+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 100 Million iPhones Could Ship By Years End

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Stop and think about that headline for a moment. Apple's grand total number of iPhones shipped during 2011 could reach 100 million units. What else sells that much anything in
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 100 Million iPhones Could Ship By Years End

Stop and think about that headline for a moment. Apple's grand total number of iPhones shipped during 2011 could reach 100 million units.

What else sells that much anything in a year? Bananas? Individual Skittles?

Shipping that many units doesn't guarantee sales of that many units, but even so, what other industry that deals in electronics does those kind of numbers? Record labels in their heyday were happy shipping 5-10 million units world wide. Now labels are lucky if an Artist's album goes gold (500,000 copies).

A better comparison would probably be video game consoles. The best selling console of all time, the Playstation 2, took 5 years to reach 100 million units sold, and as of this year has sold 150 million units in its lifetime. Apple, this year alone, will ship nearly 100 million phones and they aren't cheap at $200 with a contract, and more than three times that without one.

Even though thats an unfair comparison, not everyone needs a video game console, the point is we'll all be there to buy the next iPhone, and the next one after that. Man I should have bought some Apple stock back in 2007.

Source: Digitimes

Thanks

Wow wow wow wow
    pain & time and glory

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow...that is quite an achievement for Apple. However, I'm sure Android will be able to match that after 4 years since it's launch
    Last edited by iPod; 08-16-2011 at 05:36 PM. Reason: perfection..

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Neat.

Everyone needs a new cell phone glad I can't say the same for the latest nickel back album.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

First thing that pops into my mind is McDonalds SOLD numbers (not shipped) back in the 80's before McDonalds really started selling globally.
    Anyways I am switching to Android device when my contract is up, so I would not be with Apple's statistics.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    Wow...that is quite an achievement for Apple. However, I'm sure Android will be able to match that after 4 years since it's launch
    What you fail to consider with that comment is that there are a dozen or so companies that load android onto their phones competing against a single company.. Apple. See if HTC or Samsung or LG is shipping even a few million of their top device in a single year.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 08-16-2011 at 05:51 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^^That may change a little because Google acquired Motorola, hopefully Motorola Mobile can make a hardware that will maximize android potential.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    What you fail to consider with that comment is that there are a dozen or so companies that load android onto their phones competing against a single company.. Apple. See if HTC or Samsung or LG is shipping even a few million of their top device in a single year.
    Ah, you've got a great point there. Thanks!

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks
    Thanked 3,808 Times in 2,187 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brbortscheller View Post
    I used to love this site. But then it got updated, etc. now it's harder to use. And there are new writers...I used to read each topic top-to-bottom, but now I don't because the stories are nothing big. Just small stuff that shouldn't really be written stories on. Only things that really matter. Please get the old Modmyi.com reputation back!
    Stay on topic if you have a concern pm a mod or site owners to express your opinion please
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    ^^That may change a little because Google acquired Motorola, hopefully Motorola Mobile can make a hardware that will maximize android potential.

Is the hardware currently available holding the Android OS back?

Thanks

That's an amazing number I don't care what anybody says.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 588 Posts

Same applies when comparing Mac and PC sales
    Seems like other companies like to have other companies build products using there products where as apple like to build products using their own products
    It may lower the sales but there's more income in total and I guess they feel special being the only phone /computer with that OS etc.

What I find funny is that companies like Sony will build a windows computer when Microsoft is still pretty much there sworn enemy

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Ah ya, apple stock in 07. My boss at work asked me back then if I knew of a decent stock he could put his money on, I quickly said APPLE! Not sure, I think It was like $95 a share then. He never told me how much money he put in, but in January of this year he handed me a personal check for 5k!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brbortscheller View Post
    I used to love this site. But then it got updated, etc. now it's harder to use. And there are new writers...I used to read each topic top-to-bottom, but now I don't because the stories are nothing big. Just small stuff that shouldn't really be written stories on. Only things that really matter. Please get the old Modmyi.com reputation back!
    I thin skygrid delivers better info on apple.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    Which Andriod phone are you talking about? Are you talking about just one single phone, or many of the phones running Android? Cause I'm pretty sure there is only one iPhone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

They do sometimes. Sammy sold tons (a couple million iirc) of Galaxy S II devices within it's first month of sales overseas this year.

My iPhone is a Part of Me LoringStudios's Avatar
    Thanks

That... is a ridiculous amount of phones. Maybe Old Steve can loan the US government some money afterwards.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LoringStudios View Post
    That... is a ridiculous amount of phones. Maybe Old Steve can loan the US government some money afterwards.
    We can only hope my friend.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brianiino View Post
    Which Andriod phone are you talking about? Are you talking about just one single phone, or many of the phones running Android? Cause I'm pretty sure there is only one iPhone.
    Huh? I could have sworn there's multiple iPhones; four to exact! You probably was born yesterday so I'll list them for you...
    1. iPhone (2007)
    2. iPhone 3G (2008)
    3. iPhone 3Gs (2009)
    4. iPhone 4 (2010)