+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T, Verizon Rumored to Be Testing 4G-Capable LTE iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default AT&T, Verizon Rumored to Be Testing 4G-Capable LTE iPhone

Although there is little evidence to support the suspicion that the 5th generation iPhone will deliver LTE compatibility, it's all but inevitable that a future iPhone will. And if new reports that iPhone carriers are now actively testing a 4G-capable prototype, the eventuality referenced above may become reality much sooner than most anticipate.

According to our friends at BGR, Apple is, indeed, angling for iPhone support of the high-speed 4G network standard. Evidence comes in the form of reports that Apple's carrier partners are - at this very moment - testing one such futuristic model.

"While we can’t confirm that the upcoming fifth-generation iPhone will be able to support 4G LTE," the BGR report reads, "we can now exclusively confirm that Apple’s carrier partners are testing iPhone models with LTE capability."

This "exclusive" confirmation comes as little consolation to those hoping for a 4G bombshell with the iPhone 5. But it looks like we're still at least one generation device behind the "future of mobile technology." As 4G LTE networks continue emerge across the globe, Apple has more than enough motivation to get the job done and finally release a 4G-capable handset.

Source: BGR

Thanks

I just waiting for the new i5 , I'm gonna get it ,,,I got all 4 iPhones ,,,will be nice a iPhone with 4g capable
    Last edited by plumoso; 08-15-2011 at 12:29 PM.
    pain & time and glory

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I just hope the 4G isn't like the current ATT 4G phones where the battery sucks. My iPhone4 is awesome on battery with heavy use IMO and hope they keep that type of battery life. I would still be ok with a 3.5G phone as long as the battery lasts the whole day.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Really? They are testing 4G iPhones? OMG testing phones before release to public? What a concept!
    With capped speed after certain amount of download 4G just means hitting that cap sooner.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Really? They are testing 4G iPhones? OMG testing phones before release to public? What a concept!
    With capped speed after certain amount of download 4G just means hitting that cap sooner.
    douche... u act like apple never tests their phones... lolz

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

I wish they would stop using that old photo of an iPhone 4 with the aftermarket backplate. Yuck!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioles33 View Post
    I wish they would stop using that old photo of an iPhone 4 with the aftermarket backplate. Yuck!
    I like it

Yah as good as It sounds I highly doubt we will have an LTE capable iPhone before the end of the year. Most likely the next generation.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buttrr76 View Post
    My reply actually have 2 meanings... #1 Not hard to guess they are testing LTE phones now, afterall it is about to be released, so being sarcastic since the author of this post like to state the obvious and steal from other sites. #2 taking a jab at Apple with the iPhone4 even with testing they can not find the antennagate problem.....

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Come on Man...
    It's called sarcasm, no need to revert to name calling....do your parents know you visit this site?

Thanks

I hope to see a LTE iPhone soon, because Rogers is already rolling out LTE in Canada

Thanks

He was being sarcastic. Douche

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

LTE would be nice, though not necessary. 3G is plenty fast. I don't know what anyone could do with 1+ mbit speeds on a phone. The benefit of 4G is latency IMO. Tethering to an online game is feasible (although not if I have t pay for tethering). If we do see LTE iPhone I hope data plans/prices don't change. If they do, this next phone would have to be something spectacular for me to upgrade.

Thanks

Testing & LTE iphone is nice but DOUBT we'll see one this year.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    LTE would be nice, though not necessary. 3G is plenty fast. I don't know what anyone could do with 1+ mbit speeds on a phone. The benefit of 4G is latency IMO. Tethering to an online game is feasible (although not if I have t pay for tethering). If we do see LTE iPhone I hope data plans/prices don't change. If they do, this next phone would have to be something spectacular for me to upgrade.
    I agree. If more than half the users would have 4G by the end of this year then i would be all for it. Most people will not. Sprint was charging $10 extra a month for 4G phones (and a few other smart phones) when only very little people could access the 4G network. I know San Diego will be getting 4G within 2012 so i wouldnt mind if 4G became available say March and i had to wait a few months for the next iphone with 4G capabilities.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DnBKiD521 View Post
    He was being sarcastic. Douche
    Ah yes... A forum just wouldn't be complete without adolescent ignorance...

I actually like that aftermarket back btw... And it's as good as anyone's guess as to what the new iPhone is really going to look like.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Problem is the service, not sure about the coverage on AT&T or Verizon. If it is not in service in my area, having the LTE ability don't mean anything to me. Also this capped speed after certain amount of download sucks, I long for the time when unlimited actually means no limits. Might have to switch to Sprint because they are the best on data, since I am not going with iPhone anymore that would not be a problem.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Problem is the service, not sure about the coverage on AT&T or Verizon. If it is not in service in my area, having the LTE ability don't mean anything to me. Also this capped speed after certain amount of download sucks, I long for the time when unlimited actually means no limits. Might have to switch to Sprint because they are the best on data, since I am not going with iPhone anymore that would not be a problem.
    I have a Sprint line through work. If you want slow data, go for it - fwiw I used it in SoCal too, where you seem to live. During peak hours I would be under 100kbit... unacceptable to me. I happily pay for ATT service just for the data. In any case, if they DON'T change plans, I have no reason not to want an LTE capable phone. Rather, I will have no issues with the next iPhone being LTE capable. If they do impose some stupid new data plan/price, I will stick with the iPhone 4.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings