+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Suspicious Pics Suggest 4G LTE Network Equipment is Hitting Apple Retail Stores

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple put a micro sim in the iPhone 4 out of necessity to save space. The misuse of MB and Mb in general gave me a nice laugh Oh and
    Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Apple put a micro sim in the iPhone 4 out of necessity to save space. The misuse of MB and Mb in general gave me a nice laugh

Oh and in case anyone cares...

1 GB (Gigabyte) - 1024MB (Megabyte)

1MB = 1024 Kilobyte (kb)

1 kilobyte = 8192 bits

The basic is 1 byte = 8 bits , 1 kilobyte = 1024 byte

When companies advertise speed they LOVE to do it in bits instead of bytes so it inflates the number. For example I get up to 30Mbps at my house which equates to about 1.8MBps.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 08-16-2011 at 06:22 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone waroftyr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    I still don't believe we are getting a 4G iPhone this go around....it just seems to uncharacteristic of Apple being that 4G/LTE isn't really that widespread yet.
    Ya apple does tend to wait till things are widespread, especially recent apple. Thunderbolt helps make your case on that one
    If i said something you like or helped you out, don't be shy hit that thanks button

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Ugh....all this 3G/4G/LTE/MBs talk is giving me a headache.

Just wait for the freakin' phone. Or a leak....whichever comes first.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Apple put a micro sim in the iPhone 4 out of necessity to save space. The misuse of MB and Mb in general gave me a nice laugh

1MB = 1024 Kilobyte (kb)

1 kilobyte = 8192 bits

When companies advertise speed they LOVE to do it in bits instead of bytes so it inflates the number. For example I get up to 30Mbps at my house which equates to about 1.8MBps.

HOLY CRAP 30MBps hahaha jk jk jk jk dont hate me lol.... i just wanted to state i like your post
    When the police want to know where someone is, they ask apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Look we all know how Apple does business. They MILK the market as much as they possibly can.

They will release the iPhone 5 and then a iPhone 5 with 4G right after or some other similar scenario like that..

I wouldn't be surprised if they released the iPhone 4 with 4G and iOS5 and then the iPhone 5..

Same crap they did with the iPhone then iPhone 3G and then 3GS.. lol

Thanks

I believe the upcoming iPhone will be called iPhone 4S followed by iPhone 4G... Either way, I won't be buying another iPhone until data caps are removed and Apple significantly improves the battery life!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Here in Canada, Rogers network will be running LTE ( Long Term Evolution ) this September .
    This would definitely make me upgrade from my 2nd gen iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

1MB = 1024 Kilobyte (kb)

1 kilobyte = 8192 bits

You are right about Mb and MB, but, with all my respect, you miscalculated in the last sentence. 30 Mbps equals rounded to 3.58 MB/s.

iPhone? More like MyPhone CONVBMW's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    I don't see why people are clamoring for 4G tech. From the sounds of it 3G speeds in the U.S. aren't that good, what makes people think the Carriers will deliver good 4G speeds?

I get a consistent 5MB/s - 7MB/s on 3G, not really a need for faster speeds on a phone.
    Are you kidding me ? Verizon KILLS it. I have seen it myself and its ridiculously fast n
    Last edited by CONVBMW; 08-16-2011 at 11:54 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    I agree here with you on that point. And you will with IOS 5.

What will be nice is Apple have the 4G in place so then ATT can enable it when ready. My buddies has Moto Atrix and they did that with him, we were driving and he got a update for enabling 4G. He ran the update and sure enough he restarted his phone and BAM there it was So i guess some of this 4G stuff isnt all hardware like some were claiming in other threads/postings there is some software involved.
    Clearly you don't know what you are talking about, the atrix is HSDPA+ which is not 4g, it is actually more like 3.5g. There is a big difference between that and 4G LTE.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    I agree here with you on that point. And you will with IOS 5.

What will be nice is Apple have the 4G in place so then ATT can enable it when ready. My buddies has Moto Atrix and they did that with him, we were driving and he got a update for enabling 4G. He ran the update and sure enough he restarted his phone and BAM there it was So i guess some of this 4G stuff isnt all hardware like some were claiming in other threads/postings there is some software involved.
    wrong ios 5 will not allow customization except for the widgets in the notfication center thats not what i meant i want widgets on the homescreen with live wallpaper and customize my each individual home screens

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I don't see why people are clamoring for 4G tech. From the sounds of it 3G speeds in the U.S. aren't that good, what makes people think the Carriers will deliver good 4G speeds?

I get a consistent 5MB/s - 7MB/s on 3G, not really a need for faster speeds on a phone.
    Besides the others that have corrected you on your MB/Mb usage, consider yourself lucky if you get 5 Mbps on AT&T 3G. I think most would agree that is the high end of service.

I just did a test and got 0.54 Mbps on my 3G. Are you kidding me??? The fastest I have ever gotten is around 1.8 Mbps.

I guess my point is don't assume everyone has the same experience. I feel like 3G is still very slow and would welcome a Verizon LTE iPhone with open arms as we're getting LTE this year.

(On a side note, why is it AT&T LTE equipment in the article? They've barely done any LTE expansion compared to Verizon.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Here in Canada, Rogers network will be running LTE ( Long Term Evolution ) this September .
    this makes the iphone 5 a tad bit more appealing for me now
    should it come out with lte support
    Last edited by Evilsaint; 08-17-2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: missing point

PM me if u think my sigs nice

Green Apple
    Thanks

LOL personally i've seen Verizon 4G can get as high as 45mbps

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mysterion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ehren88888 View Post
    LOL personally i've seen Verizon 4G can get as high as 45mbps
    Blazing fast

Thanks

A general rule is that transmission speed should be measured in bits. Storage and capacity should be measured in Bytes. Of course, you'll find LOTS of exceptions. It's just a general rule.

Quote Originally Posted by akoae View Post
    You are right about Mb and MB, but, with all my respect, you miscalculated in the last sentence. 30 Mbps equals rounded to 3.58 MB/s.
    30 [mbps] / 8 = 3.75 [mBps]. Where do you guys get "3.58" and "1.8" from?!

Apologies, that was a typo. I am talking 5-7 Megabits per second (or ~ 500-700kbps) ...
    You're still off by a factor of at least 10! Even if you had to guess without calculating, 5mbps-7mbps would be roughly 5,000kbps-7,000kbps. Not "500-700kbps."

Precisely:
    5mbps = 5,120kbps
    7mbps = 7,168kbps
    Last edited by Shigoroku; 08-18-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I don't think he miscalculated, I think it was what he is actually getting on his 30mb connection which is sad because on my 20mb connection I can download at 2MB flat which is a little under the 1/8th theoretical maximum but not one will ever achieve that and I think 1/10th is pretty good.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shigoroku View Post
    30 [mbps] / 8 = 3.75 [mBps]. Where do you guys get "3.58" and "1.8" coming from ?!
    Your mistake is that you start with 30 Mb, when for proper calculating you shoud start with 30 000 000 b, and then you will end up with the number of mine. Thats is the same reason why 1 TB hard drive has ~931,32 GB (they actually have 1 000 000 000 000 B).

@Stumbow Actually, he said "equates", and that is why I wrote my post. As i said, it is only miscalculation, from his posts I have read, Poseidon is proven to have great aknowledge on the matter and a lot of common sence (the second is only related as a resistence to unneccessary hype and impulse buying, which I greatly respect).

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh how this discussion has strayed off topic...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Oh how this discussion has strayed off topic...
    After so many months with no other replies, it appears we were done with the topic anyway, so:

Your mistake is that you start with 30 Mb, when for proper calculating you shoud start with 30 000 000 b, and then you will end up with the number of mine. Thats is the same reason why 1 TB hard drive has ~931,32 GB (they actually have 1 000 000 000 000 B).

@Stumbow Actually, he said "equates", and that is why I wrote my post. As i said, it is only miscalculation, from his posts I have read, Poseidon is proven to have great aknowledge on the matter and a lot of common sence (the second is only related as a resistence to unneccessary hype and impulse buying, which I greatly respect).
    *FACEPALM*

1 mbps = 1024 kbps
    1 kbps = 1024 bps
    1 mbps = 1,048,576 bps
    1 mbps != 1,000,000 bps
    30 mbps =
    30 mbps != 30,000,000 bps

The reason KB, MB, and a GB don't equal nice round numbers is because they are from base-2 binary numeric calculations (we count with base 10 decimal).

The reason HDDs measure differently is because a difference of 24/1000 (3/125) was negligible back in the days of much lower capacity and people were OK with a "Megabyte" sometimes meaning "a million bytes." Even when it came to Gigabytes, it wasn't that far off until they grew into tens of Gigabytes. Eventually, a proper distinction was made and now HDD storage is measured in GB and other storage is measured in GiB. This never had anything to do with bits/bytes or transmission speeds (bits/bytes per unit of time).

A bit is a 1 or 0, which is an almost uselessly small unit of measurement for anything non-boolean (true/false). A byte is 8 bits because that is what we use to encode a single character (letter, number, symbol). A and I are entire words that can be encoded in one byte. See how much more useful it is?