+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Suspicious Pics Suggest 4G LTE Network Equipment is Hitting Apple Retail Stores

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Fewer than 24 hours after MMi reported that Apple's iPhone carriers are believed to be actively testing a 4G-capable prototype of a future generation handset, curious images have surfaced to
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Suspicious Pics Suggest 4G LTE Network Equipment is Hitting Apple Retail Stores

Fewer than 24 hours after MMi reported that Apple's iPhone carriers are believed to be actively testing a 4G-capable prototype of a future generation handset, curious images have surfaced to suggest that AT&T is installing 4G LTE network equipment in various Apple retail stores, just weeks before Apple is expected to release the iPhone 5.

The images published with the initial report have since been removed at the request of the tipster providing the information. We will honor the request as well and not show the images. However, yours truly has seen them and they are thought-provoking to say the least.

Although there remains scant evidence to support the suspicion that the 5th generation iPhone will deliver LTE compatibility, the new images are raising eyebrows and sparking rampant speculation across the tech blogosphere, particularly among those who hope Apple has a 4G bombshell planned for the iPhone 5.

"Now we've received the image you see above," Engadget reported Tuesday before pulling the image, "which shows some 4G LTE equipment that was recently installed in a major Apple store -- by AT&T, according to our source. Making things somewhat more interesting is the equipment itself, one piece of which supports only the 700MHz and AWS bands -- both of which AT&T plans to use for its LTE network if the T-Mobile acquisition goes through."

What does it all mean? Well, taking today's news into consideration along with BGR's report Monday about the supposed testing of an iPhone that supports 4G LTE, perhaps Apple will deliver a 4G bombshell this fall after all.

Source: Engadget

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I still don't believe we are getting a 4G iPhone this go around....it just seems to uncharacteristic of Apple being that 4G/LTE isn't really that widespread yet.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    I still don't believe we are getting a 4G iPhone this go around....it just seems to uncharacteristic of Apple being that 4G/LTE isn't really that widespread yet.
    I don't see why people are clamoring for 4G tech. From the sounds of it 3G speeds in the U.S. aren't that good, what makes people think the Carriers will deliver good 4G speeds?

I get a consistent 5MB/s - 7MB/s on 3G, not really a need for faster speeds on a phone.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    I don't see why people are clamoring for 4G tech. From the sounds of it 3G speeds in the U.S. aren't that good, what makes people think the Carriers will deliver good 4G speeds?

I get a consistent 5MB/s - 7MB/s on 3G, not really a need for faster speeds on a phone.
    For the same reason people stand in line for the latest iPhone. They don't know why they want it, all they know is it is the latest and the greatest so they must have it. Don't even do research if there is a LTE coverage in their area, they just got to get it... Have fun with a device that have the ability but can not use it!!!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

It's all about the latency son! (for me anyway)

In all seriousness, I don't get the issues people are having. We may not get 7MBPS on 3g, but I do consistently get 2-5, depending on the time of day. Even at 2 (or slightly less), I can't want much more speed on my mobile.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,640 Posts

Here in Canada, Rogers network will be running LTE ( Long Term Evolution ) this September .

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Actually Verizon's 4G speeds are lightning fast over 15 Mbps.

I think apple needs to implement 4G support to the next iPhone or at least make it available in order to keep up with the competition of new 4G phones being released

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Actually what apple needs to do is allow cutomization like android has with there software to keep up with the times we need to be able to customize without jailbreaking

Green Apple
    Thanks

At least people in Mobile, Alabama won't have to worry about not having 4G!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    Actually Verizon's 4G speeds are lightning fast over 15 Mbps.
    And they will likely be that way until hoards of 4G phones are launched. I remember when 3G was blazing fast on all networks. This was just before every phone on the market became 3G capable.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mysterion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Verizon's 4G LTE speeds ARE blazing fast
    iPhone 4 Verizon

Untethered jailbroken w/ Sn0wbreeze

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default correction for Mb/s MB/s

I think you're mistaking Mb with MB which in fact are COMPLETELY different.

If you talk in terms of 5 megabytes to 7 megabytes per second, that's a 50Mbps fiber optic internet speed in a residents home. You're downloading 1-2 songs PER second at v0 quality with that speed.

In my area with 3G (Los Angeles), I'm lucky if I get a consistent 3-5 Mbps on my 3G with AT&T. I'm really looking forward to 4G LTE as I will have to rely less on Wi-Fi connectivity for a fast connection.

Thanks

thats BS cant show the pixs now?? so you want all this rumor traffic on your site and cant even leak the photos ?? mmi let me down on this one.. you should take this report down 100% !!!

Thanks

Works in my state

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xacoffeemx View Post
    I think you're mistaking Mb with MB which in fact are COMPLETELY different.

If you talk in terms of 5 megabytes to 7 megabytes per second, that's a 50Mbps fiber optic internet speed in a residents home. You're downloading 1-2 songs PER second at v0 quality with that speed.

In my area with 3G (Los Angeles), I'm lucky if I get a consistent 3-5 Mbps on my 3G with AT&T. I'm really looking forward to 4G LTE as I will have to rely less on Wi-Fi connectivity for a fast connection.
    Apologies, that was a typo. I am talking 5-7 Megabits per second (or ~ 500-700kbps) which I still think is more than enough for a phone or even an iPad. It's enough to stream video, or to download an album in a few minutes, or download apps (granted you might need to use 3G unrestricted from Cysia)

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by g12007 View Post
    thats BS cant show the pixs now?? so you want all this rumor traffic on your site and cant even leak the photos ?? mmi let me down on this one.. you should take this report down 100% !!!

I don't see you posting articles or leaking pictures so...

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 660 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by matrixhunter View Post
    Actually what apple needs to do is allow cutomization like android has with there software to keep up with the times we need to be able to customize without jailbreaking
    I agree here with you on that point. And you will with IOS 5.

What will be nice is Apple have the 4G in place so then ATT can enable it when ready. My buddies has Moto Atrix and they did that with him, we were driving and he got a update for enabling 4G. He ran the update and sure enough he restarted his phone and BAM there it was So i guess some of this 4G stuff isnt all hardware like some were claiming in other threads/postings there is some software involved.

Thanks

Would a 4g iPad be to obvious?

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 660 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by g12007 View Post
    I saw the pic earlier, no biggy dude. Just a pic showing couple pieces of equipment mount on a wall and the cables. Thats it

Green Apple
    Thanks
    But what about the micro-sim? That wasn't widespread but yet Apple put it in the iPhone 4.

Also to the other people that say 3G is terrible in the US so why setup 4G.. Well wouldn't that be the reason to use 4G? With the lower band frequency you get better distance and faster speeds which to me sounds exactly the reason to move to 4G and on another note here in Australia we have a new 4G LTE network being built by our largest telco and they have tested speeds at 88mbs which is amazing and would be more of reason to drop the ADSL and tether more often at home.