequencies used for calling abilities are 850mhz and 1900mhz, both on GSM and CDMA networks. Typical 3G networks also include 850 and 1900Mhz options, although T-Mobile operates its 3G network on the new 1700 AWS spectrum.

Read more: What Frequencies Do Cell Phone Carriers Use? | eHow.com What Frequencies Do Cell Phone Carriers Use? | eHow.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg05 View Post
    Damn I need to call CS too because I'm paying $169 for unlimited text and unlimited data on 2 iPhone with unlimited calls to any mobile carrier and 700 minutes landlines and of course unlimited nights/weekends.
    Actually tho that sounds about right, I have that same plan and eveything, only diff is not having the 2nd Iphone with 30.00 unlimited internet. If my friend had iphone with that, my bill would be about 160ish month.

Green Apple
    Thanks

If AT&T Don't Come Out With A Newer Cheaper Unlimited Plan I'm Taking My iPhone To Sprint, I Still Have The Old Unlimited Data Plan But My Fam Don't So They Better Sweeten Up The Deal Alil

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DeathOfLife View Post
    If AT&T Don't Come Out With A Newer Cheaper Unlimited Plan I'm Taking My iPhone To Sprint, I Still Have The Old Unlimited Data Plan But My Fam Don't So They Better Sweeten Up The Deal Alil
    Looks like your going to Sprint then. ATT isnt going to come out with another unlimited plan, let alone make it cheaper?? LMAO

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Woohooo I'm ready to quit ATT another lost client here...

Thanks

Dropping Att like it's hot, in October then.

Thanks

I can definitely see this happening one way or the other.

Thanks

If this is true i'll be first in line at my local sprint store