Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon Joins AT&T in Effort to Stop Tethering Via Jailbreak Apps

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Verizon Joins AT&T in Effort to Stop Tethering Via Jailbreak Apps

On August 4th, MMi reported that AT&T was ready to begin canning the unlimited data plans of subscribers who have jailbroken their iPhones and tether/hotspot off of AT&T's no-longer offered unlimited data plans. Word first surfaced of this development when readers began hearing from AT&T about the matter in question.

At the time, it was believed that Thursday, August 11th would bring with it an end to unlimited data for those who commit the offense described above. Now, with one day remaining before this supposed deadline, we're hearing that Verizon is employing similar measures to crack down on those who "abuse" data privileges.

It appears that Verizon is going to pull the plug on customers' unlimited data plans if they are using jailbreak apps to dodge the carrier's associated tethering fees. AT&T addressed the matter by enrolling jailbroken tetherers onto its cheapest data tethering plan ($45 a month). And it may be safe to expect Verizon to do the same.

"For consumers," a piece in Forbes this week reads, "Verizonís move shows carriers are taking their new data plans seriously. With carriers throttling unlimited data speeds to counter those who use too much data, and illegal tetherers now forced onto more expensive plans, wireless companies are changing the data landscape."

Source: Forbes

Default I cant beleive this
    Guys, why cant the devs that created and maintain MyWi just include an update that allows you to hide from carrier when one is tethering. There has to be a work around! This needs to be addressed immediately!

I still find it stupid that Americans have to pay extra to tether their phone in the first place. They're paying for a certain amount of data, so don't punish them for how they use it

iPhone? More like MyPhone ChSchuldiner's Avatar
    Thanks

Funny that they have an AT&T iPhone in the picture. I have TetherMe working fine despite the theory that they're blocking and redirecting the tethering.

Because tethering typically uses FAR more data than what the phone would use by itself.

Seriously, you people who try to "hide" and tether when it's not part of your plan are clogging up the networks for the rest of us, including the ones who legitimately pay for tethering service.

Thanks

Totally agree with both Aware and Waldo...!! I told all of my friends early last year that data plans will soon cost more than voice plans. Think about how much you text/stream versus anything voice related on your phone. You play games that need a data connection...you send texts that need a data connection...you tether and that needs a data connection. Looks like DATA is taking over the smart phone market! Get ready for ridiculously priced plans and the MEGA CORPORATIONS telling you how to use it...pathetic really!

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    Because tethering typically uses FAR more data than what the phone would use by itself.

Seriously, you people who try to "hide" and tether when it's not part of your plan are clogging up the networks for the rest of us, including the ones who legitimately pay for tethering service.

wow man , your oblivious.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 741 Posts

I agree whereswaldo, i have the unlimited plan myself and why do i have to pay more money just to link it to my laptop? its not like it any faster or anything? Just routing the signal to the computer from the phone, same signal and same speed. So who cares what type of device is using it?

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Thats like the cable TV company telling me to only watch certain channels and not for too long. If I watch to much TV on my "unlimited plan" than they will charge more. Thats BS!
    Thats how the data providers are acting. If they don't want people using it they shouldn't have offered an unlimited plan.

Thanks

The bottum line is the carriers are double dipping because they don't want to spend the money to upgrade the networks for the amount of data they handle.

Data is Data...I don't care how you work it it's still Data...If I pay for a Data Package on my contract then I should be able to use that Data however I see fit, be it tethering or WiFi Hotspot, or surfing the app store for an hour looking for a new game i'll play once and forget about...It doesn't matter what I do with my Data it's MY DATA I Pay for it.

The carriers use legal ******** and double speak and semantics to try to separate Data usage so they can charge you twice for the same damn thing. It's total ******** and the carriers need to back off.

and as far as those of you who pay extra for tethering...Sorry your speed may or may not be affected by free users who refuse to pay twice for Data...but you chose to pay twice for the same thing rather then fight it, it's wrong to charge twice for data any way you slice it....

How do they know if your tethering or not ?

how can they know if your tethering or not ?

Desperately waitng for the Sprint iPhone.... Real unlimited plan.

Is disapointing that had to switch carriers after 9 years...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freddiepr View Post

I agree 100%

As I recall it was Att who introduced me to tethering (Att 8525 with tethering program pre installed). They also suggested the unlimited plan, as I was hit with outrageous data charges for overage (3 or 4 MB's).
    Att didn't care they just wanted the $. 5 years later I can't officially tether and have to watch my data usage. I only tether during emergencies and use less than 1Gb a month. Does that make me a data hog?What's the use of an unlimited plan?
    I've yet to receive the ATT text. I'd probably switch companies if/when they get around to me.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 741 Posts

I wouldn't goto Sprint, slow ***** network. My iPhone 4 download on 3G was faster than my buddies EVO 4G on there whatever 4G network they call it "Winmax" or whatever.
    Last edited by Carvensno; 08-10-2011 at 01:47 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awareunlikeu View Post
    Guys, why cant the devs that created and maintain MyWi just include an update that allows you to hide from carrier when one is tethering. There has to be a work around! This needs to be addressed immediately!
    GREAT idea! That or have a hack that when your tethering a giant middle finger pops up on all AT&T's office computer monitors?

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    I still find it stupid that Americans have to pay extra to tether their phone in the first place. They're paying for a certain amount of data, so don't punish them for how they use it
    I'm sure they wouldn't care if you were illegally tethering with a capped plan. They do not like unlimited users who are not a "certain amount of data" client to be tethering.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

dude how come this site doesnt show comments?

Im waiting for tomorrow to verify if they go thru with this change. If they do, im switching to Sprint, iPhone is great, but not worth the crap...

Also, i kinda hope the iPhone doesnt make it to Sprint, seems where ever it goes, bull$H!t starts on the unlimited plans.

Quote Originally Posted by seph213 View Post
    How do they know if your tethering or not ?

how can they know if your tethering or not ?
    Yes, how do they know? When I tether I am usually just browsing for a lil bit, not sucking down BW. That's just like browsing on your phone and getting games off app store right? So I got this txt, and was debating on calling and acting dumb, like "whats tethering?!?" does anyone here work for AT&T or herd anyone dealing with this issue? I have been with AT&T over 8 years, and have the unlimited plan.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast