+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Accused of Selling Refurbished iPhones as New in China

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Finally a refreshing change of pace in the never-ending saga of Apple litigation. Apple is being sued by six Beijing residents who claim Apple sold them refurbished iPhones as new.
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Accused of Selling Refurbished iPhones as New in China

Finally a refreshing change of pace in the never-ending saga of Apple litigation. Apple is being sued by six Beijing residents who claim Apple sold them refurbished iPhones as new.

The first two of the six Beijing plaintiffs, noticed something was amiss when they checked the warranty terms on their brand new iPhones and found it to be far less than the standard year. They returned to the Apple store, but weren't satisfied when Apple employees only offered to replace their iPhones without any other form of compensation. The two unsatisfied customers promptly contacted Wang Hai, a consumer advocate and lawyer notable for his reputation in fighting against counterfeit goods.

The refurbished-as-new practice is another example of the rampant piracy and consumer fraud that occurs regularly in China, however it is surprising this would occur at official Apple stores. The original two plaintiffs have been joined by four others who had similar experiences involving the purchase of refurbished iPhones sold as new. If a report from the Guangzhou Daily is correct in its suggestion that refurbished iPhones are being sold as new in stores throughout the region, there may be a lot more disgruntled iPhone customers joining the lawsuit.

Source: TUAW
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 08-18-2011 at 09:59 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple will win this lawsuit too.... as usual

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I smell a cheap out-of-court Apple settlement and a quick resolution. Still doesn't speak to highly of Apple though.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Phillip, what do you mean when you say, "Finally a refreshing change of pace in the never-ending saga of Apple litigate?"

Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post
    Of coarse they will win. Most company's, no matter who they are would win a ridiculous case like this. It has nothing to do with who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    I smell a cheap out-of-court Apple settlement and a quick resolution. Still doesn't speak to highly of Apple though.
    LOL, thats an interesting point of view!
    Last edited by mustard05; 08-18-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks

Would not surprise me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    Phillip, what do you mean when you say, "Finally a refreshing change of pace in the never-ending saga of Apple litigate?"

Of coarse they will win. Most company's, no matter who they are would win a ridiculous case like this. It has nothing to do with who you are.

LOL, thats an interesting point of view!
    What's so ridiculous about it? Wouldn't you want a brand new phone?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post
    why? because they'll forge the evidence like they did in the case against Samsung?

iPhone? More like MyPhone hapishyguy's Avatar
    Thanks

What else you expect from apple. But like other lawsuits they will win this too. Apple must be bribing good!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    You hit it right on the head with that one. And we will be the ones paying for it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blinden76 View Post
    What's so ridiculous about it? Wouldn't you want a brand new phone?
    Every time I bought an I phone,(2-3G's, 1-3G's, and 3-4g's). They were wrapped in plastic. They were new, at least to my knowledge.

Look, people try to sue companies all the time. This article is BS

Quote Originally Posted by g12007 View Post
    You hit it right on the head with that one. And we will be the ones paying for it
    How would we pay for it?

Thanks

That would piss me right off iPhones are expensive enough not to have apple flog refurbed ones as new!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hapishyguy View Post
    What else you expect from apple. But like other lawsuits they will win this too. Apple must be bribing good!
    So why your saying is you don't trust Apple, or the notion that all of their products are new?

I expect products that work great with there other products and that serve their purpose well. That's why I buy them. I care less about their lawsuits. They have a lot of money on hand, lawsuits are expected.

Quote Originally Posted by manickbarry View Post
    That would piss me right off iPhones are expensive enough not to have apple flog refurbed ones as new!!!
    I agree. That would make me upset as well. However, I doubt the validity of the claim. Just a Lawer and a few individuals trying to get their 5 minutes is all this is.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hapishyguy View Post
    Don't jump to conclusion too soon. Apple is dealing with China here, where the whole country is based on fake, steal, corruption and anything for a quick buck. It could be someone swapped the new one with a refurbished or used one and resealed as new then sold it to the fake Apple "smartstore".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tegieng View Post
    Don't jump to conclusion too soon. Apple is dealing with China here, where the whole country is based on fake, steal, corruption and anything for a quick buck. It could be someone swapped the new one with a refurbished or used one and resealed as new then sold it to the fake Apple "smartstore".
    Thank you for posting a post worth reading. I agree, but unfortunately many people won't see it that way. Thanks again for the post.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I seriously doubt that Apple can win this one, unless this was at one of the knock off stores in China.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    I seriously doubt that Apple can win this one, unless this was at one of the knock off stores in China.
    Really guy? You do realize if this was Apples doing, there would be more than 6 people filling suit. 100 million i phone 4's sold and 6 people SUPPOSEDLY got refurbished phones? 6 people in China of all places! LOL, this isn't a case, its a joke!
    Last edited by mustard05; 08-18-2011 at 12:47 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Seriously people, you think that Apple, a 400 billion dollars company, would do this for a few buck profit? How stupid it is if Apple did that? Ask yourself would you do that if you were in Apple position? It's like a billionaire who still want to have a garage sale every weekend for a few dollars. Such a joke.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think this is a case where the store employees were trying to make an extra dollar selling refurbs as new and pocketing the extra cash. While they still represent apple this isnt the image apple is known for. I think this is an isolated incident that will be handled quickly and quietly.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    Look, people try to sue companies all the time. This article is BS
    Simple to prove, bring receipt showing what he purchased at full retail NEW price. Don't know about you but when I buy my iPhone the receipt has all the data of the phone on there, if the receipt matches the phone then Apple would be screwed...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i bet all 6 of those plaintiffs have houses full of bootleg crap, thats what they get over there for accepting pirated and bootleg everything as ok