+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Gartner Research Shows iOS, Android Claiming 62% of Total Smartphone Market

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Gartner Research Shows iOS, Android Claiming 62% of Total Smartphone Market

The smartphone world is dominated by two platforms - Android and iOS. And it doesn't appear the two giants will be doing serious battle with anyone other than themselves for the foreseeable future - that's according to the latest research from advisory firm Gartner.

Google and Apple are the big winners in the smartphone ecosystem, Gartner declares. The combined share of iOS and Android in the smartphone operating system market doubled to nearly 62 percent in the second quarter of 2011, up from just over 31 percent in the corresponding period of 2010.

And while iOS and Android jointly capture a bigger chunk of the smartphone market, the smartphone market itself is growing at an even faster rate. Worldwide sales of mobile devices to end users totaled 428.7 million units in the second quarter of 2011, a 16.5 percent increase from the second quarter of 2010. Sales of smartphones, on the other hand, spiked 74 percent year-over-year and accounted for 25 percent of overall sales in the second quarter of 2011. That's up from 17 percent in the second quarter of 2010.

“Smartphone sales continued to rise at the expense of feature phones,” said Roberta Cozza, principal research analyst at Gartner. “Consumers in mature markets are choosing entry-level and midrange Android smartphones over feature phones, partly due to carriers’ and manufacturers’ promotions.” However, Cozza adds, replacement sales in Western Europe showed "signs of fatigue" as smartphone sales declined quarter-on-quarter.

To read more from the Gartner report, click here.

Source: Gartner

Thanks

Windows mango looks pretty good.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Whatever, smartphones are crippled without unlimited data!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ibwizzle View Post
    whatever, smartphones are crippled without unlimited data!
    agreed 100%

Green Apple
    Thanks

To be more exact Google’s Android is the top phone operating system but Nokia hangs on as top manufacturer

Symbian market is still at 22.1 percent
    Apple IOS with 18.2 Percent.

Android Grabs 43.4% Market Share.

Source Gardener: Nokia Wanes As Android Grabs 43.4% Market Share | eWEEK Europe UK

Android is far more popular and stronger than Ios

Green Apple
    Thanks

The only reason andriod has more of a share is there are more handsets that use android and most of them cost pennies compared to an idevice. Id rather have the latter because not only do idevices look good but there is simplicity in the design
    No Sig Spam..

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mysterion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomlangford001 View Post
    The only reason andriod has more of a share is there are more handsets that use android and most of them cost pennies compared to an idevice. Id rather have the latter because not only do idevices look good but there is simplicity in the design
    Agree

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iBwizzle View Post
    Whatever, smartphones are crippled without unlimited data!
    I don't think they are crippled at all. 2gb data is more than enough data for the average smartphone user, and if you are one of the 5% high data users, you are welcome to drop your carrier and get one with unlimited data... The problem is there are very few. I know a local carrier where I'm from that offers unlimited data, but it's not national. I find I normally use around 1.5 gb a month, and I use data all the time. I just don't watch movies on 3G. However, I'm always downloading and streaming music on it...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    I don't think they are crippled at all. 2gb data is more than enough data for the average smartphone user, and if you are one of the 5% high data users, you are welcome to drop your carrier and get one with unlimited data... The problem is there are very few. I know a local carrier where I'm from that offers unlimited data, but it's not national. I find I normally use around 1.5 gb a month, and I use data all the time. I just don't watch movies on 3G. However, I'm always downloading and streaming music on it...
    Ha', you made me laugh! The 95% are paying more for less. Smh

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iBwizzle View Post
    Ha', you made me laugh! The 95% are paying more for less. Smh
    No, technically we are paying less for less. The unlimited plan costs $30 a month. I only pay $25, I never watch my data usage, and I never go over. Get your facts straight. The only thing you can say is the 5% with unlimited data hogging the network is that they are paying a little more for MUCH more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    No, technically we are paying less for less. The unlimited plan costs $30 a month. I only pay $25, I never watch my data usage, and I never go over. Get your facts straight. The only thing you can say is the 5% with unlimited data hogging the network is that they are paying a little more for MUCH more.
    Wow no confetti when you said said... You need to get your facts together! You mention the $30 unlimited plan as if its still available; hence you're argument was futile. Then again, if I were the average consumer like you who relied heavily on subsidize prices through the carrier I probably wouldn't complain either.